Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does it take to mix Drum and Bass

Hybrid View

What does it take to mix Drum and Bass

Thread title says it all really.

I come from a background of Trance / house music. So I am familiar with phases, keys etc etc.

But whats important to know when mixing DnB..

Is it normal to mix two different types of DnB together? Such as liquid and jump up.

Is mixing harmonically important?

Should I read anything into the fact that tracks range from over a range of BPM's?

Aside from keeping the tracks in time with each other is there anything else I need to worry about?

Is the mixing of breakdowns very common? Or do people tend to mix when there is a beat?

cant think of anything else right now, but I will ask if I do....

BTW, the dummies thread was very useful.

Dave x

I have mixed some dnb before, it seems that a lot of drum and bass has huge intros and outros which is annoying. I tend to skip right to the music and avoid the intro/outro mixing.
    2 x Technics 1200 M3D, Allen & Heath Xone:22, Akai LPD8, Audio 10, TSP2, Kontrol S4, Maschine, Macbook Pro MD314LL
    My Soundcoud | Battle Record:1 Win 1 Loss

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
    I have mixed some dnb before, it seems that a lot of drum and bass has huge intros and outros which is annoying. I tend to skip right to the music and avoid the intro/outro mixing.

WAT

Seriously, unless you have a problem mixing, the "huge intros and outros" isn't a big deal. Just as long as it sounds right, you can mix different sub genres of dnb. I along w/ other djs, do it all the time.

The current DnB tempo range is 174-178ish. I mean there are a few artists that make it slightly faster, but thats rare.

Honestly, I learned how to mix drum n bass by listening to tons and tons of mixes. I highly recommend doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackest View Post

WAT

Seriously, unless you have a problem mixing, the "huge intros and outros" isn't a big deal. Just as long as it sounds right, you can mix different sub genres of dnb. I along w/ other djs, do it all the time.

The current DnB tempo range is 174-178ish. I mean there are a few artists that make it slightly faster, but thats rare.

Honestly, I learned how to mix drum n bass by listening to tons and tons of mixes. I highly recommend doing that.
    Mixing in key isnt important then?

ditto that! listen to andy c mixes, that guy can be nuts. but listening to various djs is great for getting ideas of how to put tracks together.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post

I know of hardly any dnb that behaves this way. Unless you mean atmospheric stuff, but this is a tiny percentage of the dnb genre.

Yah, I think thats what he meant, the atmospheric stuff. I came across some of this myself when first digging through liquid stuff and found it annoying as well. Wouldn't say I came across one often, but more than enough to notice.

With just about every genre of EDM, it is important to mix in key. Some people do it and some don't. Personally, I don't use any type of mixing in key program or diagram or anything like that.

Just learn your tunes and figure out different combinations for each of em.

Quote Originally Posted by Adzy View Post
    ditto that! listen to andy c mixes, that guy can be nuts. but listening to various djs is great for getting ideas of how to put tracks together.
    My advice would be please don't listen to andy c mixes intensely. Too many DJ's in the scene try and copy him and it's so boring! Felt I should point this out to you before it's too late.

Iknow of hardly any dnb that behaves this way. Unless you mean atmospheric stuff, but this is a tiny percentage of the dnb genre.

With just about every genre of EDM, it is important to mix in key. Some people do it and some don't. Personally, I don't use any type of mixing in key program or diagram or anything like that.

Just learn your tunes and figure out different combinations for each of em.

I have never used a key program or BPM counter in my djing "career". It's just another distraction. Like above says just feel the music and remember how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Porter View Post
    BTW, the dummies thread was very useful.

Dave x
    Glad you found it useful

Surprised everyone has failed to mention that dnb has 16 bars to a phrase, instead of 8. Shame on you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Surprised everyone has failed to mention that dnb has 16 bars to a phrase, instead of 8. Shame on you all!
    House does as well. You CAN mix in after eight measures, but it is going to sound tons better (because it will be phrased properly) if you wait for the actual "turnaround", which generally happens at 16 measures. The eight measures to a phrase thing is a common misconception when it comes to mixing. Carry on.
    Everybody is going to have an opinion.
    Just do your thing to the best of your ability and have fun with it.

[SIGPIC]http://www.ustream.tv/channel/faderwave-radio[/SIGPIC]

How to mix DnB:

Play Airhorn sample
    Backspin
    Yell "Lighters up!" (You can alternately yell "Big ups to x crew!")
    Drop next track in

Seriously though, I tend to follow the snares more when mixing DnB. Mixing the breakdowns together works great. Try to get the breakdowns synced up so the drops come in at the same time(called a double drop). Sounds great, lots of energy. Just make sure its EQ'd and leveled properly or it'll distort to hell and back. The big intros are good when you want to let the incoming song play in the background of the current track.