Thread: Gig prices

Gig prices

Hey guys and gals. I was just curious what the going rates are for weddings parties etc. I have many lights lasers and professional fog and hazer which I charge extra for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moved to mobile DJ

Gig prices vary by location. Prices are usually higher in metropolitan areas than rural areas. Geographical areas like the south vs the wast coast in the states also dictate price differences.

Otherwise, there are many factors that reflect prices. Skill, equipment, reputation, etc.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Yeah you gotta kinda feel it out. If you're not desperate, you can start on the lower end of a per-hour fee and slowly keep raising it until you see the demand die off - then play around with that number as your activity level goes up and down. The more in demand you are, the more you can charge, etc. - especially when you start building a base of return clients and/or clients who tell their friends, etc. Corporate events are great for these - if you do well, they tend to bring you in regularly for any future events they have.

Researching prices should really be done on a local level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Drop the bass, and the bacon.

#1 mistake DJs make when pricing is they don't first calculate a rental rate for equipment. You should always charge for your equipment, this helps pay it off and covers you in the event something breaks down and you have to rent other gear to cover a gig. Typical rental rates are 5-10% of purchase cost. Then you add your performance fee on top of that and any other fees that a venue or municipality may add for parking or electrical access for example.
    In larger centers prices will reflect this method of pricing and will be higher in general because the established DJs will have figured this out, but in rural and smaller areas you may not be able to get more than a few hundred dollars for an average DJ gig, and this is why you see so much low quality and mismatched equipment at this level.. the business just isn't sustainable.
    I'm going to suggest that you do not bring out a ton more equipment than the competition and accept the same pay as they get, if you do this even once you will be stuck at that price level doing more work than the other guys for the same pay.. which doesn't make any sense. Yes you want to bring something to separate you from the other guys but make it better quality more powerful speakers or better quality lighting, people will notice that and if you DJ skills match you will get more business from it.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Ovy View Post
    I have many lights lasers and professional fog and hazer which I charge extra for.
    Multiple lasers at mobile level tend to look unprofessional and too random.

Thank you all, great insight !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Multiple lasers at mobile level tend to look unprofessional and too random.
    Not to mention hazers/foggers can set off modern fire alarms - not messing with that nonsense. Last thing I need in the middle of a gig is a fire alarm to ruin the night.