Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems recording video or livestream

Question Problems recording video or livestream

Hi everybody,

New to the forum so not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question. I want to record a video or livestream of my DJ set with my phone. I found some videos online on how to get a good sound quality with your video. I have a Numark NS7, a Samsung S8 phone and connected the 2 (following instructions found online) by going from my Booth-out with an RCA to 1/8" cable and connecting that one via TRS to TRSS cable to my phone. However when i hit record on my phone camera and start playing, it still records sound from the speakers, and not from the controller. What am I doing wrong?

Thread moved to beginners

Your phone will only ever do mono audio, and while possible, is not the most user-friendly way to go about recording/streaming.

The best solution is to buy an old pc/laptop with a line-in (most new laptops just have a single 4 pole jack, so not stereo).
    I literally use a 14 year old laptop to do this job. It frees up my main laptop just to handle the DVS. So there's no clash with having multiple soundcards handling multiple sources.

A cheap old laptop would cost very little and solve your problem the easiest way.

Otherwise you are looking at configuing your android to handle the recording/streaming + audio/video and taking a mono input from the jack. Which may be possible, may give acceptable results, but will certainly be a headache (and probably end up costing you more than a cheap old second hand laptop)
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

via TRS to TRSS cable to my phone
    Phone is not getting a signal from the TRSS cable and defaulting on the built in mic.

Besides, the input is mono mic level, not stereo line level. You are trying to use a device that has no line in recording. If you managed to force the sound through the mic input, this would result in even worse sound quality. Phones inputs are 40 mV mono, line level is 180 stereo. Simply put using a simple maths correlation: you cannot put 36 pounds of potatoes in a 4 pound bag.

You can do what Pete said as an efficient low cost measure (I just scored a 10 year old laptop from a friend, in excellent condition for £0). You are currently using a device that does not have a line in, so not able to be used as a line level audio recorder.
    Last edited by Manu; 03-30-2020 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse1977 View Post
    Hi everybody,

New to the forum so not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question. I want to record a video or livestream of my DJ set with my phone. I found some videos online on how to get a good sound quality with your video. I have a Numark NS7, a Samsung S8 phone and connected the 2 (following instructions found online) by going from my Booth-out with an RCA to 1/8" cable and connecting that one via TRS to TRSS cable to my phone. However when i hit record on my phone camera and start playing, it still records sound from the speakers, and not from the controller. What am I doing wrong?
    Open your settings / privacy / app settings / microphone

Make sure your camera is enabled to use the mic.

Also, the line coming out of your mixer is too hot for your phone. You will nee to buy some type of attenuator that cools the signal down to mic level.

Your TRRS cable is correct for what you are trying to do.

The signal path should look something like this:

Mixer RCA output - some type of RCA cable - attenuator - another type of cable - TRS to TRRS cable - your phone.

There's other ways to do it depending upon what type of attenuator you buy.

Some attenuators are a small box that have either RCA inputs and outputs, or they have TRS inputs and outputs. Others are a cable that attenuates. There's also RCA attenuators that you plug directly into the mixer RCA output.

Streaming DJ sets via your smartphone is very common. You just need the right stuff for it, which is an attenuator and a TRS to TRRS cable.

Just so you know, TRS refers to the style of the plug. A typical 1/8" (3.2mm) jack has a Tip, one Ring, and a Shield = TRS

1/8" jacks that are utilized by microphones have a Tip, one Ring, another Ring, and a Shield = TRRS

With TRRS, the shield is for the microphone.

[IMG][/IMG]

Get an old Windows XP laptop. Usually free or extremely cheap.
    XP is so old it will definitely have a line input. And most recording software is XP compatible.

An old MacBook might work, but you probably won't find one for free. On the other hand, it will come with Garage Band.
    I said might because Apple likes to use uncommon plugs and jacks, so it might not have a mini TRS input. (1/8" stereo input)
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Get an old Windows XP laptop. Usually free or extremely cheap.
    XP is so old it will definitely have a line input. And most recording software is XP compatible.

An old MacBook might work, but you probably won't find one for free. On the other hand, it will come with Garage Band.
    I said might because Apple likes to use uncommon plugs and jacks, so it might not have a mini TRS input. (1/8" stereo input)
    But then he'll have to buy a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by steveryan View Post
    But then he'll have to buy a camera.
    His phone probably has a video camera. If not an old digital camera isn't very expensive. I see a lot of Sony Cyber-Shot cameras for under $50 in thrift shops and pawnshop. The Cyber-Shot was a popular camera with YouTubers a few years ago when people were still recording in 720p.

Just like old laptops you can probably find an old digital camera for free. They are both items people tend to upgrade every 3 or 4 years.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 04-01-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    His phone probably has a video camera. If not an old digital camera isn't very expensive. I see a lot of Sony Cyber-Shot cameras for under $50 in thrift shops and pawnshop. The Cyber-Shot was a popular camera with YouTubers a few years ago when people were still recording in 720p.

Just like old laptops you can probably find an old digital camera for free. They are both items people tend to upgrade every 3 or 4 years.
    Record the audio with the laptop and the video with the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by steveryan View Post
    Record the audio with the laptop and the video with the phone?
    Yes