Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DJ City - Is it worth it?

DJ City - Is it worth it?

So I've been debating on getting a subscription to DJ City for about a week now. I've read NickJames's review of said DJ Pool and I've browsed the site a bit looking for popular tracks I hear in my favorite DJ sets. I have found many remixes that are not available on Beatport (my main source for music now and a huge money sink) and found that to be huge. The remixes offered are awesome and definitely a breath of fresh air from the original mix and gives me many an idea for mixing.

However after reading Nick's review, he mentions that EDM selections are far and few between and often times there aren't many. I'm wondering if anyone can attest to this. I'm looking to mainly mix EDM/Trance with artists like Armin van Buuren, Hardwell, Kaskade, Martin Garrix, Tiesto, etc. So far they have a good selection for those top artists but I'm wondering if I ever want to branch out and look for a lesser known producer, will DJ City be able to provide?

Long winded post and hopefully I got my point across. If anyone has any questions on what I'm actually asking I'll clarify.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go ZipDJ. Try it for 90 days for $30. Just start that way and stop thinking about it so much.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Go ZipDJ. Try it for 90 days for $30. Just start that way and stop thinking about it so much.
    But that what I do! Overthink everything! Didn't know ZipDJ was $30 for 90 days. Do the subscriptions auto renew?

Also, you do mean ZipDJ right? And not DJ City?

I also don't see ZipDJ for $30 for 90 days. Where do I get that price?

Last edited by nconkl1; 09-10-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Take a look at BPM Supreme, I like it better than Zip DJ

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Boom Bap View Post
    Take a look at BPM Supreme, I like it better than Zip DJ
    That doesn't seem like a bad idea. It's definitely cheaper than both. How is their selection of music? Particularly for the House/Trance genres. Do they have a good pick of remixes and bootlegs?

Also says they're analyzed with a key. Are they tagged with the Camelot Keys or normal musical key like F# or Fmin or something.

And what cue points are pre programmed? I'm assuming just the first beat.

Last edited by nconkl1; 09-11-2014 at 08:55 AM.

The cool thing about DJCity is that it's a transparent site. You can see what's there without subscribing. I don't know what you're specifically looking for, but just a ****** search for Armin turned up about 20 tracks--- Tiesto around 80.

The uncool thing about ZipDJ is that it's opaque.

I would caution against reading too much into pool reviews because they are so fluid. DJCity for example has upped it's Latin content quite a bit this year. Unless the reviewer is up****** his reviews every few months they may not be all that accurate.

That said, if there's a way to join ZipDJ for just $10 a month for the first three months I'm in. More details please KLH.

I've been asked by DJ Tech Tools to update my reviews, I just honestly haven't gotten around to it yet. On the whole the overall pictures haven't changed but some minor annoyances have been fixed, some areas of different pools have seen an increase in selection while others a decrease and so on.

DJ City is fine for mainstream Top40/edm and remixed Top 40 club DJs; It's well priced, they have a huge section of the market, and pretty much anything a club DJ would need would be there... In that department my complaints are really cosmetic: shitty previews and annoying ID3 tags the only actual content complaint is they sometimes only release the clean version and I am adult playing for adults... the song is Fuck You and not Forget You but every pool does that sometimes. Overall, playing typical top 40, edm, or remixes in a club or at parties? You'll be fine with DJ City.

The other pool mentioned above, BPM Supreme, is in my mind better than DJ City in that market... the music is similar but I like their site better, their ID3 tags are done properly, and their previews don't suck but I disagree that they're better than ZipDJ... unless you consider the fact they offer video. If you need music videos hands down BPM Supreme is an overall heavyweight.

Now, I'll tell you why ZipDJ is and has always been my favourite pool; First, some background, I was a club DJ for years and am now a lounge DJ and on the side I play raves and festivals.

* If I need the latest Top 40? ZipDJ has me covered. A quick search for Charli XCX - Boom Clap which is currently at the top of the billboard chart shows it has been available on ZipDJ since 16/06/2014 and that the Radio, instrumental, two DJ Intro/Outro mixes, and 14 other remixes ranging from Electro to House to Dubstep are available.

* If I need the latest mainstream EDM? Covered. A quick search for Afrojack & Martin Garrix - Turn Up The Speakers the current #1 on the Beatport Electro House charts shows the original mix and one other remix have been available on ZipDJ since 23/08/2014 two days before Spinnin Records submitted it to Beatport.

* If I need the latest commercial Deep House? Covered. Kygo remixes, Sonny Fodera, and all of that other stuff you find on YouTube channels like ****** Jam... accounted for.

* If I need the latest hip-hop or rap track? Covered. Their urban charts looks like any other urban charts Nicki Minaj, Eminem, Trey Songz, De Royale, TI, Iggy, Wiz Khalifa... it's all there.

Where ZipDJ really sets itself apart though is that they have a massive catalogue of obscure Deep House, Electronica, Chill Out, and other mellow jams; They have a huge selection of House, Techno, and Tech House; They even have Drum and Bass, Minimal Techno, and even Hard Dance.

I got >85% of my club music from ZipDJ, now I get >80% of my lounge music from ZipDJ, and I get ~75% of my festival and after hours/rave music from ZipDJ... There is no other pool on the market that has mainstream and underground DJs covered so well; Almost all other pools focus entirely on the mainstream. There are virtually no other pools where you can get stuff like Luca Bisori, Tanja La Croix, Phunk Investigation, Stefano Noferini, Tradelove, UMEK, Boehm, Tube & Berger, and so on and so forth... and those are well known artists, I also have shit tons of stuff that you can't even find on YouTube or Soundcloud if you wanted to share it because it's so obscure and for my lounge and after hours stuff that's exactly what I want.

Now, don't get me wrong... There are lots of amazing pools out there; Absolutely no one beats LNRP when it comes to Urban/West Coast music, DMS has an insane back catalogue, BPM Supreme has an amazing club library AND video for a super low price, and I could go on and on but when it comes to a one stop shop for almost any type of DJ? No one beats ZipDJ. I don't work for them or anything either, a friend referred me years ago and I signed up... I sing their praises because they deserve it.

ZipDJ is not without faults though: I hate the way their search works... and I seriously mean hate. It is the worst search ever to grace the internet and it needs to friggen go.

Look for updated DJTT reviews sometime in the next month or so and I have 3-4 new pools that were not covered in the original reviews that will be added.

Sorry for being long winded, I am passionate about record pools and digital music distribution in general.
    Last edited by NickJames; 09-11-2014 at 04:48 PM.
    www.nickjames.ca
    → Reddit: omers on /r/DJs and /r/Beatmatch

Thanks for the updates Nick! That really helps!

Quote Originally Posted by nconkl1 View Post
    That doesn't seem like a bad idea. It's definitely cheaper than both. How is their selection of music? Particularly for the House/Trance genres. Do they have a good pick of remixes and bootlegs?

Also says they're analyzed with a key. Are they tagged with the Camelot Keys or normal musical key like F# or Fmin or something.

And what cue points are pre programmed? I'm assuming just the first beat.
    For BPMSupreme:
    Not much trance.
    What kind of House?
    They're not keyed.
    No cue points.

Quote Originally Posted by NickJames View Post
    I've been asked by DJ Tech Tools to update my reviews, I just honestly haven't gotten around to it yet. On the whole the overall pictures haven't changed but some minor annoyances have been fixed, some areas of different pools have seen an increase in selection while others a decrease and so on.

DJ City is fine for mainstream Top40/edm and remixed Top 40 club DJs; It's well priced, they have a huge section of the market, and pretty much anything a club DJ would need would be there... In that department my complaints are really cosmetic: shitty previews and annoying ID3 tags the only actual content complaint is they sometimes only release the clean version and I am adult playing for adults... the song is Fuck You and not Forget You but every pool does that sometimes. Overall, playing typical top 40, edm, or remixes in a club or at parties? You'll be fine with DJ City.

The other pool mentioned above, BPM Supreme, is in my mind better than DJ City in that market... the music is similar but I like their site better, their ID3 tags are done properly, and their previews don't suck but I disagree that they're better than ZipDJ... unless you consider the fact they offer video. If you need music videos hands down BPM Supreme is an overall heavyweight.

Now, I'll tell you why ZipDJ is and has always been my favourite pool; First, some background, I was a club DJ for years and am now a lounge DJ and on the side I play raves and festivals.

* If I need the latest Top 40? ZipDJ has me covered. A quick search for Charli XCX - Boom Clap which is currently at the top of the billboard chart shows it has been available on ZipDJ since 16/06/2014 and that the Radio, instrumental, two DJ Intro/Outro mixes, and 14 other remixes ranging from Electro to House to Dubstep are available.

* If I need the latest mainstream EDM? Covered. A quick search for Afrojack & Martin Garrix - Turn Up The Speakers the current #1 on the Beatport Electro House charts shows the original mix and one other remix have been available on ZipDJ since 23/08/2014 two days before Spinnin Records submitted it to Beatport.

* If I need the latest commercial Deep House? Covered. Kygo remixes, Sonny Fodera, and all of that other stuff you find on YouTube channels like ****** Jam... accounted for.

* If I need the latest hip-hop or rap track? Covered. Their urban charts looks like any other urban charts Nicki Minaj, Eminem, Trey Songz, De Royale, TI, Iggy, Wiz Khalifa... it's all there.

Where ZipDJ really sets itself apart though is that they have a massive catalogue of obscure Deep House, Electronica, Chill Out, and other mellow jams; They have a huge selection of House, Techno, and Tech House; They even have Drum and Bass, Minimal Techno, and even Hard Dance.

I got >85% of my club music from ZipDJ, now I get >80% of my lounge music from ZipDJ, and I get ~75% of my festival and after hours/rave music from ZipDJ... There is no other pool on the market that has mainstream and underground DJs covered so well; Almost all other pools focus entirely on the mainstream. There are virtually no other pools where you can get stuff like Luca Bisori, Tanja La Croix, Phunk Investigation, Stefano Noferini, Tradelove, UMEK, Boehm, Tube & Berger, and so on and so forth... and those are well known artists, I also have shit tons of stuff that you can't even find on YouTube or Soundcloud if you wanted to share it because it's so obscure and for my lounge and after hours stuff that's exactly what I want.

Now, don't get me wrong... There are lots of amazing pools out there; Absolutely no one beats LNRP when it comes to Urban/West Coast music, DMS has an insane back catalogue, BPM Supreme has an amazing club library AND video for a super low price, and I could go on and on but when it comes to a one stop shop for almost any type of DJ? No one beats ZipDJ. I don't work for them or anything either, a friend referred me years ago and I signed up... I sing their praises because they deserve it.

ZipDJ is not without faults though: I hate the way their search works... and I seriously mean hate. It is the worst search ever to grace the internet and it needs to friggen go.

Look for updated DJTT reviews sometime in the next month or so and I have 3-4 new pools that were not covered in the original reviews that will be added.

Sorry for being long winded, I am passionate about record pools and digital music distribution in general.
    Fair enough, I think BPM Supreme is better for me ( an open format, Rap, Top 40, Rock, Country style dj). Zip DJ has everything I needed, but costs more, and they offer (almost) every country song with an Intro edit, Zip DJ offers some country with intro edits.

Side note, I just emailed BPM with a complaint a few days ago and the responded way faster than Zip Dj, and "took care of me", I won't say how unless you PM me, but they were very cool.

Edit: I decided to plug in those mentioned artist into BPM Supreme to see what turned up:

All but Boehm & Luca Bisori came back with songs that BPM Supreme carried, granted, the others had between 3-8ish songs (I imagine the most " mainstream" of the underground artist's songs you listed), but they had them.

For $20, its worth a look into (and Nick, I think you need to revisit also, no offense intended).

Edit 2: Also, the "Throwback" catalog seems better over at BPM Supreme (for Top 40, R&B, and Rap).
    Last edited by DJ Boom Bap; 09-11-2014 at 07:54 PM.