Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids holding up "Ls" at High School Dances?

Quote Originally Posted by Baller95 View Post
    They're telling you to take the L (take the loss)... It's because they're trying to say your music sucks and perhaps you're not a good DJ. Obviously you can be a great DJ but if your music doesn't appeal to the crowd, to them you suck. What Dixie suggest you do is a good idea but if you dont play what's new (a few months old) and "hot", they won't like you. It's really disrespectful of the kids to do that but kids will be kids. These days they're all snowflakes so if they don't have something their way, they'll throw a fit.
    Ok I'll try to not take 'that' offensively, as my 5-star service rating in my booking site and the feedback I've gotten from just about every gig I've done attests to otherwise (Not to mention I have video of the packed dance floor of the event I'm talking about). But like I said, one of the kids explained it wasn't that at all - it was that they didn't want that song specifically. The verbal call-outs of "Next Song!" by the students also made me think the same.

I had them bouncing all night because I had the ASB poll the students as to what songs they wanted - so the playlist was just about 100% came up with by them - I just chose how and when I mixed each song through the night. The problem was I was also asked to take requests - so I played a requested song that broke away from their playlist of 95% ratchet Hip-Hop and then that happened. So I don't think your analysis is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Elevate View Post
    I had them bouncing all night because I had the ASB poll the students as to what songs they wanted - so the playlist was just about 100% came up with by them
    Satisfying the Many

so I played a requested song that broke away from their playlist of 95% ratchet Hip-Hop and then that happened.
    Satisfying the One

Get them to have a chant off. "Those who want some more hiphop, let me hear ya!" if they don't go yeah.... "Alright no more Hip Hop then". If they do go yeah!!! Follow it asking about the other style to see if the others go YEAH, louder, if they don't "OK, HIP HOP IT IS!"

Personally I hate that kind of malarkey but for the kids its ideal. For yourself, even if you fail, you win.

Even do a "right what songs do the girls want???" "What songs do the boys want???"

When I did student nights (love hate thing) it was always about getting the different sports teams, associations and clubs to make more noise than the other.

The only under 18's night I ever Dj'd at I was lucky the crowd were very respectful. They called me in last minute, twisting my arm after many no's, the booked Dj never showed. When i got there the kids were all inside looking lost. I hardly used the mic, once to introduce myself with a "right a word of warning, I don't do under 18's so non of my track are the clean versions" They loved it, was an instant ice breaker, big YEAH! And later on telling them i went to their school too.

Kids were dancing about like loons all night but I was disappointed to the reaction i got to JUMP AROUND. I expected them to go completely crazy, fitting to how they were being, yet it was one of the luls of the set... More of a parent, teacher moment. It was a huge reminder of different generation.

We did run an under 18's rave for many years but the overs was well respected (in a nasty way), no one would of dared L's in there.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 11-13-2017 at 04:56 AM.

Ok I'll try to not take 'that' offensively,
    I'm not sure why you need to try not to. There's no offence in his post, especially apparent by how Baller has chose his words. "obviously you can be a great DJ" i thought it was a great explanation.
    so I played a requested song that broke away from their playlist of 95% ratchet Hip-Hop and then that happened.
    So you got bothered over the odd kid over 1 song? Your OP suggested worse.

Ok I'll try to not take 'that' offensively, as my 5-star service rating in my booking site and the feedback I've gotten from just about every gig I've done attests to otherwise (Not to mention I have video of the packed dance floor of the event I'm talking about). But like I said, one of the kids explained it wasn't that at all - it was that they didn't want that song specifically. The verbal call-outs of "Next Song!" by the students also made me think the same.

I had them bouncing all night because I had the ASB poll the students as to what songs they wanted - so the playlist was just about 100% came up with by them - I just chose how and when I mixed each song through the night. The problem was I was also asked to take requests - so I played a requested song that broke away from their playlist of 95% ratchet Hip-Hop and then that happened. So I don't think your analysis is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    I'm not sure why you need to try not to. There's no offence in his post, especially apparent by how Baller has chose his words. "obviously you can be a great DJ" i thought it was a great explanation.
    Oh I didn't mean for that to be offensive at all! For all I know you could be the best DJ in the world but if you play stuff the crowd doesn't like, to them you won't be good which is why they did what they did. Again, I'm not siding with the kids either because it's rude of them to do that but you gotta read the crowd and see what they're liking.

Like Hanginon said, you can't expect the kids to be happy if most of them are into the crappy new Hip-Hop but then you start playing Cotton Eyed Joe because poor lonely Billy in the corner wasn't liking what was playing and requested it.

Ok - sorry - let's take a few steps back. Apologies for jumping the gun.

Yes - it did happen like twice that night but the fact it happened at all really bothers me and I've never run into it at any other gigs I've done. What you guys are saying makes sense, I think I'm just doing a crappy job explaining what I'm asking for guidance on. I was just extremely frustrated because of the fact that I explained from the start that taking requests is a bad idea but they insisted I do it, and then when I did it - it turned into a major negative. I mean it seemed so petty to me. I had been playing mostly ratchet hip-hop for a good 2-3 hours before I played this track - which in my opinion is a great track (and it's Hip-Hop/R&B), and they can't even just deal with this one track? Another part about it that pissed me off was that people were still dancing, but when they looked at the center of the floor to the kids just standing there holding up L's, they stopped as well.

Another aspect of it was that the ASB and I agreed beforehand that if I was going to take requests, that there would be designated request-takers who would filter and then come to me and write down what they approved on a request list. Of course there was none of that - every 10 seconds there was someone coming up to the booth to ask for something, or tell me what I should play, etc.

I guess it all boils down to having done a crappy job on my part to control the evening?

In regards to keeping the many happy and not the one... for a school dance.. I dunno man. I just feel bad for the kids that actually want something different. It's literally Hip-Hop and some VERY little (what the Hip-Hop kids can tolerate before throwing up Ls) sprinkling of Latin - every. single. dance. It's like spinning at a hookah lounge - actually - at least the couple in my area I've played at. Except the folks at the hookah lounge are more respectful for some reason. xD
    Last edited by DJ Elevate; 11-13-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Fair enough! Now that I think about it, what if they were just taking their time to appreciate you by putting up the L for L-evate

Quote Originally Posted by Baller95 View Post
    Fair enough! Now that I think about it, what if they were just taking their time to appreciate you by putting up the L for L-evate
    Hahahaha - thanks Baller95 I appreciate that, but the look on their faces didn't express that. xD xD

I don't think I could deal with schools telling me what to play and provide lists. I have the freedom to play whatever and whenever I want at any of my 32 schools I do. Some schools are more hip hop heavy and some more pop friendly. Yes you can't please em all but the majority of the dancers are girls so I generally only play to them. Works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitelife View Post
    ... the majority of the dancers are girls so I generally only play to them. Works well for me.
    Works well for DJs who know how to have a successful school dance!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...