Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: Small Questions Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Syfer View Post
    I try to figure out some technics on the mixer but I really get confused on something and I hope we discuss it here.

What is the difference between the following situations:
    1) Bass Fader in center position with Volume in maximum position.
    2) Bass Fader in maximum position with Volume in half position.

Note that I am not questioning what happens to the rest of the sound like Mids and Highs but specific as example on the Low Frequency.
    I believe you may be "over thinking" this issue.
    Try thinking about the sound on a frequency graph.
    So the volume is the Y axis and the freaqency on the x axis.

For example purposes:

Boost the volume and all the sound frequencies get boosted by the same amount.
    Boost bass/treble/mid and that section gets boosted.
    What you hear is the comparison between the levels of frequency.

In other words, what you hear is the only important point (as long as you are not overboosting any level over the point of distortion on of any component in your signal path).

Use EQ to control the track as you wish to suit the moment in time you are playing the track (or for the purposes of EQing to the sonic characteristics of the room you are playing). However, use EQ sparingly otherwise it does sound pretty bad. It is rare to need to boost bass frequencies - bass has a lot of energy and can overpower the other frequencies very easily,as well as having the possibility to damage equipment further down the signal path.
    Last edited by pete; 05-14-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Hi everyone ;-)

I'm very new to mixing, as I'm making my first mix, and would have a quick question regarding terminology.
    Let's say there's a song that's 5 minutes long, but I only like two different parts of it, for example from 1:00 to 2:00 and then from 3:30 to 4:15.
    So I blend those two parts together (fading in at 1:00, crossfading 2:00 with 3:30, and then fading out at 4:15), to get a 1:45 piece.

My question is: how should I call that piece in my tracklist?
    Should I just say Artist - Song (which doesn't sound accurate as the original song doesn't include that continuous 1:45 piece)
    Should I call it Artist - Song (DJWhatever Edit) (where DJWhatever is obviously my DJ name)
    Should I call it Artist - Song (DJWhatever Rework)?
    Or should I actually call it something else?

Sorry for the noob question, but I'd like to be as accurate as possible and not murder the actual terminology in place with my noob guess ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Take care guys.

Welcome to DJF, Nick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My question is: how should I call that piece in my tracklist?
    I call it the "Artist - Song (whatever the source remix is)" so that people can find that track. How it's being played is my creativity.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

If you are editing the track and then playing your edited version then I would call it:

Should I call it Artist - Song (DJWhatever Edit) (where DJWhatever is obviously my DJ name)
    Also you could edit/loop the bits together and add FX to make a longer track.
    If you are adding different elements and sounds to the track then I guess it is a "remix", but there are no strict rules.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome and answers, I appreciate it. I think I'll use the (DJWhatever Edit) extension then where it applies, mainly to show that I didn't just play songs one after the other, but actually made some work on some songs to make the whole thing sound smoother. I hear your point KLH though, and in some other circumstances I might just use the basic title without mentioning the edit aspects ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Also you could edit/loop the bits together and add FX to make a longer track.
    That's a great idea, and will definitely look into this. Any particular FX you have in mind to make the second instance of the loop not sound exactly the same but still sound good?

Thanks a lot. Take care.

Hi everyone,

New here and really sorry if that question has been asked before...
    I just have a quick beginner question regarding recording a mix then publish it on social media platforms such as Soundcloud.

Would you say that most of the professional DJs are recording their own mixes/podcasts by:
    - using their DJ setup (Tracktor, Serato, Pioneer), so playing live

or

- using a computer software to blend the tracks and avoid mistakes, such as MixMeister?

And finally as a beginner, in your opinion what would be my best options?

Thanks for your response.

virtual dj and serato have options of recording mixes on the s/w so i use that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Joff View Post
    Hi everyone,

New here and really sorry if that question has been asked before...
    I just have a quick beginner question regarding recording a mix then publish it on social media platforms such as Soundcloud.

Would you say that most of the professional DJs are recording their own mixes/podcasts by:
    - using their DJ setup (Tracktor, Serato, Pioneer), so playing live

or

- using a computer software to blend the tracks and avoid mistakes, such as MixMeister?

And finally as a beginner, in your opinion what would be my best options?

Thanks for your response.
    Hey Joff,

I would say man, if you're going to record a mix do it on the equipment you're learning to DJ with (for example, if you have a DJM mixer either connect via USB to your computer and record, or use a device to record the "REC OUT" signal from the back of the mixer).

It will help you to get your mixes super tight, and also, what you're putting out there will be an accurate representation of what you can do as a DJ.

Just my 2c.

Have fun man

I have a novice question. I've been looking for a small portable dj controller that will work with traktor. I was considering the Traktor Z1, but noticed it doesn't have sliders to control the bpm/tempo. My requirement is that it be small and easy to carry; I don't need scratch platters which take up a lot of space, but I do need tempo faders; using the software controls for that is a bit of a drag. Does anyone know of a controller that has these features?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GuruZ View Post
    I have a novice question. I've been looking for a small portable dj controller that will work with traktor. I was considering the Traktor Z1, but noticed it doesn't have sliders to control the bpm/tempo. My requirement is that it be small and easy to carry; I don't need scratch platters which take up a lot of space, but I do need tempo faders; using the software controls for that is a bit of a drag. Does anyone know of a controller that has these features?
    Thanks!
    Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3
    The platters aren't just for scratching.
    You need them for mixing so you can nudge songs and pitch bend songs to align them together without changing their pitch.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.