Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longest Speech

Question Longest Speech

What is the longest speech you've witnessed as a wedding DJ?

My record is 40 minutes - twice this year.

In May, the speeches went so long that dancing was limited to 20 minutes before the venue shut down. Their timeline had scheduled 2 hours for dancing. The mother of the groom spoke for 40 minutes, and his brother went for 30.

Fast-forward to this past Friday, when the MCs from May were guests at this wedding. We recognized each other and got to talking about the May wedding, and inevitably about the long speeches. They asked if there's anything they could have done as MCs to step in and tell the mom & brother to wrap it up. I've always struggled with this, as it would be rude to cut someone off in the middle of a speech. On the other hand, it's incredibly rude to talk for that long, especially when they've been given firm instructions to limit their speeches to 10 minutes max (which is still too long, in my opinion).

Back to the Friday wedding: the FOB spoke for 40 minutes!! Then went directly into the father-daughter dance. I couldn't believe the nerve of this old man rambling on & on. Even his own wife got up to go to the washroom I approached the MCs from May and said, "Boy, you sure know how to pick 'em!" They couldn't believe it either.

Thankfully this venue didn't shut down early like the May venue, so there was plenty of time for dancing. But the room cleared out by 10:45! I honestly feel like the speech was to blame, as the energy in the room had been great up to that point. It was like a balloon slowly deflating for 45 minutes.

So back to my original question: What is the longest speech you've witnessed as a wedding DJ, or as a guest?
    Last edited by cooper; 09-25-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Drop the bass, and the bacon.

I really cant recall one that lasted for more than maybe 5 minutes. I dont think I have ever witnessed one out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    On the other hand, it's incredibly rude to talk for that long, especially when they've been given firm instructions to limit their speeches to 10 minutes max (which is still too long, in my opinion).
    Just curious who's "rule" it was, or who made the call to give "firm instructions to limit their speeches to 10 minutes max"? Just curious & how they intended to enforce it... & why they didn't enforce it... Again, just curious.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    Just curious whose "rule" it was, or who made the call to give "firm instructions to limit their speeches to 10 minutes max"? Just curious & how they intended to enforce it... & why they didn't enforce it... Again, just curious.
    Instructions from the B&G.

But how does one enforce it without it being awkward or uncomfortable? The B&G shouldn't be responsible for stepping in. If speakers are being respectful, it's not something that should happen, yet it does. Frequently. So what's the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    So what's the solution?
    In TV they play the speaker out. (Bring up the music gradually while lowering the mike gradually, until the music drowns out the speaker.)

But I doubt that's a doable solution for a wedding DJ, since that will probably piss off the person speaking.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 09-24-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Yeah this would be easy if we were just soliciting random toasts from people - but we rarely rarely ever do that anymore. With the toasters typically being the second-most important people in the room, there's no way that I would cut them off without the direct approval from the bride & groom. Even then, if it was Mom or Dad giving a toast... man... that's rough... there is no win-win really.
    - jj -

YES Indeed Iam happy to report 54 Minutes from a Best Man Is still the record to beat for me set 4.5 years ago. To be fair it was an absolute cracker of a speech. Not to mention the Groom wanted to perform a few songs for his wife as a surprise which was good I played one song which I think was I would walk 500 Miles and the night was done. I always note when each person starts a speech and if it goes over 20mins I start to run the stop watch.
    OPOAT

ADDITIONAL - 12th October 2017 also set a new record 42mins for a Maid/Matron of Honour speech That's the most impressive set of vocals i have seen from a female i thought she was going to finish on a song but they ended up breaking into a flash dance still highly entertaining.

But correct you get some that are so small/short and insignificant or some that say.

'Yeah thanks F***rs' Mic Drop (me Ripping into them for dropping my mic LOL went longer than the speech)

But your right the short ones tend to loose the flow of the night. I hate when people try and rush the wedding formalities just to get to the party. Nothing worse than being rushed so much that they want to party at 7:00pm. No one has nearly enough in them and no one is ready to let loose. Its rare but it happens enough to remind you why its great to have a good MC or do it for them.
    Last edited by wapples; 10-26-2017 at 04:29 AM. Reason: A New Entry

40 MINUTES? 54 MINUTES????

That is insane!

-KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I've djed for a few canadian weddings and they have had very long speeches. The best man was 45 min and the father of the groom was like 20 more. It's weird. I don't know if that's normal in Canada but it's not normal here.

15 minutes, then 10 minutes, then another 15 minutes and then the cake cutting, first dance, garter and bouquet toss YES the dancing was limited. But I don't mind we get paid by the hour not by how many songs you play, hahahah
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

Had the complete opposite situation on Saturday: Zero speeches and no MC!! On paper, the lack of speeches sounds ideal. In reality though, it was super awkward. Everyone inhaled their plated dinner, so the kitchen was scrambling to get each course out. With a speech here and there, or the MC filling time, there's at least a flow to the evening, or something for guests to focus their attention. Maybe it was just the crowd, but I've never experienced such an awkward energy during dinner.