Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I'm turning in my A&H DB4 for a DJM 900, (Talk me out of it, or thumbs up)

I run my setup at my house on QSCK12's and I had to put the demons to rest. I went to Guitar Center yesterday and with the mutual understanding between me and the salesman that there was a high possibility that I would not be keeping the mixer and "rented" it. I have 30 days to make a decision. The feel of the mixer is very different. Yes, more intuitive and better laid out, however, very limiting compared to the DB4 in terms of FX per channel, FILTERS,matrix inputs, and sound quality. You dont realize how god damn awesome those matrix inputs are until they are gone. There is without a doubt a degradation of sound quality and I noticed it immediately. My first "wow, this is cool" moment was the color faders. The ease of quickly applying an effect was pretty sweet, but honestly, I do not consider myself a pro by any means and I think the wow factor was just because I had never had a mixer that had FX that could be activated and adjusted so easily. The DB4 has effects that are probably more realistic and usable rather than cranking the noise filter whenever there is a buildup in a track.I have to say in this whole process I'm learning a lot more about the DB4 that I had not known prior. The DJM900's learning curve and intimidation factor is a lot less than the DB4. I felt A LOT more confident mixing on the DJM than I do on the DB4 and I've had a lot more practice on the DB4. Maybe it's due to inexperience/maybe its due to the intuitive layout, who knows?

That's real talk happydazE, thank you for the input!

Damn, I was going to offer a DJM800 and 100 quid for the DB4
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    DB4 Cons:

* Headphones don't have a split cue mode
    Not true, the DB4 does have split cue, it's just not a button on the mixer, it's an option in the setup menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Konix View Post
    Not true, the DB4 does have split cue, it's just not a button on the mixer, it's an option in the setup menu.
    This is personally why I mix with a Pioneer, I don't like working with a mixer complicated enough to require a setup menu. The Pio 850 and 900 are both very intuitive and the FX are just enough for what I need -- I hardly use anything besides the filter and crush fx. Looking at the DB4 gives me a headache. As for sound quality, I've never had a gig where the Pioneer's 24-bit audio wasn't good enough. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Konix View Post
    Thanks for the correction.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

"Old man" Djing
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    This is personally why I mix with a Pioneer, I don't like working with a mixer complicated enough to require a setup menu. The Pio 850 and 900 are both very intuitive and the FX are just enough for what I need -- I hardly use anything besides the filter and crush fx. Looking at the DB4 gives me a headache. As for sound quality, I've never had a gig where the Pioneer's 24-bit audio wasn't good enough. But to each his own.
    ain't nobody got time for a set-up menu.

What happened here? Did the OP sell the DB4 for the inferior DJM 900? Yeah, there's snark in that question.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Denon DJ of Japan made much better mixers than Pioneer DJ.

D&M eventually sold off the Denon DJ and Marantz Pro assets to InMusic.

A&H could actually resolve the lack of physical split cue switch/button with just having the hidden split setting turn off when you cue two channels at once.