Thread: Recording Externally - Help!

Recording Externally - Help!

Hi everyone,

I have a question about recording my DJ set externally - I know this topic has been addressed many times but I cannot find an answer to my specific question.

My current setup is 2x CDJ 350's with a Behringer mixer. My mixer does not have a 'rec' output only a master, booth, and tape. I also have an audio interface which I would like to use to record my set. Firstly, is it possible to record a set from my booth output using a RCA to TRS adapter (audio interface)? And secondly, is this the wisest setup for me if I plan on doing livestreams? I know the option of a TRRS adapter exists.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Thread moved to beginners.

Similar threads are below yours.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...-or-livestream

Seeing you want to run a TRRS adapter, you might want to know that phones are not designed to record audio at CD quality standard.

My mixer does not have a 'rec' output only a master, booth, and tape.
    Tape is a line out for recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Tape is a line out for recording.

... except Manu isn't stupid.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post

Seeing you want to run a TRRS adapter, you might want to know that phones are not designed to record audio at CD quality standard.
    I decided to buy two RCA to TS cables to run out of my booth output into the two input channels on my audio interface. I see the stereo advantage of this. I should be able to use that as an audio source during streams/recordings, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mansa View Post
    I decided to buy two RCA to TS cables to run out of my booth output into the two input channels on my audio interface. I see the stereo advantage of this. I should be able to use that as an audio source during streams/recordings, correct?
    Technically, yes; practically - no. The problem is that with the booth-output you'll have to gain-stage (manage the volume) of your booth outputs. Just use the tape-out and you'll get a solid line-out level signal.

The Tape-Out is an output made to connect to a tape-recorder, which was a device that recorded a line-level signal directly to tape. Nowadays, you can use that same signal to go to a digital recorder - but it uses the same connector.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Yes, tape/rec out was originally designed for recording.

Basically in most mixers it isn't dependant on the master/zone volume which lets you adjust the master volume and record bands/sets for example in a live situation without affecting the actual recording level.

There are situations where it could be too loud for the recording device and your master levels are ok, the only option is to turn down the channel gains and volumes so as not to overdrive the master bus, this depends on the internal circuitry though.

In streaming this means you need to gain stage the channels properly, as you won't have any control over the sound levels (except for the input device, usually people would tell you it distorts) but before recording it's usually adviced to record a test take, 10-20secs or so to check the levels.

Using booth out it's another thing but you at least have a quick volume control for it, although in case you have something else running off the mixer like monitors, zone speakers etc the downside is you need to run them off the master channel.

Most tape/rec outs I've seen are spec'd +4dBu unbalanced RCA.

Thank you very much for the reply guys. I think I'm starting to understand the whole configuration - will definitely read more about it too. Cheers!