Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ways to respond to: "This music is too repetitive"

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    Its the lyrics. Take away the vocals and most will hate it.
    You can honestly feel this way about a lot of hip hop music. Like whatever that Missy Elliot song was that sampled Cybotron's "Clear". I knew a fan of that song who didn't like the Cybotron track.

You can't expect people to have taste. That's why alcoholic drinks were invented... to make idiots tolerable.

-KLH
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Most electronic music is insufferably repetitive. It's the truth. The solution is to not let tracks ride all the way through. Intro, first buildup, drop, new song. Untz, Untz, Untz, Untz all night is boring.

It's the whole reason why I cant mix house for more than 20 min max when out. It gets repetitive. It's not so much the music itself sounding the same, its the tempo being in the same range.

like others have said this sounds like a programming issue more so than a edm problem. keep the styles changing so that you are building and lowering the energy. two tracks can have the same tempo and very different energy levels.
    Last edited by moyo wilde; 11-28-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Bring in the breaks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    Did someone mention hookers?
    Quote Originally Posted by RDRCK View Post
    am not brony.

Banned
    Tell them to listen differently?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    Most electronic music is insufferably repetitive. It's the truth. The solution is to not let tracks ride all the way through. Intro, first buildup, drop, new song. Untz, Untz, Untz, Untz all night is boring.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's an indisputable truth.

Quote Originally Posted by disparate View Post
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's an indisputable truth.
    don't even bother. he has a track record on the forum for not liking electronic music. it seems like captain obvious has figured out that electronic music is based on repetition

UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by EarnYourKeep
    name one dj that can replicate richie's drums in a minimal techno way, this coming from a plastikman background...then again i figure trance heads would respond this way they always seek the BUILD UP AND DROP THE BASS BRO

to the people saying it is a edm problem it really isn't, at least in my opinion. i play a 2 hour set of deep house/indie nu-disco/house/tech-house/techno and i can keep the dance floor moving even got some of my friends who aren't edm fans moving.

you just have to know your music. i also prepare my tracks. i place cue points so that i know where i am in a song, what will happen after i finish the mix. i also have my tracks well organized. so i know what music goes in what direction so i can keep things going or change it up when the time is right. i think it is also about being able to read the crowd as well.

in the end like one of the other resident DJs at my gig told me "This job is easy, give the people what they want." most people want to have a good time give it to them.