Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB audio interface for recording via a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by B3NNY View Post
    You obviously can make sure the input is set to Line level inside your PC/Mac and manually switch it if need be.
    I have never seen that option on a PC and i have only heard of it on a MAC
    I Have Come Here To Kick Ass And Chew Bubblegum, And I Am All Out Of Bubblegum!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerick View Post
    Thought it was pretty common. My last 2 PC's had it, my last 2 laptops had it including my newest one. Search around, you'll see that a lot of people record their sets this way. It's nothing new

Thought it was pretty common. My last 2 PC's had it, my last 2 laptops had it including my newest one. Search around, you'll see that a lot of people record their sets this way. It's nothing new
    Everyone I heard that tried recording thru the MIC sounded distorted, lots of them on stickam, using a Line-in/Line level input has always given me the best sound in the situation the OP described.
    I Have Come Here To Kick Ass And Chew Bubblegum, And I Am All Out Of Bubblegum!

Everyone I heard that tried recording thru the MIC sounded distorted, lots of them on stickam, using a Line-in/Line level input has always given me the best sound in the situation the OP described.
    Ok, I can see you're just gonna be stubborn about this, so I quit.

Sigma;
    I suggest trying out recording thru Audacity. The software is free, easy to use, and many people do it this way. Obviously make sure your input is set to Line level (it's not rocket science, but apparently it's a hard concept to grasp)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicadraus View Post
    For simple recording purposes, the Behringer UCA-202/UCA-222 will do the job. I have the 202 and still use it for quick recordings and vinyl ripping. It's really cheap and handy. But since money is not an issue, then the Audio 2 DJ will be perfect.
    UCA 202 would def work. It's cheapest I've seen, and I've produced everything on my soundcloud with it. I used it to record my moog voyager for my track 'of chorus', and I think the recording turned out well. I'm investing to buy an mbox soon, as I'm getting into production more seriously ow, but for recording DJ mixes it would more than adequately perform the job. Cheap, <b>lightweight</b>, and good quality. I think the determining factor of sound quality will be the bit rate of your friend's music, along with any touch ups he might do in post.

Mine's lasted 4 years almost, but I would venture to say that's not normal probably for all uca 202's. Can't beat it's portability, simplicity, and quality for 35-40 bucks IMO. If money isn't an issue though, something more like Audio 2 DJ or better would prob be preferable.

I also would advise against a MIC input; if the mixes are going to be shared to people, it's worth putting some $ into something designed to record audio rather than trying to make do.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanHadgis View Post
    I also would advise against a MIC input; if the mixes are going to be shared to people, it's worth putting some $ into something designed to record audio rather than trying to make do.
    Here's another one . It's for recording a mix....unless his soundcard is terrible there's no way you'll be able to tell the difference between this and an external interface.

I know a lot of people just get a RCA to 1/8" stereo jack wire and connect from their mixer to the MIC input on their laptop and record their mixes using Audacity (free open source software for Mac and PC)
    Use a line input and that works.

If he actually wants a sound card and doesn't want it for anything else, I'm impressed with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. For <$150, you get decent converters and direct hardware monitoring. The pres kind of sound bleh, but…they're interface pres. They all suck.

Here's another one . It's for recording a mix....unless his soundcard is terrible there's no way you'll be able to tell the difference between this and an external interface.
    Well, if you can't tell the difference between a cheap mic input on a laptop vs. a dedicated audio interface, I guess it's fine for you then

You obviously can make sure the input is set to Line level inside your PC/Mac and manually switch it if need be.
    9/10 PCs are mic only. Apple based PCs have the ability to switch, but that's a pretty exclusive feature.

What brands/models? I've not seen this at all and you are implying that this is run-of-the-mill.

Again, if it's a mic level and not a line level, it sounds like sh!t, plain and simple. It's not about being stubborn, it's just that the majority of us here have only seen a "switch to line level" option on Macs.

You are acting like people are splitting hairs when obviously most of us have not seen a line level option available. I'm going to look through my i5 Lenovo right now to see if it is available.

Again, give us some examples.

EDIT:

Is this what you are talking about?

I've only seen this on this laptop and didn't even know it was there, but I still recommend an inexpensive dedicated sound card for any type of recording or broadcasting... But that is just me.
    Last edited by l0ckd0wn; 02-10-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell | "Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire