Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: This is for all DJ's That use A Controller and never the club standard.

I truly hate it when djs show up late to set up their stuff. Back when I used Final Scratch(my age is showing) I'd show up during sound check to set up my equipment then leave. Didn't matter if I was the last person on. Who ever booked this guy should have made sure this kid showed up early to have everything set up for him to perform. Or at least knew that he was going to be using a controller and had everything ready for him to bring his controller. This sounds like to me a situation that could've been avoided.

i think you need to learn how to use a computer keyboard and a dictionary before you enhance your dj skills. that was one of the worse posts ive ever tried to follow

1. I had to read OP's post a couple times to finally get it. Jeez.

2. NS7 DJ showed his naivety by waltzing in with an NS7... to a CLUB, knowing other DJs were already playing. At minimum he should have checked with the club owner or other DJs beforehand to see what the deal was. Whenever I play at a new spot, I want to go to the venue at least a day or two before to check out the setup...

3. You really DO have to be proficient on all mediums nowadays as a DJ; Different mixers, 1200's and CDJs at minimum... Another reason I like to get to new spots early. I did a spot in DC for the first time a couple years ago and imagine my surprise when I go in and they've got an A&H Xone92 ROTARY. Had NEVER used a rotary before...
    mixcloud.com/mixxed

Quote Originally Posted by Mixxed View Post
    You really DO have to be proficient on all mediums nowadays as a DJ; Different mixers, 1200's and CDJs at minimum...
    Peeps who want to DJ at clubs, pay attention. You must be able to perform on at least on CDJs, TTs, and both with SSL and TSP. If you want to bring a controller, great - but make sure it's setup PRIOR to the event. If using the controller is inconvenient for others, don't expect to be able to use it.

Rep to VJQue for posting a relevant real-world problem.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Pretty good on TT's and CDJ's myself, never used a controller, as such, but I would imagine its also pretty easy. My problem would be with SSL. Never used it, and have no intention of paying out all that coin to learn to use it. If I rocked up to a club that had SSL on 12's and CDJ's I would just use the CDJ's. If it were just 12's, and SSL, I'd pretty much panic, then figure it out. Can't be that much different from TSP and VDJ pro.

I agree though, if you can only DJ with a controller, you probably aren't a Club Standard DJ, so probably shouldn't take club gigs until you can play TT's and/or CDJ's.

Cool story, but -5 out of 10 for being able to write a coherent story. Punctuation would have helped (comma's, full stops and most importantly, inverted commas to distinguish who said what).
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...
    Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: 22-06-2013

Should have had a

or even a

Fixed so others may be able to understand a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by VjQue View Post
    So last night were booked to spin at this they booked 4 dj's. So we get there and there is already 12's and a 57 mixer in the DJ booth.

the DJ booth is small, like only 2 people if one is pushed up against the turntable.

I setup for video and the other 2 were also ready. Except 1 had to install the drivers for the 57, installed and he's ready to go.

about 10:30 the last DJ comes in with a Ns7 controller and wants to setup in the DJ booth that has no room for his ns7 at all.

so the club is crowded, and he's getting mad cause were like there is no way to set you up.

So he go tells the promoter and they come over and say why he cant setup.

We're like, "where can he put the ns7 ????? no room in the booth." So he had to set-up right up the steps that the DJ booth & VIP use.

So we're like, "where is your cross stand.??" He don't have one. So they look for a tall table and find one. Now they want to cut off the system to run him in.

We're like, "You don't know how to use 12's and a mixer?" and he said "No."

I say, "Dude this is too much hassle with you blocking the stairs to the DJ booth and VIP area."

So the club owner comes over and asks "What's going on why you guys? Why do you keep stopping the music video DJ?"

We go, "We're trying to find a way to set him up so he can use his ns7."

The owner says "NO if he cant use what the other 3 dj's are using then he's not djing." And then goes to unplug that and plug him (me) back in. (Not exactly sure what's going on there)

The promoter said "I hired him to DJ" And the owner say's "you other 3 dj's are being uncomfortable cause your trying to hook up a piece that looks like the same shit right there."

He points to the crowd and bar and goes "look there all mad. so turn the video's back on."

The owner said to all three of us "can you guy's use that machine he has?" and we say "yeah." He looks at the dude and say "so why cant you use what they are using? they all can use yours."

so I say this "learn to use cdj and 12's or any turntable cause this will happen to you at a club if you don't know how to use it."

we wasted 1 hr trying to get him setup and the club owner shut him down like that.

we tried to show him how to use the 12's and mixer and he was like "no" he wanna use his, that's what he knows how to use.

well he didn't get paid or spin .
    I didn't edit out the poor use of the English language so much. Must be an NA educational thing.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...
    Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: 22-06-2013

Is it really a club standard or just a standard among certain genre of clubs? I've noticed that hip hop clubs prefer's TT's but the other places use either cdj's or allow controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by djAj90 View Post
    Is it really a club standard or just a standard among certain genre of clubs? I've noticed that hip hop clubs prefer's TT's but the other places use either cdj's or allow controllers.
    pretty much Pioneer DJM+CDJs and Rane + a pair of technics is the standard but yeah, top40 and hip-hop places tend to use the latter while venues that play electronic music tend to have the pio gear out with some spots rocking a Xone 92 + TT/CDJs.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

Yep I agree with the OP. DJing at a club, you need to be able to do it with anything in front of you. I go even a step further. I have VDJ, Serato and Traktor on my laptop. That way I will use whatever the majority of the DJs are using. Have said this before and will continue to say it. Learn the basics before you call yourself a DJ IE, beatmatching by ear, counting bars, and phrasing your mixes. That way you can use any medium.

This fool with the NS7 was probably syncing his way into a mix and calling himself a DJ.