Thread: DJ Equipment - middle age/starting out

DJ Equipment - middle age/starting out

Apologies for what may have been asked numerous times before, but any help would be much appreciated. I owned Numark decks 20+ years ago but never really took it seriously. I'm now 40 and like the idea of mixing at home. Not looking at parties, producing, or anything serious, just a hobby at home. The desire has come from seeing DJs such as Chris Luno and Marsh, so not scratching or anything heavy or crazy - just some trance/chilled house type music. I've seen the Pioneer DDJ-200 and don't want to spend a fortune if I turn out to be rubbish and don't keep it going. Would these be good? And do many of you do what I've described, as in just mix at home and enjoy the tracks whilst also "trying" to DJ at home when you get a spare hour or two?

Thanks. Sorry for the old man/mid life crisis type post.

No need to apologize, I was 43 when I started my mobile DJ business in 2002 & ran for 17 years, until 2019 and retired. If you enjoy it, go with it.
    I started in live radio in 1982 for 5 years. Moved to the clubs in 1987 until 1993. Nine years later got back in as a mobile jock.

Personally, I never mixed or scratched etc, I would blend my sets, playing the entire song then blend one into the other just like radio. But I played some current Hip Hop along with Country, classic rock, rock & roll oldies etc.

Go with the flow. There's plenty of music genres & styles for everyone's taste. Do what you enjoy & find a market for it if you choose to work in a public setting. If not, play at home & nobody needs to care but you.

Good luck & welcome to the forums.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I came from exactly the same starting point 3 years ago, and my first decks were the ddj 200.

I wouldn't recommend them as they don't have an onboard sound card. The DDj 400 would be a much better bet. You can pick up a used one for about 170gbp in the UK and just resell it if you don't get on with it.

If budget isn't a big concern then the ddj flx 4 is the updated version of the 400 with a couple more bells and whistles on it, but essentially the same set of decks.

And yes, I also mix at home for fun and make a few mixtapes for the car and sometimes like minded friends.
    Last edited by scoob101; 09-25-2023 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks for the two replies - much appreciated. I did actually look at the DDJ-400 and like the look of them, so that info is very helpful, thanks. Good to know I'm not starting too late - I can say I started at 15 and just had a 25 year break!

One more thing to ask. I don’t intend to DJ for a living or at parties, and not scratching or creating music, but more just to mix tracks having seen the likes of Chris Luno do it sat on their bed or out in the garden! Would decks be a bit pointless if this is all someone wants to do? I like the idea of creating a mix, such as an hour long set, but more for myself than for sharing as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Stud_100 View Post
    Would decks be a bit pointless if this is all someone wants to do?
    Not pointless at all. Mix with what you can. If you're performing for yourself - typically in a bedroom - most would call you a Bedroom DJ. It's what most DJs start out as and most become. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Welcome.. Question from a noob as well, but do you own any vinyl and a analog system?? You mentioned you played around years ago and I was wondering if you got rid of your gear and now want to switch to

everything digital.. I've been looking at digital controllers and finding because of the chip shortage still going on, it's either a real beginner set up for around $300 to the more expensive stand alone ones.. There seems to be
    not much to buy in the middle and you can find USED stuff but there is the software issues that for someone getting started, become another challenge..

But good luck in your choices and hope you find what works for you..
    “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.”