Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What synths are you guys using!?

Roland Fantom G6, yeah my only hardware workstation ROMpler & production tool atm..

Quote Originally Posted by Ver Jaina View Post
    Roland Fantom G6, yeah my only hardware workstation ROMpler & production tool atm..
    Nice man

Fav synth soft or hard - Moog Voyager (electric blue).

I have a Doepfer Dark Energy that I run through my Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal for some sick analog bass sounds, working on getting some more effects pedals to build a big system. One day maybe I'll invest in an A-100 system when I have a real studio or something (A man can dream). Other than that, I'm mostly software - Massive, Sylenth, Nexus, and a few Moog emulators

Quote Originally Posted by Sween View Post
    It's not the sound of the synth that makes it good, bad, poppy, original, different, whatever... it's what you do with it.

I hate the idea that today's songs need to use original "instruments"... like Deadmau5 has a copyright on a certain Massive saw oscillator or something.

Piano's sound the same (mostly)... and people have managed to be original with them for hundreds of years. Same with the guitar, or any other "traditional" instrument. Why does everyone think all synth sounds need to be original? And when someone popular uses a certain "sound" all of the sudden it's off limits to everyone else?
    I kind of agree with this, but a HUGE part of electronic music is sound design. With acoustic instruments you have a limited palette of tones and timbres, with synthesizers you have a virtually unlimited range of sounds at your disposal (although it is argued how many sounds are possible that are actually musical or listenable). So with this vast possibility of sound, why settle for generic sounds? It is a huge advantage that electronic music has and it's why I love it. IMO it should be used to it's full potential.

I will admit that getting unique sounds is quite difficult and requires a lot of hard work. It is not necessary as there are great new tunes out there that don't necessarily use any "new" sounds, but hearing tracks with impressive and fresh sound design is always more interesting.

You can process in many creative ways acoustic instruments, also from the middle of the XX century classical composer had experimented also in timbre based music with acoustic instruments and human voice, check this for example

Quote Originally Posted by AbstractQuality View Post
    I kind of agree with this, but a HUGE part of electronic music is sound design. With acoustic instruments you have a limited palette of tones and timbres, with synthesizers you have a virtually unlimited range of sounds at your disposal (although it is argued how many sounds are possible that are actually musical or listenable). So with this vast possibility of sound, why settle for generic sounds? It is a huge advantage that electronic music has and it's why I love it. IMO it should be used to it's full potential.

I will admit that getting unique sounds is quite difficult and requires a lot of hard work. It is not necessary as there are great new tunes out there that don't necessarily use any "new" sounds, but hearing tracks with impressive and fresh sound design is always more interesting.
    Coming up with a new sound is cool... but just because a song has an amazing new sound should not automatically make it a great song. This is my problem with artists like Deadmau5. I enjoy listening to his instruments... and aurally his tracks sound really cool... but many lack the structure and dynamics necessary for a great song.

Logic ES2

I love it

massive + albino

Quote Originally Posted by Sween View Post
    Coming up with a new sound is cool... but just because a song has an amazing new sound should not automatically make it a great song. This is my problem with artists like Deadmau5. I enjoy listening to his instruments... and aurally his tracks sound really cool... but many lack the structure and dynamics necessary for a great song.
    I believe we come from a bit of a musically different background. I see Deadmau5 as someone who doesn't really experiment with sound too much. I haven't heard all of his recent stuff but what I have heard of it sounds quite generic.

Some artists that I believe have interesting sound design: Sandwell District, Conforce, Mike Parker, Donato Dozzy (his Voices of the Lake project with Neel especially)

Anyway this is getting a bit off topic; I usually use Aalto, Ableton's Operator and Analog, and do a lot of processing with D16 Silverline plugins.

Not whatchya got, it's how ya use it

for the 'acoustic stuff is limited' above

luckily i don't have to worry about that saying when it comes to women.