Thread: Influence

Question Influence

Greetings all,

Do you ever use (part of) your sets to support/promote/represent local artists/producers/labels? If so, do you blend their track(s) into the rest of your set(s) or do you showcase/highlight them to your audience? Does it depend on the type of event in which you're performing? Are you able to measure/feel the effects of your influence on the chosen subject's notoriety? Is it a symbiotic relationship, do you do it for love or do you get paid? (Don't worry, I don't work for Inland Revenue)

I have featured and worked with some people on tracks for both my sets, and some mixes. Lately I am glad to have scored an exclusive remix from a band I have worshipped for 20 years.

do you do it for love or do you get paid
    I love the music but my fees are here so I can pay the bills and hopefully get a return on investment, equipment does not grow on trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Do you ever use (part of) your sets to support/promote/represent local artists/producers/labels?
    I haven't to date. It's not because I'm not open to it; it's that my mobile DJ gigs are largely commercial and so I've not thought about doing this. I wouldn't mind slipping in a track or two for local or up-and-coming artists. It's a great idea. After all, isn't the role of a DJ to introduce or break new music?

If so, do you blend their track(s) into the rest of your set(s) or do you showcase/highlight them to your audience?
    If a local or up-and-coming artist, I'd just blend it in. I'd only talk up a track if there's specific interest in that artist... to generate excitement. Most crowds that I play are more interested in familiarity than anything else.

Does it depend on the type of event in which you're performing?
    Certainly does. As a mobile DJ, most gigs are celebrations and the crowd just wants to dance and sing familiar music. There's always space for something unexpected, IMHO. After all, the crowd needs another drink from time to time, right?

Are you able to measure/feel the effects of your influence on the chosen subject's notoriety?
    I'm not following you on this question. Most local or up-and-coming artists are known only by a small group of people. As such, it doesn't make sense for me to cater to just those people. Now if the crowd is made up of fans, that's a different story.

Is it a symbiotic relationship, do you do it for love or do you get paid?
    Love. I love music and love to share it with crowds. The crowdgasm is something I strive to do as often as possible.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...