Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DJ Ethos (rules that DJs should live by)

245. Thou shalt remember to use thine ears over thine eyeballs 60% of the time, all the time

Also, if thine be a producer, thou shalt place song writing and arrangement above technical mixing ability

In other words, ya can't polish a turd folks

Thou shall approve of this thread. Behold now, a tough one to accomplish:

Thou shall not play shite music

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Thou shalt save for decent equipment instead of buying cheap crap
    In the DJ world, you really do get what you pay for. This is eventually learned by everyone, but I'll try to save you time and money. Cheap stuff breaks often and is unreliable. There are certain manufacturers that are always cheaper than others, yet the same more expensive manufacturers continue to dominate in the DJ equipment world.
    Aye

:edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Thou shalt do at least a little homework and learn some DJ history.

If I'm talking to a "DJ," and I make a reference to Afrika Bambaataa or Grandmaster Flash or (to a lesser extent) Mr. Fingers or a Guy Called Gerald, and that "DJ" looks at me like a deer in the headlights... it's disappointing.

It doesn't matter if your main DJ goal is to play nothing but Lady Gaga tracks on an iPod for three hours... you should take a little bit of time to dig into the rich history of the DJ culture and at least learn the names of a few of the main players and pioneers of DJing and dance music production.

Knowing the roots of DJing and dance music can make the experience much deeper and more fulfilling.

Thou shall not worry as I have this one covered. http://www.manu.dj/videos.html
    Last edited by Alex Murphy; 03-12-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    Shoot here -----------------> SoundCloud ________________________________ MixCloud________________ __________________YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Thou shall approve of this thread. Behold now, a tough one to accomplish:

Thou shall not play shite music

Aye

:edit:

Thou shall not worry as I have this one covered. http://www.manu.dj/videos.html
    Manu, you're getting mad rep for this post. After I'm done watching these videos. It's high-time I got me a history lesson.

Thou shall know thy place and not try to show up the headliner

This was posted backstage at a recent Tiesto/Hardwell show.

Last edited by BurntToast; 03-21-2012 at 09:31 PM.

#419. Thou shalt know basic music theory
    If you don't know, get your learn on. Ish like tempo, measure, key, rhythm, melody and dynamics will help you understand what you're mixing.
    Do you count bars? Can you ballpark a BPM with your ears? Just what is frequency anyway?
    Extra credit if you know your scales and chords.

#421. No Smoking!
    Smoking, even ganja, can eff up your gear. Buttons yellow, surface grime will accumulate, debris gets into faders and get stinky.
    A lot of us like to get blunted on the mix. You can take it somewhere else, then hit the decks. This should also apply to food and drink. Check your boy if he sets his Olde Gold on your monitors.
    Last edited by H.R. Smokinsh!t; 03-21-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: elaboration
    Get rid of your fu*king laptop!

Don't let drunk girls with drinks near your equipment; they might dump their beer on your laptop and then blackout and deny it was them who did it and refuse to pay you to get a new laptop

Thou Shall Not Chat Shit About Yourself Or Others

lying about how successful you are, & putting others down - sadly, it happens, but in my experience, those who chat shit get found out.

If you're gonna use sync in any way, shape or form, beatgrid your songs first.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    ...even if you have learned the basics... :frown:
    Yes! I agree.