Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
Do you ever use (part of) your sets to support/promote/represent local artists/producers/labels?
I haven't to date. It's not because I'm not open to it; it's that my mobile DJ gigs are largely commercial and so I've not thought about doing this. I wouldn't mind slipping in a track or two for local or up-and-coming artists. It's a great idea. After all, isn't the role of a DJ to introduce or break new music?

If so, do you blend their track(s) into the rest of your set(s) or do you showcase/highlight them to your audience?
If a local or up-and-coming artist, I'd just blend it in. I'd only talk up a track if there's specific interest in that artist... to generate excitement. Most crowds that I play are more interested in familiarity than anything else.

Does it depend on the type of event in which you're performing?
Certainly does. As a mobile DJ, most gigs are celebrations and the crowd just wants to dance and sing familiar music. There's always space for something unexpected, IMHO. After all, the crowd needs another drink from time to time, right?

Are you able to measure/feel the effects of your influence on the chosen subject's notoriety?
I'm not following you on this question. Most local or up-and-coming artists are known only by a small group of people. As such, it doesn't make sense for me to cater to just those people. Now if the crowd is made up of fans, that's a different story.

Is it a symbiotic relationship, do you do it for love or do you get paid?
Love. I love music and love to share it with crowds. The crowdgasm is something I strive to do as often as possible.