Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best hardware synths for techno/dark tech house

best hardware synths for techno/dark tech house

Hello peeps,

I want to buy a hardware synth. (Yes I have done some research but I can not decide. There is no shop where I live so I cannot go and try in store)

I want to use it to produce techno and tech house, so it would have to be fairly versatile.

I would be willing to spend no more than 1000 euros.

I dont mind if its rack mounted or already equiped with keyboard. I'm more interested in the sounds quality.

I've been looking at synths like the
    - DSI prophet 05, 08
    - supernova 2 (very hard to find)

If any one has any tips on machines that are made for techno please let me know.

P.S please do not suggest soft synths i'm looking for hardware synths only.

Good to see you're going to join the hardware cult Careful, you might start getting GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)

Seems you're looking for some synths that might make more cold/techy type interesting sounds as opposed to the warmer pad type stuff? Could definitely lean more towards virtual analogues, as long as you're ok with spending some time programming. My suggestions and prices I see on ebay:

1. Waldorf Blofeld rack/keyboard - $450. Good for real interesting sounds, going to have to be fine with working more on programming because of lack of knobs, but extreemely flexible. Maybe the pulse/wave could be interesting too for you
    2. Used virus ti polar/keyboard. (Snows go for ~1000, but they have less voices and less processing power) $1200-1400. Extremely flexible too, capable of interesting sounds, but also bread and butter stuff. IMO a great first piece of kit to build off of. Also include onboard effects which is nice. I'm buying one this summer
    3. Yamaha DX7 - $300 Classic FM synth. Again, barely any sliders and no knobs, but really deep synth and some cool sounds -
    3. Alesis Ion - $450-600 Great sounds for leads, pads, FX. bass too if you don't want to jump for a moog. IMO a cheaper virus that is capable of a lot
    4. Dave Smith Mono Evolver - $500-600 for rack, $1100-1200 for kayboard. Incredibly flexible again, awesome sound quality. Poly racks are around $1200 maybe
    5. DOEPFER DARK ENERGY - I really thing this can get you towards that 'dark' sound, analogue too . ~$600

Some pieces more commonly used for bread and butter:
    1. Like you said, the prophet. Great sound, analogue, could def be good for good ol subtractive synthesis.
    2. Moog slim phatty or little phatty - $700-950 - I think it' be a great addition for bass and cool leads. Can't go wrong here, especially for those good techno basslines
    3. A roland Juno 106 could be good for pads warmer sounds, prices are way inflated though. Should be around $400, but lately they are going for $650-750
    4. NORD LEAD RACKS - $500-650 - login and divercity have the nords, maybe they can comment too, but I really think you'll be able to get some nice dark sounds from it, that's what they're almost known for although they can be warm too

If I were you investing a first piece of kit that can do a broader range of stuff at first, I might look at a virus or nord right now (or doepfer, although not quite as flexible). Knobby and good for flexibility and darker sounds, and then add a good bass kit like a moog SP/LP to round it out on the bottom. If you want to get more trippy and get weird sounds right away, something like a waldorf will give you some good wavetables, and the the DSI evolvers are going to give you some good modulation capability for 'different' stuff

Quote Originally Posted by thehadgi View Post
    Good to see you're going to join the hardware cult Careful, you might start getting GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)

Seems you're looking for some synths that might make more cold/techy type interesting sounds as opposed to the warmer pad type stuff? Could definitely lean more towards virtual analogues, as long as you're ok with spending some time programming. My suggestions and prices I see on ebay:

1. Waldorf Blofeld rack/keyboard - $450. Good for real interesting sounds, going to have to be fine with working more on programming because of lack of knobs, but extreemely flexible. Maybe the pulse/wave could be interesting too for you
    2. Used virus ti polar/keyboard. (Snows go for ~1000, but they have less voices and less processing power) $1200-1400. Extremely flexible too, capable of interesting sounds, but also bread and butter stuff. IMO a great first piece of kit to build off of. Also include onboard effects which is nice. I'm buying one this summer
    3. Yamaha DX7 - $300 Classic FM synth. Again, barely any sliders and no knobs, but really deep synth and some cool sounds -
    3. Alesis Ion - $450-600 Great sounds for leads, pads, FX. bass too if you don't want to jump for a moog. IMO a cheaper virus that is capable of a lot
    4. Dave Smith Mono Evolver - $500-600 for rack, $1100-1200 for kayboard. Incredibly flexible again, awesome sound quality. Poly racks are around $1200 maybe
    5. DOEPFER DARK ENERGY - I really thing this can get you towards that 'dark' sound, analogue too . ~$600

Some pieces more commonly used for bread and butter:
    1. Like you said, the prophet. Great sound, analogue, could def be good for good ol subtractive synthesis.
    2. Moog slim phatty or little phatty - $700-950 - I think it' be a great addition for bass and cool leads. Can't go wrong here, especially for those good techno basslines
    3. A roland Juno 106 could be good for pads warmer sounds, prices are way inflated though. Should be around $400, but lately they are going for $650-750
    4. NORD LEAD RACKS - $500-650 - login and divercity have the nords, maybe they can comment too, but I really think you'll be able to get some nice dark sounds from it, that's what they're almost known for although they can be warm too

If I were you investing a first piece of kit that can do a broader range of stuff at first, I might look at a virus or nord right now (or doepfer, although not quite as flexible). Knobby and good for flexibility and darker sounds, and then add a good bass kit like a moog SP/LP to round it out on the bottom. If you want to get more trippy and get weird sounds right away, something like a waldorf will give you some good wavetables, and the the DSI evolvers are going to give you some good modulation capability for 'different' stuff
    Awesome man,

thanks very much. Let the research begin :-)

As too ''GAS'', i think i might already have it :-). I brought a tempest drum machine recently and the analog sound won me over straight away.

Its so hard trying to find the sounds i imagine in my head, but im sure i'm sure that with this list i will find something im looking for :-)

once again thanks for taking the time, respect due and given

safe

Also IMO you should go with a poly synth if it's going to be your first one , since being able to make pads and play chords is very very usefull.

Waldorf blofeld, Nord Lead, Ultranova are the most versatile outhere, being blofeld and ultranova the ones with more features.

The problem with blofeld and ultranova is that they have few knobs and you have to press buttons and dig menus to use them properly. Ultranova ahs the advantage of having it's own VST as the virus, but being monotimbral may make it a little PITA.

With in your budget I would look for a waldorf microwave XT, great synth with tons of features and a very characteristic sound.

I have "gas" I'm even looking for a reel to reel haha

Anyway how you like the tempest I was playing around with it at my local shop interesting piece

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    "Got Dusty Fingers From Diggin In The Crates"

Member Since 2005 B.C (Mayan Calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by login View Post
    Also IMO you should go with a poly synth if it's going to be your first one , since being able to make pads and play chords is very very usefull.

Waldorf blofeld, Nord Lead, Ultranova are the most versatile outhere, being blofeld and ultranova the ones with more features.

The problem with blofeld and ultranova is that they have few knobs and you have to press buttons and dig menus to use them properly. Ultranova ahs the advantage of having it's own VST as the virus, but being monotimbral may make it a little PITA.

With in your budget I would look for a waldorf microwave XT, great synth with tons of features and a very characteristic sound.
    thanks man i'll check those synths out too :-) Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie65m View Post

Anyway how you like the tempest I was playing around with it at my local shop interesting piece

The tempest is a great sounding machine, but.... its also very annoying. (i must admit that this was my first piece of hardware so the learning curve was/is huge)

When they released it, the machine was not actually finished and still to this day i'm waiting for updates. (for example, i'm still waiting on full midi implementation) a very important feature, i'm sure you'll agree. Also a small problem with latency but nothing major.

but its a very versatile drum machine and a very capable synth, but honestly its not worth the money i paid. I would have been better off buying an Electribe and a synth separately i think.

You should go and check out the DSI forums, to see what other think.

http://prophet5.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie65m View Post
    yeah you've been lookin at one for a bit now, eh? just want one for kicks, or would you use it a lot?

I'll probably end up using it a lot , I think the only thing I have for kicks is the monotron a fun lil toy

"Got Dusty Fingers From Diggin In The Crates"

Member Since 2005 B.C (Mayan Calendar)

if you got that pocket, the Alesis A6 Andromeda is a monster synth.
    Get rid of your fu*king laptop!