Thread: Surge Protected Power Strip for Mobile DJ?

Surge Protected Power Strip for Mobile DJ?

Hi,

I’ve just got myself a DJ controller to use with a laptop for mobile use. I’m looking for a power extension lead to plug in all my devices, such as laptop, controller, usb hub, and powered pa speakers once I have them. I’ve tried to search for any recommended ones and not really getting anywhere? I’ve read that some of them can eliminate hum which can be generated when using multiple power sources. Ideally I want to be able to fit the power lead at the back of my flight case so a power strip would be preferable?

Many thanks!

I own two DJ systems and I use these in both systems...

CyberPower Surge Protector/Power Strip

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00077INZU...p_mob_ap_share

Frankly, pretty much any good quality surge protector should be OK. I like the one’s I use because of the outlets on both sides, which allows me to plug in my rack-mounted components on the inside of my rack, and then I can plug external components (like my PA speakers) into the out-facing outlets.

I used to have Furman Power Conditioners mounted in my racks, but discovered they didn’t really add much value, but they DID add a lot of weight.

Don't fall for the marketing BS, a surge protector doesn't offer any real protection, it protects your gear from 1 lightning strike.. that is it and it wont help with voltage fluctuations or ground loops. If you want real protection get a UPS with AVR but that will add weight, otherwise a standard power bar is all you need.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Surge Protected Power Strip for Mobile DJ?

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Don't fall for the marketing BS, a surge protector doesn't offer any real protection, it protects your gear from 1 lightning strike.. that is it and it wont help with voltage fluctuations or ground loops. If you want real protection get a UPS with AVR but that will add weight, otherwise a standard power bar is all you need.
    ^^^^ Exactly... I have UPS’s in my sever racks, but no way I’d want to put that much weight in my DJ racks. I have to move those racks by myself, and I’m NOT a young man anymore.😄

It’s posts like these I’d like to give a 👍 Thumbs Up.😃
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 05-02-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    no way I’d want to put that much weight in my DJ racks.
    Note for DJ uses a UPS would be used to protect the low power devices like your console and wireless mics etc only. Powered speakers have enough protection builtin and it's not really feasible to provide enough battery capacity to be of any use for the speakers, the UPS required for a reasonable run time would make it the biggest and heaviest piece in your whole setup.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

No surge protector power strip will eliminate him from using multiple power sources. To solve that kind of problem you are best off using an audio isolation transformer eg. Art DTI if you are poor or Whirlwind ISO-2 if you are rich, to isolate the ground between the gear that is running from different panels, these isolation transformers are also magic when you have got a buzz from a laptop power supply that you can't make go away...

That said, the basic surge protectors in power strips have some value, they might save your gear some day. But they won't solve day to day noise problems unless you have got a strip that also includes an RF filter and that is what a decent quality unit like the Furman and some others will give you that a cheap plastic one won't. But again don't expect these to solve your day to day ground loop issues. There are some issues they will help with many they won't help with.

All that said, I do use Furmans in a couple of my racks and I also own a Furman 6 outlet power strip that I have had since the 90's and it looks pretty beat up but still works perfectly and that's the name of the game. I don't like to use cheapo power strips on my gear that have skinny underspec wiring or sketchy outlets that are going to result in shaky power or even a meltdown. I'm not going to let the reliability of a 5 figure system ride on a $3 power strip. So yea I do use these nicer strips for all the important stuff. Some of them have surge suppression some don't .. For example I use an APC PDU strip on the DJ table with 10 outlets on it.. It has no surge suppression, no switches to be turned off just a solid metal power strip and that's why I never have the embarrassment of losing power in the middle of the party.