Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What should I play?," "what would you play?," "give me music!"

You probably didn't beatmatch them properly, one song is faster than the other or the basslines are clashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Era 7 View Post
    sure. there was a time i could only spend 20 bucks a month on tracks. makes library building kinda tedious. still did it.
    And I bet that $20 you spent, was well spent. Cause I know if I got only $20 this month to spend on music, I'm makin sure the 12 songs I'm buying are the best damn songs of the month and it's gunna make 1 heck of a party set. It all goes back to the OP statement... a DJ will hunt for the "A HA!!!" moments.

So I recently joined beat port, thanks for the recommendation, I've spent about 1 hour on the site total in 2 days... listened to oh, I would say, 30 songs, had 2 "a HA" moments. Dabbling in different genres, trying to see what else sparks my interests rather then what I am just comfortable with.
    Last edited by diceallion; 01-24-2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Play music, have fun, be proud of the moment, let the beat flow through your fingertips, your passion and dedication is the language for your own success. [/B]

Hello, my name is Chris Lepley and this is my first attempt at getting a mix together.
    I have partial vision and autism and visit the Vauxhall Community Hub where I am learning to DJ.
    This is my People's Playlist for Future Radio: sadly the station never actually played my set online.
    Please let me know what you think and any advice more than welcome.
    I would love to get into Hospital Radio or any other station willing to give me a chance. Any advice is more than welcome.
    Many thanks
    https://soundcloud.com/mix-messenger...-future-radios

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lepley View Post
    Hello, my name is Chris Lepley and this is my first attempt at getting a mix together.
    I have partial vision and autism and visit the Vauxhall Community Hub where I am learning to DJ.
    This is my People's Playlist for Future Radio: sadly the station never actually played my set online.
    Please let me know what you think and any advice more than welcome.
    I would love to get into Hospital Radio or any other station willing to give me a chance. Any advice is more than welcome.
    Many thanks
    https://soundcloud.com/mix-messenger...-future-radios
    Hey mate,

You're posting this in the wrong place...

You should post your mixes here --------------------> http://www.djforums.com/forums/forum...ix-Submissions
    DJ Forum Trance Champion 2013/2014
    Retired

Quick tip I'd like to add.

Go to your mom's house and look through her cd's! (If it's an option)

She'll probably have lots of tracks you can play, definitely more 80's and such that you can play.
    (Bon Jovi / Michael Jackson / etc.)

And perhaps go to the attic, wonder what you could dig out.

I actually miss the days of going to various record stores and picking out records to listen to based on artist, record label, sometimes the title itself, or the recommendation of the clerk (if I trusted him.her). There was a certain social scene about it that I miss. Checking out the songs online is definitely more convenient, more speedy, more up-to-date (which kind of trumps out the lack of face-to-face social scene and BSing with each other), but the fact that tech has made it much easier for many to make tracks, and the fact that some sites accept very questionable "productions" has made finding a gem that much harder. I have to listen through twice the amount of online content as I used to in a brick-and-mortar to find the same number of gems I couldn't wait to play.

Yeah, there's more opportunity, and what I might consider crap, someone else might consider gold, and vice-versa--it actually takes more homework now. Okay, that's fine, we do what we gotta do. But when someone else asks for my entire playlist, or names of all the songs I just purchased simply so they don't have to do the same amount of work? Not gonna happen. I'll tell you what that last track I played was, or even the last few if they really did it for you--I have no shame asking someone else the name of a particular track if I'm hanging out. But don't expect someone else to the work for you when it comes to the majority of your playlist. That's so disrespectful.
    Last edited by mosca; 03-23-2015 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mosca View Post
    ...But don't expect someone else to the work for you when it comes to the majority of your playlist. That's so disrespectful.
    I agree with what you're saying, but the thing that got me into DJing was sharing the music with someone else and seeing if they had the same reaction to it as I. When sharing a track or a playlist in a forum like this or in some other online venue, you don't see how the listener is impacted, so it lacks that human element. Still, when you get some positive feedback, it's a cheap substitute. I don't exactly have people coming over to listen to music like we did when we were kids, so the online sharing will have to do. One of the most enjoyable parts of DJing is when someone comes up to you and asks the name of a track you just played and tells you how much they liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who does not do dance or anything like that I do regular rock and country music?
    Be your self and don't worry about the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Am I the only one who does not do dance or anything like that I do regular rock and country music?
    I hear ya. I like older dance music (Stevie wonder, Bee Gees) but I am not too familiar with EDM and other newer electronic music. I am starting to get paranoid about the amount of Tom Petty and John Cougar I like to play!