Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best system for SALSA (punchy bass needed)

best system for SALSA (punchy bass needed)

I got rid of my RCF art 312A's during the lockdown
    because i needed the money

but also i have been wanting to move on from them for a while, main reason is because quite a lot of my gigs are Salsa music, much of which was recorded in the 70s and 80s, and the tweeters on the RCFs are a little bit too "good"
    for it, the trumpets are enough to give you a haircut, The bass on the other hand is somewhat lacking in relative terms (i also do not have a bass bin). 2 RCF tops and a bassbin is a bit overkill for a 100 person gig.

so, im considering going with a line array system, like maybe the Evolve M30, or the RCF Jmix (white version)
    for looks, portability, but also i have a hunch that the sound will be more in line with what i want, with the bass on the ground and smaller tops
    as i understand it, a 10" sub on the ground should be actually fine for a punchy bass.

I may double up on the system over time, but one line array mono setup might do for now.

can i have your feedback please. some of you guys know somewhat more than I do about these things.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 09-23-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    so, im considering going with a line array system, like maybe the Evolve M30, or the RCF Jmix (white version)
    for looks, portability, but also i have a hunch that the sound will be more in line with what i want, with the bass on the ground and smaller tops
    as i understand it, a 10" sub on the ground should be actually fine for a punchy bass.
    Yes, a sub or bass module on the ground beats a conventional speaker on a stand every time. I disagree that a 100 person event doesn't need a sub, IMO if it's a DJ event at least one sub is par for the course, but that doesn't mean it has to be a big 18".
    The column speaker systems I have heard all sounded pretty good producing decent fullrange sound for recorded music, the one place they fall a bit short is in SPL capability but Salsa doesn't demand much of that so you probably don't need a big system. My exposure to Salsa is limited to a few selections at a wedding I did a while back, it dodn't really tax the gear I had for the event which included a pair of powered 12's with a single powered 18" sub.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

The one issue I have with most line array's is they are too short - not tall enough. I also play Salsa and the dance floor is usually packed, so if you're DJ'ing from a raised stage it's no problem, but if your setup is on the same floor as the dancers, the midrange and highs dies right there with them - very little carries over the top to the bar, other dining tables, etc.

I've always been surprised that Bose never offered an optional base that would allow an L1 to sit on a B2 or F1 sub that was laying on it's side.

The poor sound quality of 70's and early 80's Salsa - like it was done in someone's garage - is a separate issue.

Of those two I'd go with the RCF, although even that is no match for what I have in my living room. I'd lean towards the LD Systems CURV 500. It's more expensive, but buy once, cry once.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    Of those two I'd go with the RCF, although even that is no match for what I have in my living room. I'd lean towards the LD Systems CURV 500. It's more expensive, but buy once, cry once.
    why do you say that the LD systems CURV500 is better?
    i see them going for almost the same price where im based

Quote Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post

The poor sound quality of 70's and early 80's Salsa - like it was done in someone's garage - is a separate issue.
    well, it may be a seperate issue, but this is central to the discussion because this is the music we are left with playing.
    I know that in Colombia, where salsa is probably at its most popular, they do design their club sound systems to optimise for that 1970s and 80s salsa sound, usually characterised by a pretty hard hitting low end. so, obviously there may be limitations with a portable PA, but i want to be able to at least tip my hat to it with the new system.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 09-24-2021 at 08:02 AM.

well, it may be a seperate issue, but this is central to the discussion because this is the music we are left with playing.
    I know that in Colombia, where salsa is probably at its most popular, they do design their club sound systems to optimise for that 1970s and 80s salsa sound, usually characterised by a pretty hard hitting low end. so, obviously there may be limitations with a portable PA, but i want to be able to at least tip my hat to it with the new system.
    IMHO, you should still opt for a full range system, and EQ poor sounding songs accordingly. Stuff that has trumpets that try to rip your ears off, that you play frequently, you can permanently change in Audacity. For example, I've done that to Puente's Hong Kong Mambo and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
    IMHO, you should still opt for a full range system, and EQ poor sounding songs accordingly. Stuff that has trumpets that try to rip your ears off, that you play frequently, you can permanently change in Audacity. For example, I've done that to Puente's Hong Kong Mambo and others.
    problem is a 3 band EQ doesnt reach the frequencies required ,so there is a need for a 10 or maybe even a 20 band. I can EQ it digitally in Virtual DJ, using an EQ plugin on the master out, and that does help ! but I just didn't think my system was really the right system for the music. having two tops and no sub, it was just too sharp and clear, and not enough oomph. I have heard this system with the RCF sub, a friend has it, and yes while it does sound lush, its , as i said before almost too good. like, even when a speaker system sounds like its working hard this actually kind of helps salsa.
    I never permanently EQ a song , maybe i should, but i have always had an aversion to doing any destructive editing of my own on a song, apart from shortening the song or doing intros
    when you say full range, the arrays are also full range right? just different placement.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 09-24-2021 at 09:16 AM.

problem is a 3 band EQ doesnt reach the frequencies required ,so there is a need for a 10 or maybe even a 20 band. I can EQ it digitally in Virtual DJ, using an EQ plugin on the master out, and that does help ! but I just didn't think my system was really the right system for the music. having two tops and no sub, it was just too sharp and clear, and not enough oomph. I have heard this system with the RCF sub, a friend has it, and yes while it does sound lush, its , as i said before almost too good. like, even when a speaker system sounds like its working hard this actually kind of helps salsa.
    I never permanently EQ a song , maybe i should, but i have always had an aversion to doing any destructive editing of my own on a song, apart from shortening the song or doing intros
    when you say full range, the arrays are also full range right? just different placement.
    Audacity has a 31 Band graphic EQ built in, and I always rename the edited copy leaving the original alone. Yes, the "arrays" would be considered full range, but IMHO none will sound like a 18" sub with the exception of a pair of Evox 12's.

Let me be clear about this. I always DJ with a pair of 15" subs, not to dust the drapes and curtains, but to reproduce with some authority the low frequencies that gives music a warm feeling - the overall loudness isn't that high.

why do you say that the LD systems CURV500 is better?
    i see them going for almost the same price where im based
    Real subs use fifteens.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum