Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for DJ's on how you store/preserve your digital music files

I have a modest 300GB library on SSD in a laptop. I back it up at least 2x a year onto an external HD. For offsite backup, I use Google Music. Works for me as I always have access to my music - and it's backed up.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

i normally would back up about 4 times a year, though this week i backed up my system for the first time in one full year.

crazy thing is, the only time i had a computer die on me, 20 minutes before a gig! i had literally backed up my music collection earlier that same day and had the spare computer with me. what are the chances.......

I used to have 5 external hard drives with all my separate types of work on them. They started to die and I now have just one with all my old drives into folders instead. I use a backup program to backup my files to a cloud every sunday night.

I have all my music files in 2 places:

1)My iTunes/mixable files into folders -I also organize my iTunes library to consolidate files.

2)All my music into genre/artist folders for when I want to pop some music into winamp.

Quote Originally Posted by gmedia View Post
    We have thought this through extensively, and I believe a great option is Microsoft's OneDrive. You get 1TB per account included, and depending on what account you choose, a "family" account is up to 5 users (5 x 1TB). The family account, which includes the office suite AND OneDrive, is like $99/year.
    This is good. But you should have your data backed up in at least 3 places or it's not actually safe. Here's what I'd do.

1. Store everything on you computers hard drive
    2. Store all of it again on an external hard drive
    3. Store it once more on a back-up external hard drive
    4. Store it again on OneDrive.

This way, you'll have everything stored locally 3 times and off site once. So is you happen to pick up a virus that infects your computer and somehow both external drives, you'll always have the cloud to fall back on.

I use a combination of mechanical drives as backup, and also dump any songs I have into Google Play Music, which syncs automatically with my music folders.
    50000 songs storage for free on google's datacentres is a good deal in my book.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I have mine stored on 2:

1. Main computer hard drive as performance is better when running Rekordbox through pro DJ link to my CDJ 900 Nexus's
    2. External hard drive for backup

Having recently got a new computer, when switching the files and rekordbox database, I lost a lot of the so having to go through the arduous task of beat gridding quite a few of my MP3/WAV files again and locking down

I do also want to save it on a cloud base storage system at some point like onecloud