Thread: Laptop Specs

Laptop Specs

Hey gang. Can y’all please recommend laptop Specs to support a dj controller? I plan on reconnecting with DJing (been about a decade since I did it and now I miss it). No plans to gig, only for hobby use but I’m not sure what kind of laptop I need to support the gear. I was thinking of buying a used ddj800. Is the only software that it controls Recordbox?
    This is my signature.

Good to see you back my friend......
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Great to see you back, JGeffen!

Laptops are fairly standardized at this point. The major differences between them are the CPU/chipset pairing and high-end features (GPU, USB 4 ports, USB 3.1 gen 2 ports). Since no DJ software uses 3D graphics, a GPU isn't needed. Since audio devices (including controllers) only need USB 2.0, the high-end ports aren't needed.

I have a (now) 5 year old Lenovo laptop with an Intel i5 and it has plenty of headroom when running Traktor. I suggest getting a $500 i5 laptop with 8GB RAM with a 15"-17" screen at 1080p resolution. As long as Windows 10+ is on it, you'll be fine. You'll want a dedicated USB 2 (type A) for the audio interface. If the audio interface is on the controller, then dedicate one port for the controller. You'll likely need another USB 2 port for a keyboard/mouse. You'll want a USB port for a flashdrive (faster is better). Finally, you'll likely want WiFi for transferring files, but make sure it can be turned off when performing.

EDIT:
    When you get the laptop, run the latest Latency Checker to make sure that the system latency is <20ms. If there's a driver culprit introducing a lot of latency, it will tell you so that you can deal with it to get below the 20ms threshold. FWIW, my 5yo DJ laptop has 12ms latency, so you should be able to achieve this easily with a newer system.
    Last edited by KLH; 04-25-2023 at 08:20 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

So I mean, realistically are we just using Traktor still or recordbox. Appreciate the recs!
    This is my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by JGeffen View Post
    So I mean, realistically are we just using Traktor still or recordbox. Appreciate the recs!
    I suppose the DJ app is still either Serato DJ, NI Traktor, Pioneer Rekordbox, or Atomix VDJ.

None of these DJ apps push CPU cores, so getting an Intel i3 or i5 (or the AMD Ryzen 3 or 5) really doesn't matter. That being said, the faster the CPU, the longer you'll be able to use the laptop.
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Since no DJ software uses 3D graphics, a GPU isn't needed.
    well if you are using stems then you will need a good graphics card, because stems are calculated using the GPU
    so, for stem use, id say you want to get something equivalent to a gaming laptop, as good as you can afford basically. because they will be calculated that bit faster.

of course, some people are happy not to use them. but it has become fundamental for me from the get-go, i find it hard to think how I lived without them before, to be honest.

Good to have you back J!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    well if you are using stems then you will need a good graphics card, because stems are calculated using the GPU
    so, for stem use, id say you want to get something equivalent to a gaming laptop, as good as you can afford basically. because they will be calculated that bit faster.

of course, some people are happy not to use them. but it has become fundamental for me from the get-go, i find it hard to think how I lived without them before, to be honest.
    /\/\/\/\
    This.

That being said, I'm currently using an older Thinkpad (T470s 7th gen i5) and even though I can use stems without much issue, it certainly pushes my laptop - the fan is constantly spinning. So yeah, get something higher speced if you can afford it.

You can always use an older version of Serato before the stems update (2.6 was the last if I remember correctly), but I have to admit stems is hella fun to use.

And one more thing....

Both Serato and Recordbox have moved to a subscription model, so make sure whichever controller you choose that it opens up the full pro version.
    Last edited by Mark_Spit; 04-25-2023 at 07:41 PM.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

I mean, at least it’s not $2500 per CDJ + mixer anymore I guess.
    This is my signature.

macbook air m1s go for pretty cheap
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

What did you wind up getting?
    -KLH