View Poll Results: What type of DJ are you?

Voters
526. You may not vote on this poll
  • DVS or Software

160 30.42%
  • Strictly vinyl (collect and play records, time-code vinyl for DVS does not count)

44 8.37%
  • CDs only

28 5.32%
  • Vinyl & CDs

25 4.75%
  • Both CDs & DVS/Software

58 11.03%
  • DVS & Vinyl

90 17.11%
  • I play it all (Vinyl, CDs & DVS/Software)

121 23.00%
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of DJ are you? Strictly digital? Do you spin vinyl records?

As a child of the 90's growing up around computers, I currently use an exclusively digital set-up of a home computer, mouse and keyboard but then I'm entirely new to all this (I only started practicing in January) and don't yet have myself a controller or a laptop. I'm planning to get myself a NuMark Mixtrack Pro 2 in April and a MacBook when I go back to university in September where hopefully I'll have sufficient enough skills under my belt to perform for house parties and small crowds.

I hate it that i'm stuck to native instruments with my denon dn-x1600, i like rane a lot better and the denon sc3900 i haven't tried with midi...still, since i bought a lot of of
    vinyl from germany and i'd rather scratch with other mixers, analogue, cause of the sound which just is better with an anlogue mixer and i still have to install my desktop, toug i live here allready again for 4 months seady, only i broke my foot, which won't heal.....well the broken part which was v shaped and 1cm at the large site, gave on my paper,
    still an angle which wuld be oke.....so the cm had to heal from itself....,but after 2,5months lying on bed , it indeed was healed(cool to see how fast that went), but something ain't right, since i barely can stand on it.,so few scratching, lot of building(subwoofer-amp). But i have ni on my desktop, not laptop and impementing and lpd pas or something ike that, is a pain n the ass, compared to serato, which software i bought cheap withe mixer from disribiteur, just like oyaide cables, analogue and digital, which i sell again....here no difference.
    I like de dvs records with his nice grooves, especially with the vestax, which eat you vinyl quite fast, that's why i'm at the moment, installing a longer tonearm from carbon, costs nohing, besides the wire, to see which result it gives. I've tried an s tonarm, didn't work, but digital you can't skip ,i only wanna use th keyboard functions, and a couple
    on th denon x-1600, just some major functions, which you can remember, not a three-layer, where evry botton has a function.Then it's fun to do, bt first of all(fast) digitizing the bought records wit my rega hifi turntable (no,no....not a 5000euro one) and my audio interfaces has a phon input, which is easy. By the the ay, when it comes to records, th differnce between the quality of new records is really huge. wu-tang,new,is superpoor. Scratchy seals are allways ok, though i get the idea of bying the same record everytime. And i have to agree, that it amaze me that the sc-3900 ain't able to atleast take dvd. I mean..blue-ray 128gig.... but the gear is and stays the best for scratching, if you ain't got the space for tt's. The price is a give away.... But midi is also ancient, like mp3 and a cd can sound great, but that takes more then a cdj or sc-2900... those ae prices starting from 2000euro's and those contain a whole lot more that a hifi all in one set...... But on a cdj or so, it sounds....well enough for a dj,
    too bad to listen to., but take a look from the inside.....

Ravenna, NE. Somewhere betwwen here and Mars
    Akai APC40 in Traktor with my own MIDI mapping. Sometimes ill use an Elektrix Tweaker for effects.

At home, it's strictly real vinyl and digital timecode as part of my DVS (Traktor)...out at the clubs it depends on the set up. A mixture of vinyl and mp3s on a USB (CDJ) if I can, otherwise it's just CDs when playing out.
    Last edited by SplishDJ; 06-09-2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Correction
    Check out my weekly show on The *Underground Sessions, every Sunday afternoon from 12pm until 2pm - www.mixlr.com/the-underground-sessions--2
    www.soundcloud.com/dougie_dj || www.facebook.com/dougieldn || www.twitter.com/dougie_dj_

Vinyl only - as i primarily DJ reggae and ska music the best, and most authentic sound is from vinyl ! I have tried from my laptop and i don't like it call me old , old skool ha ha

I love the feel and the art of spinning vinyl, but I appreciate DJ's that use modern technology. I am open to try new things and know that to get on in the modern era I will have to learn to use alternative technology, but for now I'll keep vinyl alive!!

https://soundcloud.com/groove_party
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 11-18-2014 at 09:56 AM.

-KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Strictly CD's. I used to mix only vinyl, later shifted to Traktor only. Now I have a Rodec MX180 and two Pioneer CDJ's. Okay, it's pretty expensive but it's real DJing and the producers get payed for their effort.

Traktor (or Serrato etc) is great technology, but I prefer to beat match by monitoring. It's not only matching the beat but also sense better how tracks go together. Imo every pro should know how to beat match by monitoring. It's sad to see how many DJ's running software make technical mistakes because basically they don't know how to beat match.

DVS or Software
    Who i am , what i'm doing :
    All about me , my skills : www.cyry.me
    Listen & Download my mixes : www.djcyry.com

Digital exclusively