Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DJ'S Get In HERE!! Tell me about your style!!

DJ'S Get In HERE!! Tell me about your style!!

I wanted to start this thread to get to know you a little bit better instead of jumping around all the threads and reading about each of you.

Tell me about your gear.. your style.. your years and where you gig and just learn the art of mixing..

I'm looking for members who can talk my language since allot of you are very versed in technical equipment and software knowledge.

I'm investing in a easy to work, beginner controller, and have a few in mind.

My daughter has a hell of a NEW Denon controller set up and does gigs on the side and is awesome..

We joke about her gear compared to mine and of course.. I've change my tune about the new stuff and not saying it's cheating and easy to use..

Any's.. Hope you can share some about yourself and I can meet the right members to help me out..
    “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.”

Welcome to DJF, 2vintage4u.

I have a controller-based setup that can be expanded to include turntables. I use the NI Traktor Kontrol MK3 and Traktor Pro v3. In the past I've used TTs, CDJs, and other controllers. I like the convenience of my setup - so I use this.

As for style, I like transitioning with long blends so I like to mix Deep House and Chillout styles.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Welcome to DJF, 2vintage4u.

I have a controller-based setup that can be expanded to include turntables. I use the NI Traktor Kontrol MK3 and Traktor Pro v3. In the past I've used TTs, CDJs, and other controllers. I like the convenience of my setup - so I use this.

As for style, I like transitioning with long blends so I like to mix Deep House and Chillout styles.
    Thanks for your input KLH.. The Native Instrument Traktor S4 MK3 is one of the controllers I've been looking at.. Native Instruments IMO have been highly rated.. I've tried to bid on some on ebay and get shot down at the final second..

Hard to get one for a fair deal..
    “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.”

Quote Originally Posted by 2vintage4u View Post
    The Native Instrument Traktor S4 MK3 is one of the controllers I've been looking at... I've tried to bid on some on ebay...
    FWIW, I have an S4 MK3 and the original S4. If you're looking to save money, consider any version of the S4 (i.e. original, MK2, MK3). Obviously the newer, the fancier - but they all have the things you need. They differ in terms of remix decks functionality which few use.

One last thing about Traktor Pro. If you go the used route, you'll likely need to purchase Traktor Pro separately. While Traktor Pro should be included with the controller, most DJs keep it when they sell the controller.

Separately, if you decide to go Serato DJ or Pioneer Rekordbox, pick the software first, then find a controller that works with it. With controllers, all the magic is in the software. The controller literally just tells the software what you want to do.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    One last thing about Traktor Pro. If you go the used route, you'll likely need to purchase Traktor Pro separately. While Traktor Pro should be included with the controller, most DJs keep it when they sell the controller.

Separately, if you decide to go Serato DJ or Pioneer Rekordbox, pick the software first, then find a controller that works with it. With controllers, all the magic is in the software. The controller literally just tells the software what you want to do.
    KLH.. True.. I have seen that most do not come with the software.. I'm also interested in this model Denon DJ
    PRIME 4+ Standalone DJ Controller & Mixer with 4 Decks, Wi-Fi Music Streaming, Drop Sampler, 10.1" Touchscreen, Light Control, Internal FX which comes with a touchscreen so everything is compact.

The whole buy a beginner model and upgrade kinda thing, dosn't make much sense to me because once I learn how to use it,it serves the purpose for what I'm using it for.

I'm not interested in gigging out, I'm interested in creating my own music..

Quick resume for the sake of answering the initial question: I used way too much gear and more gear and software over the years to start explaining in detail, it would be boring. In a nutshell I'm now sitting on a full audio/video DAW, and full DJ setup, sound monitoring goes from simple mono up to Dolby Atmos / DTS-X standard. I went through too much music in all genres to define my style in a specific way - I like to try this and that music, then move to something else. Fusion style is the word I guess, I listen to so many different genres that listing it all would be equally boring. It's not what you use, it's how you use it.

This was demonstrated again and again on DjForums. Some time ago, one bragging that his cheapest of the cheap autosync controller would bury any other member in here - got his backside lopped off and served back to him on a silver platter. Another one doing the exact opposite and constantly bragging about buying every and all of the top shelf expensive stuff well, as it turned out he was simply unable to mix hot water and instant coffee. I lost count of people coming and going in that sort of business, some even calling themselves DJs without actually having any prior history of mixing anything..

Just buy stuff within your own means and use that. The best trick is always to read the manual, and figure out what it allows you to do.

I've tried to bid on some on ebay and get shot down at the final second...
    There's a trick I use, just outbid your own bid with a margin to beat the other guy a few seconds before the auction ends (you may have previously noticed the other bidder will only go the next dollar up), that way you're guaranteed to get the item. On payment Ebay will only look at the previous lower bid, as you cannot outbid yourself. If you miss out on a deal, just wait for the next one - I have scored some really cheap stuff on Ebay, and then the best deals I had was when I looked at local adverts, contacted the seller outside of Ebay then settled for cash. Seller is happy to bypass Ebay extortionate fees, not having to package or post, buyer is happy to get item for cheaper than the list price. I recently scored 2 amps, a sub and a dozen speakers that way.
    Last edited by David Bowman; 03-12-2024 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post

There's a trick I use, just outbid your own bid with a margin to beat the other guy a few seconds before the auction ends (you may have previously noticed the other bidder will only go the next dollar up), that way you're guaranteed to get the item. On payment Ebay will only look at the previous lower bid, as you cannot outbid yourself. If you miss out on a deal, just wait for the next one - I have scored some really cheap stuff on Ebay, and then the best deals I had was when I looked at local adverts, contacted the seller outside of Ebay then settled for cash. Seller is happy to bypass Ebay extortionate fees, not having to package or post, buyer is happy to get item for cheaper than the list price. I recently scored 2 amps, a sub and a dozen speakers that way.
    You just solved the problem I had trying to buy a Native Instrument Maschine M3K Drum Controller and had the highest bid at the close and it went to the other guy.. I called ebay and told them about what happened and
    he didn't see

the guy's bid that was higher than mine.. Turns out he put a bid in day's earlier that was higher than his final bid.. So Manu, you solved the mystery.. Maybe next time I'll try your trick..

Liked the way you roasted the Posers on the forum who claimed to be the best.. The old in my mom's basement and live in a fantasy world.. HA!!
    Last edited by 2vintage4u; 03-12-2024 at 02:46 PM.

I am going to try to upload a rock mix and video I put together back in 2010.

I didn't use a sampler and used a CD and 45 record.. to mix these two songs together.. To me, rock is not the easiest thing to mix. House Techno etc.. Are way more easier..

Hope you can hear this.. I cue up everything and then record..

https://youtu.be/Ag5WL1Lrfv4?si=IEkys42zR1hSjQ_A

Quote Originally Posted by 2vintage4u View Post
    You just solved the problem I had trying to buy a Native Instrument Maschine M3K Drum Controller and had the highest bid at the close and it went to the other guy.. I called ebay and told them about what happened and he didn't see the guy's bid that was higher than mine.. Turns out he put a bid in day's earlier that was higher than his final bid.. So Manu, you solved the mystery.. Maybe next time I'll try your trick..

Liked the way you roasted the Posers on the forum who claimed to be the best.. The old in my mom's basement and live in a fantasy world.. HA!!
    I wasn't the only one laughing, when one compares himself to everyone else.

As per Ebay, that's just one trick - some other times I contacted the seller to see if he would accept a ''buy now'' option even if it's not on the listing. Sometimes they will take offers. Another trick is to place a heart marker on a buy now item and let it sit for a few days, often the seller will get back to you with a discount - and that you can even try to submit a counter offer at a cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post

As per Ebay, that's just one trick - some other times I contacted the seller to see if he would accept a ''buy now'' option even if it's not on the listing. Sometimes they will take offers. Another trick is to place a heart marker on a buy now item and let it sit for a few days, often the seller will get back to you with a discount - and that you can even try to submit a counter offer at a cheaper price.

Great Manu.. Thanks for that info.. Have you any of your mixes uploaded on here.. Since your impressive amount of gear and know how, I'd like to hear some of your work.

I did see some DJ battle stuff going on in the threads.. You have anything on here to check out??

This place is kinda dead.. Not many hanging out?????