Thread: Super interested in getting started from a musician pov

Super interested in getting started from a musician pov

Hello,

I have been a musician my whole life. Played in bands all over east coast. I have recently become super interested in utilizing a dj controller as an instrument in and of itself. From mixed, sampling, beat making, all of it. Looking for advice , tips and info. I already own an 800 watt peavey PA system with two 15 inch speakers and a powered mixer. I have an older MacBook and have used GarageBand and similiar programs my whole life. I’d really like to dive into the world of really djing, making live mixes, beats, recording mixes and all that. I want to master the controller and the whole game treating it like any other instrument but with almost infinite possibilities from bassically a one man band to producing.

I did some research and think the DDJ 400 would be my best controller to begin as it is entry level price, with professional capabilities. The whole world to me is new however though which has me absolutely hyped. I feel like I’m in 6th grade again running home from school to learn how to do this or that with a guitar.

Does anyone have any input if the pre mentioned gear would be my best bet to start? I really just have soooo many questions and am very excited to learn a new art that has potential for $$. I have emceed my whole life, expert with entertaining crowds from huge parties to being a highly effective school teacher reaching every student in the class. I am a very passionate musician. Guitar was my first healthy life coping mechanism and I put it all into it. I want to do the same with my mixes productions beat making scratching and over all performance.

One of my many questions as well is how do djs isolate lyrics to the point of them being almost like the original track was a cappella? I am not really into EDM but became fascinated with hip hop after studying RZA from wu tang and his sampling, taking almost obsolete tracks and drops and beats and making them into something completely new and original. Can anyone recommend any one for me to start listening to like that? A dj that really takes songs mixes them adds what ever and makes them his own?

Just a few questions I have but any advice or suggestions or knowledge would be amazing and more than appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey there Go0gan! Welcome to DJF!

I've been where you are and - with the board's help - I've compiled a guide for starting out check it out.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...