Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there be any new genres or are we settled with it already?

/\/\/\/\/\

Dlove, do you have a larger pic of that chart? It's a little hard to make out.

In the meantime, there's always this old gem: http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    They are not new genres, though, they're sub-genres. And I might be wrong, but I'd say Trance & Hardcore are actually a sub-genre of House, as is Techno, and Breaks and *Drum & Bass are sub-genres of Jungle and original Breakbeat, which is a blend of Funk and Dancehall...Dancehall being a sub-genre of Reggae Music.

*actually, I'd say D&B was a genre in itself, because it invented timestretch.

there aren't that many 'pure' genres.
    LOL only house-heads think that everything is some kind of house

But seriously "The Warehouse" only came into existence in 1977, meanwhile already TONS of new music was coming on strong at that time:

Techno was here (Kraftwerk influenced everyone), techno did not come from house, house was influenced by techno!
    Disco was in full mainstream power (the movie Saturday Night Fever came out in 77)..
    "I Feel Love" came out in 77.. that track was influenced by techno and Italian disco, and in turn influenced EVERYONE..
    New wave / post punk.. synthpop was already coming up, world beat was a new thing (Talking Heads - Remain In Light came out in 1980).
    The whole new/wave+synthpop scene in the UK was coming up big time as a totally separate thing from US disco.. and definitely has as much if not more influence.
    Reggae became mainstream in the 70's then came ragga and ska..
    Hip-hop was already coming up in the 70's in NYC just not too many people knew about it yet...

So yea the musical styles that came after that had a lot to feed off of, not just "House".
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 01-09-2019 at 10:21 AM.

How Music Travels - The Evolution of Western Dance Music
    0:31

How Music Travels.
    Online infographic describing the evolution and spread of Western Dance Music. Tags: music, animation, color, timeline...
    https://visual.ly/community/interact...rn-dance-music
    Last edited by Windows 95; 01-09-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Yeah... House is a sub genre of Dance or electronica (a term i never use). I've always hated how people reference the Chicago thing as what started it all. Yet there were many other styles and sounds popping up all over the place that were equally, if not more influential. Possible what happens is people name drop and that shapes history... Just like in England, people in shows always mention the Hacienda, yet to the north east of England, it would of been considered gash, in comparison to the 'dance' or club music evolving there. We never hear those names mentioned in shows by the names who became famous, internationally, so to the next generation, the Hacienda it was.

Our scene as teenagers was 100% fuelled by Italia Disco (not that the fans knew that). Even obscure failed records, were brought back to life, many years later, once that 45 (-8) button was pressed. Nothing to do with American sounds, extremely European. Later, many NE towns had an obsession for MAKINA (Spanish rave) way after it had died in Spain. No where else in England would of even heard of it, big in some Scotland towns too. I remember going to Manchester and seeing NE rave anthems, big sellers, in the £1 bargain bin. Things were a lot more regional back then. Southern Hardcore was hated, too many pots and pans, D&B influenced. Originally it was all Scottish Bouncy Techno with a few European Cheesy imports. For us it was underground, in Europe it was POP. England was suffering it's awful brit pop, scruffy man bands, still in the 70's, commercially, which came back around again in the naughties.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 01-09-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    /\/\/\/\/\

In the meantime, there's always this old gem: http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
    lol this will be around and referenced until the end of time. Glad to see its still up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    /\/\/\/\/\

here's the link to the article

http://www.musicismysanctuary.com/th...e-music-genres

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    LOL only house-heads think that everything is some kind of house

But seriously "The Warehouse" only came into existence in 1977, meanwhile already TONS of new music was coming on strong at that time:

Techno was here (Kraftwerk influenced everyone), techno did not come from house, house was influenced by techno!
    Disco was in full mainstream power (the movie Saturday Night Fever came out in 77)..
    "I Feel Love" came out in 77.. that track was influenced by techno and Italian disco, and in turn influenced EVERYONE..
    New wave / post punk.. synthpop was already coming up, world beat was a new thing (Talking Heads - Remain In Light came out in 1980).
    The whole new/wave+synthpop scene in the UK was coming up big time as a totally separate thing from US disco.. and definitely has as much if not more influence.
    Reggae became mainstream in the 70's then came ragga and ska..
    Hip-hop was already coming up in the 70's in NYC just not too many people knew about it yet...

So yea the musical styles that came after that had a lot to feed off of, not just "House".
    well, I didn't say everything I said Techno & Hardcore

edit: and the only reason I used those examples was in reply...I suppose what I'm trying to say is, genres such as Techno are a result of a fusion of other genres...and I'll say it; if it wasn't for House, all the Hardcore peeps would still be mucking about with power chords!
    Last edited by dlove; 01-10-2019 at 04:16 AM.

I heard something brand new at a party called "Vague Terrain" in San Francisco and don't know what it is.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    well, I didn't say everything I said Techno & Hardcore

edit: and the only reason I used those examples was in reply...I suppose what I'm trying to say is, genres such as Techno are a result of a fusion of other genres...and I'll say it; if it wasn't for House, all the Hardcore peeps would still be mucking about with power chords!
    Sorry to be pedantic.. but you said Techno, Trance and Hardcore are all subgenre's of house.

Techno came before house, as did disco. Disco came from funk. House is a subgenre of disco influenced by techno. Techno did NOT come from house. And electronic pop was influenced by disco, synthpop and new wave. I think it's safe to say that trance is at least as much a child of 80's synthpop and popular dance music as it is a child of house.

And hardcore.. well, there's lots of styles of electronic hardcore, including hardcore "house".. but I think it's fair to say that Industrial has more to do with hardcore than house does.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic.. but you said Techno, Trance and Hardcore are all subgenre's of house.

Techno came before house, as did disco. Disco came from funk. House is a subgenre of disco influenced by techno. Techno did NOT come from house. And electronic pop was influenced by disco, synthpop and new wave. I think it's safe to say that trance is at least as much a child of 80's synthpop and popular dance music as it is a child of house.

And hardcore.. well, there's lots of styles of electronic hardcore, including hardcore "house".. but I think it's fair to say that Industrial has more to do with hardcore than house does.
    well, I'm not going to argue my admittedly 'wildly general' comment with a Techno pedant, that's for shure!

I was trying to link the idea that genres grow in relation to each other; they are not exactly stand-alone. I shouldn't have used the other guy's comment to express it, as I knew I was on thin ice as soon as I wrote it!