Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Being musically gifted?

Being musically gifted?

Hi guys
    I am wondering if we are born with musical talent enabling us to mix and produce music or it is something we can learn?
    I have always been passionate about my tunage but I am hopeless on the decks and even more useless on production software (I have had Ableton installed on my laptop for months and never used it, because it was too complicated). I really want to start mixing and producing properly. I want to do it for my own pleasure and fun, I do not want to be a club Dj or do it for money.

It's years of practice, especially for production. That stuff takes years to learn and then some more to perfect. Being passionate about it is certainly the best way to approach that, so you are starting on proper grounds... Stick around these boards and you are likely to learn some more on a daily basis.

Being born with musical talent is debatable, but the sooner you start, the easier you can pick up anything music-wise (theory, instruments, production, dj'ing, etc.). I started playing music way way young, so a lot of concepts are easy for me to grasp. Production is what I lack because I didn't start until around last year, so I'm fairly new.

Just pick up some tips and tricks, and practice practice practice.

In my opinion there is a difference being gifted in dj, and production vs piano or a violin. In dj'ing and producing there is a learning curve, where a gifted pianist will already know what to do. I've seen some mentally challenged being challenged (no pun intended) to memorize every single key to a whole song, that he has just heard for the first time, and he memorized the whole thing, now that's what I call talent.

I think its something you can learn. When I started I didnt know how to do anything. But, I was taught, and then I practiced practiced practiced...........and.........practiced some more, lol. I also think that some of us are gifted in music and for those, it helps them that much more.

You just have to keep in mind that neither of those abilities you just asked about (djing and producing) come to anyone over night. You have to put in the time if you plan on getting good.
    CDJ1000mk3 | DJM800 | SL3 | MBP | Xone 53 | Dicers

i can view it on both sides, huge classical artists such as Mozart and what not, they had it, created music (in a sense) that didnt really "work" but it DID!... But on the other half, most these 22 year old "superstar" producers started when they where 12, and their parents grounded them to the piano and such...

i wish i woulda kept at music, but i had no idea idea i was going to turn this passionate for it.
    Need a new Global Trance avatar, takers? :p

http://soundcloud.com/frequentflyermiles

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    It's years of practice, especially for production. That stuff takes years to learn and then some more to perfect. Being passionate about it is certainly the best way to approach that, so you are starting on proper grounds... Stick around these boards and you are likely to learn some more on a daily basis.
    Great answer, all it takes is practice. I have been around music (playing and preforming) most of my life so when I tried djing I was able to pick it up quickly and same goes with producing, If you have no musical backgroud then it will be harded to learn but by no means impossible.

time + hard work = success

the trick is finding out what success means to you

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cassette View Post
    Hi guys
    I am wondering if we are born with musical talent enabling us to mix and produce music or it is something we can learn?
    I have always been passionate about my tunage but I am hopeless on the decks and even more useless on production software (I have had Ableton installed on my laptop for months and never used it, because it was too complicated)
    I once thought Ableton was complicated so I never bothered using it. One day I thought to myself i'll never get better if I don't use it. For a week, all I did was watch ableton tutorials. After that week I had a better understanding of the software, and started applying the techniques I learned. I'm still learning Ableton. You just gotta be patient, it takes time.

Same for DJing, I was intimidated by mixing at first, so all I did was scratch (I'm not even good at scratching). I've been mixing for about a year, there's still plenty of room for improvement. You just gotta keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
    Being born with musical talent is debatable, but the sooner you start, the easier you can pick up anything music-wise (theory, instruments, production, dj'ing, etc.).
    "Genius is 14 hours work per day - Leonardo Da Vinci