View Poll Results: How long have you been using your primary setup?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just started, so less than a year

0 0%
  • Between a year or two

1 10.00%
  • More than two years and less than five

0 0%
  • Five years or more

8 80.00%
  • I just play around. I don't have a primary setup

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long have you been using your primary setup?

How long have you been using your primary setup?

I just realized that I've been using my primary DJ setup without substantive changes for years. I use Traktor S4 with Traktor Pro. Sure there are accessories that I can run with it, but that's my primary setup.

I wonder how many others have done the same thing - largely keep using the same primary setup for years.

What do you say, DJF?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Do you mean NO gear changes, exact same gear? Or, do you mean.. generic.. like "two turntables and a mixer"???

5 years ago I got a pair of XDJ1000mk2 and I already had a DJM800. Then I got a DJM900nxs2 a couple years later, mainly because I was renting my gear out and needed it. But basically no major change in 5 years and I really have no need to change it.

But I might change it anyway because I have a kid now and the setup is large and has many knobs and is easy to break. Since I'm no longer renting gear out, I might switch to an XDJ-RX. It's basically the same as what I have now, the way I dj wouldn't change at all, just one screen instead of 2.

Before that I went through a ton of setups but they were all "CDJ's and a mixer" just different ones. My "two CDJ's and a mixer" phase lasted about 15 years...
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 10-05-2022 at 01:37 PM.

2x 1210s, 2x CDJ 400s, A&H 62, Macpro/Logic Pro/Pro Tools/Sony Soundforge/Digidesign for 14 years. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you don't take software plugins into account....

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    A&H 62
    I still have one sitting on my shelf, I trot it out once in a while, it's a great sounding mixer.
    The only reason I ever got a DJM is for rentals because too many DJs were babies who couldn't play on anything else. They actually bitched about playing on an Ecler....

That warm sound quality and massive amount of headroom is why I keep it. Plus it never lost value ever since, I could sell it tomorrow and still make a profit.

Traktor S5 with Pro II. I think it's been about 5 years now. I literally wore my S4 out to the point where some controls were getting glitchy or not working at all, so I had to get something.

I wouldn't recommend one for club work though. Numerous common tasks one would do in an open format nightclub require two hands to execute (usually in combination with the shift key) and it just gets too clunky in the heat of the night. To compensate, I have a numpad to my left (where various functions are assigned to hot keys), and I still use a mouse on my right for things like track select and loop in and out.

Yeah... there's no loop in/out buttons on this thing. Or tempo faders. I have that mapped to the plus and minus keys on the numpad. I'm so used to that now that I'll probably always keep it.

Vestax decks since 97.
    Mixer since '02.
    Although I bought a Technics in about '04 and my main mixer I got in 2012.

The sad thing is I lusted after gear and always promised myself nice stuff.
    Now I could run out tomorrow and buy anything, but I just don't have the motivation...and coming from poor - I never enjoy spending money.
    Hence ... use it till it breaks.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Do you mean NO gear changes, exact same gear? Or, do you mean.. generic.. like "two turntables and a mixer"???
    Keeping it simple: Just about the same gear with minimal changes. For example, if you replaced a turntable with the same brand and model. Or replaced a controller with an updated model (like Mk2 ->mk3).

I believe most DJs get to a setup that just works for them. After that, there's no real motivation to change it out for new gear. I'd be willing to bet that even controllers aren't even replaced after a while. After all, what works... works.

Again, I'm not saying that there isn't a backup setup or even an alternative setup. I'm just saying asking how long it's been since your primary setup has changed?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I've had a few laptops

I have 2 primaries depending on what size gig/venue I (was) playing. Then a primary ceremony setup.

1) For larger events I was still using a Peavey setup from 2004. That was the only primary I had at the time. I did have my old setup for backup.

2) For average and smaller gigs/venues, I use a Yamaha setup from about 2015...???

3) For ceremonies in a different location than the reception, I use a portable Yamaha Stagepass I bought in like 2016. This is my primary ceremony setup used along with one of my primary gig setups for the reception.

"Was" cause we retired in July 2019, but I still own all my equipment. I still have 4 complete setups along with a couple extra mixers etc.
    All of my lights are early to mid 2000's.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php