Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RANT on Piracy

Just using other people's work freely in order to make money is non sense, unless those people have agreed that you do so.

Just like a moving company pays for its trucks.
    Just like musicians pay for their guitars, drums, etc.
    Just like a restaurant pays for the food it serves.

A DJ should pay for its music. It's a business.

If you pay 4000$ on gear and can't even bother paying for your tunes, you hould reconsider your career choices.

Just because piracy is copying, or because some say it does not hurt the artist, it still remains that this artist worked hard on producing a track, invested in a studio and often has years of musical experience.

Imagine if you put out a mixtape on SoundCloud. Then, one night, you go at that nice lounge in your area. And you hear your stolen mix playing on the PA system! I'm sure you'd be exploding in anger. But hey, making money from other's work without paying is not piracy it seems! (Funny how when the pirater gets himself pirated, the story takes a new perspective).
    Last edited by Signal Lost; 02-27-2012 at 12:03 PM.

As per George Takei this morning...

To err is human... To arrr is pirate!

Arrrrrr!

I hate Somalians too.

Doesn't even piss me off anymore, just take it for granted that all the digital guys just pirate the shit out of everything and have 200,000 tracks, you all sound the same and bore the shit out of me anyway, seriously doubt any of you have any skill and just let the software do it for you, my mum could do it if she actually knew how to use a computer. If I want a song I want it in my hand in record form, would rather trainwreck every track in a mix with vinyl than do a perfect mix on digital, what's the point? No challenge, no, effort, no skill. It'll be fcukng ipad djs next and I'm not even joking.

In addition do not value A-traks opinion on anything.

I enjoy paying for tracks since i feel the selection of music is always much better, you get album art, and you can choose your format which is a big plus if you love Wav files...
    Pay for quality!

And to BuddyUK^^, I disagree with your statement... I used to look down at digital but i see its potential...It is the furutre so get used to it. If you love spinning stricly vinyl than good for you. Truth is, with some of these newer setups i see dj's getting more creative with the music by focusing more on effects and other elements. I personally spin with cd's so im kinda somewhere in the middle but I still dont think vinyl is the logical way to go these days and ive come to try and appreciate digital for what it can do.

edit: sorry to get off topic...Back to anti piracy... :]
    Last edited by TopangaS2k; 02-27-2012 at 12:58 PM.

oh noz, thread heading toward vinyl vs digital again

back on topic. piracy = dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Signal Lost View Post
    Imagine if you put out a mixtape on SoundCloud. Then, one night, you go at that nice lounge in your area. And you hear your stolen mix playing on the PA system! I'm sure you'd be exploding in anger. But hey, making money from other's work without paying is not piracy it seems! (Funny how when the pirater gets himself pirated, the story takes a new perspective).
    The difference there, is that if a DJ is playing your entire mixtape in a bar then he's almost certainly doing that to pass it off as something he'd made. That would be the equivalent of me posting a track by The Prodigy in the production section on here and saying "I made this!", so it's not the same thing as piracy.

If you even put up a mixtape on SoundCloud in the first place, then you're guilty of copyright infringement just like pirates, unless you get clearance for all of the tracks.

My attitude to piracy is "try before you buy, but don't forget the 'buy' part when you like something". Back when I was a kid, people at school used to make mixtapes for each other (unmixed comps on tapes) and that would get them into certain singers or bands, which means they then became a fan and went on to buy their records. It's probably why some research done into this yields results like this: -

The Norwegian study looked at almost 2,000 online music users, all over the age of 15. Researchers found that those who downloaded "free" music – whether from lawful or seedy sources – were also 10 times more likely to pay for music.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...buy-more-music

music pirates and those that are against it but yet some are hypocrites. is a moral issue can't prove the next dj is a pirate. just like you can't prove your friendly priest is a pedophile. i' been a member of a few mp3 record pool's and video pools i can't prove that their music is legal or illegal but I'm lining somebody's pocket. i feel good and i leave it at that,

Quote Originally Posted by peterwo2e View Post
    just like you can't prove your friendly priest is a pedophile.
    this post for the win. comparing piracy to pedophilia