Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ableton 9 Thread

Ableton 9 Thread

Ableton 9 should be coming out in the forseeable future, which has me and most likely other Abletonians excited. Right now I don't think anything is confirmed or even referenced by the Ableton team, but this is what I pulled from www.everythingableton.com

What’s Coming in Ableton Live 9

It’s been a loooong time since Ableton Live 8 was released – 2 years, 4 months and 9 days to be exact. There was a lot of speculation that Live 9 would be released at this year’s NAMM show, featuring 64 bit support and a range of other new features. Still, there’s been no whisper from Ableton as of yet. So: when is Live 9 really coming, and what can you expect from Live 9?

Bear in mind that the following is purely speculation – although, as a software developer myself, I’m prepared to say that it’s fairly confident speculation.

What We Know
    Before Live 8, Ableton was reasonably efficient at up****** Live, almost on a yearly basis. Now it’s getting closer to 3 years without an announcement from Ableton.
    Ableton 8.2 was released however, and while it was a great update, it probably wasn’t the update a lot of people were hoping for. Aside from this, Ableton is only up****** Live on a regular basis for bug fixes and small feature additions.
    Ableton Live is missing some great features that it would really benefit from – 64 bit support is the main contender here.
    Ableton’s software team isn’t getting any smaller. While updates and bug fixes do take a massive amount of development time, a couple of updates over 3 years doesn’t match up. Unless the developers are all busy shooting bubbles, that is.
    Ableton said that they’re working on Ableton Live 9.

What Does this Indicate?
    Looking at the facts above, I’d say they conform pretty well to the idea that Ableton Live 9 is not just an update – rather, it’s being completely rewritten. Re-writes most definitely take longer than an upgrade does to develop – hence the long wait until Live 9, and continued support/updates for Live 8.

Why would Ableton re-write Live? For a start, additional features may require re-writing large portions of Live anyway. Live 8 also has a bad reputation for crashing at times – something that only a major software restructure may fix. Finally, a re-write would give Ableton the chance to re-imagine what Live could be: how it works, what platforms it’s made for, a complete interface overhaul etc. This isn’t too dissimilar to what’s been done by Apple with the new Final Cut Pro X – a complete retake on how video editing software should work.

Ableton wouldn’t be the only company of late to re-write software from scratch. As mentioned before, Apple just released Final Cut Pro X – a re-write of Final Cut Pro. They’re also rumored to be working on a re-write of Logic Pro and iWork. Looking at Final Cut Pro X, we can speculate on what may be in Ableton Live 9. Unfortunately, complete re-writes don’t always mean perfect software, especially at first. Take Final Cut Pro X for example:

What can we Expect?
    A complete re-write of Live, or at least a re-write of many major components.
    Any major, currently lacking features such as 64 bit support will be included.
    Live wouldn’t be re-written without the future in mind. Whether that means cloud storage/sharing support, a touch interface, Windows 8 or iOS support, we don’t know.
    Final Cut Pro X was not received very well by many critics, mainly due to bugs, speed and lack of support for old features. This may be the case with Ableton Live 9 – hopefully not – however, a complete re-write is not likely to be perfect straight of the bag.
    So: a complete re-write of Live, with at least some big changes is on the table. How drastic these changes are is yet to be seen. Personally, I’m hoping for a complete redesign of how audio software should work – even if this makes for a buggy and feature lacking initial release, as per Final Cut Pro X.
    Discuss. And add anything you'd like to see. Let's keep this thread around and post any updates that come out in here so we can stay tuned

#1 for me - 64 bit support. Long overdue
    #2 - dual screen support. darn those sonar users with their xray-supervision (mystic always braggin and goin on )

i'd like the idea as long as i can just upgrade from 7. i never bought 8. a complete revamping would be nice altough it might slow sales, cause i know for one i wouldn't rush in to buy it. i'd probably wait until late in the year first year of the new revamp (wait the bugs out).

something else they should do is maybe make a screen that allows ableton to at least be viewed more like dj software. if they allowed you to control it like dj software, game over, they don't need to do a dvs either.

I want:

Optimized cpu use

64 bit support

A better and easy way to automate in clips

Dual monitor support could be nice but I would like more some options to customize the interface.

An overhaul of native instruments so I finally jump in to suite and stop lusting for soft synths.

Finally I will love that eq8 showed the actual spectrum of the sound signal, and that some other fx got a better interface (I dream in something like fab filter plugs).

Quote Originally Posted by login View Post
    I want:

Optimized cpu use

64 bit support

Dual monitor support could be nice but I would like more some options to customize the interface.

An overhaul of native instruments so I finally jump in to suite and stop lusting for soft synths.

Finally I will love that eq8 showed the actual spectrum of the sound signal, and that some other fx got a better interface (I dream in something like fab filter plugs).
    +1

also record clip automation in session, like everyone and their mom has always asked for

not having to worry about automation being synced or not, ableton has an issue with delay compensation and their plugs and automation going all out of sync

I think for alot of these ableton has already stated in the past that it requires a complete rewrite, and since most of these are things people have always complained about, I would hope they have been doing a complete rewrite for 9 in order to address them

Anyone of you guys checked out BitWig yet? http://www.bitwig.com/

The items you've laid out here in this thread sounds pretty much like the feature list that they are speccing up. Plus the fact that the program to start off with looks pretty much as Ableton with a few colors sparkled on top.

I do also hear there's quite a few rumors going on about BitWig actually being Ableton 9, which indeed would make sense, as the feature list contains only a few basic features, and the rest of the features are advantages compared to Ableton. This would also make sense if it was its own product, as Ableton seems to be the most direct competitor, so it could indicate either way.

What is known about the BitWig team is that they do consist of quite a few old Ableton employees. I also haven't heard about any lawsuits being started yet by Ableton, which could either mean they're friendly enough not to, or that they are just waiting till the product is released before waking up their lawyers (or the third option, they're handling this discretely).

Anyhow... If the points you guys line up are of importance to you, the least you could do is sign up for the BitWig beta, and see if the software is any good. I'm (a bit impatiently) waiting in line to get to try things out.

64-bit 64-bit 64-bit 64-bit 64-bit 64-bit 64-bit 64-bit 64-bit 64-bit

Been waiting for 64bit my entire life. I want 64bit rewire and all my ramzees!!

and yes magebarf bitwig is awesome. I didn't get accepted for the beta

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by login View Post
    I want:

Optimized cpu use

64 bit support

- Everything I approve except the eq8(which I dislike).. Why not just use fabfilter? or rather use the filter?
    Last edited by Divercity; 04-09-2012 at 06:55 AM.

I want real time search in the browser... like Virtual DJ does. Also the ability to sort my browser by BPM, title, genre, etc.

Definitely dual screen... that way I can have my VST graphics on one screen without blocking over the DAW.

And how about an effect that turns whatever you're working on into dubstep? haha

Divercity, I don't think you need to worry. As far as I've understood, they haven't really started the public beta yet.

There's word that there's a bit of alpha testing of BitWig going on already, but their last update stated that they were pushing the beta a bit later time wise, as they felt that they wanted a bit of the "future features" available already in the initial version.

Quote Originally Posted by Sween View Post

Definitely dual screen... that way I can have my VST graphics on one screen without blocking over the DAW.
    Never tried ableton on a dual screen setup but I always figured you could already do this. You cant drag your vst windows to a second monitor? I figured you already could since they were free floating and could be moved around already

Yeah you can move vsts around and such, but there's no integrated dual screen support.

Also, it's been said but I'd be a big fan of automation curves