Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Moving Heads for $1,500?

Used Moving Heads for $1,500?

I'm looking to get some used moving heads for $1,500 each or less.
    Any suggestions?
    From a company located in LA would be prefferable.. such as Elation,
    so I can get things fixed quickly if need be.

On Craigslist I found an Elation Platinum 5R. Is that a good option?

It seems like the Elation Platinum Spot 5r is the best option for your price range but I think you'll be forced to buy used units at $1500 each, unless you buy in bulk. Some people will root for a well built Martin Mac solution but you'll still be getting a used unit that mostly likely was part of some company's inventory. Also, the feature sets of older Martin units are just that, old... plus the size and weight work against them. A lot has to be said about Martin's build quality though.

I am not in your same $money market when it comes to moving heads... I'm trying to stay under $1500 for a pair, LoL. Have you checked out the Blizzard Torrent 90's? It seems like they've had a spurious price hike recently but I believe they're still under $1500 new.

You may want to investigate if there were/are any issues with the 5r standard versions as I've read that early models had some issue. They now make a 5r Pro. If money wasn't an issue, I'd go with the 5r's.
    Last edited by GaFFLe; 04-27-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    Raising the bar...
    http://www.channelliveproductions.com/
    Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

It's probably a first generation 5r and they had problems. I'll second Blizzards Torrent 90 mover, under $ 1500.00 delivered to your door with a full warranty.

Elation Design Spot Pro's can be had for that price brand new.

Are there certain features that you must have?

One of my friends is suggesting a Clay Paky Sharpy clone for $1,200 new..
    Does that seem like a decent option?

I really actually don't know shit about lighting, just trying to get some decent moving heads for small-midsized events.
    I like moving heads with nice patterns to project on the wall behind the DJ and on the dancefloor.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskae View Post

I really actually don't know shit about lighting, just trying to get some decent moving heads for small-midsized events.
    I like moving heads with nice patterns to project on the wall behind the DJ and on the dancefloor.
    What do you mean by a "clone?" Unbranded knock offs?

If you going to spend thousands of dollars on some moving heads, get some from a reputable company WITH a warranty.

Otherwise your screwed if they malfunction.

What do you consider "Small/mid-sized" events? How many people? How large of a venue?
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

"Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

I do sound for events typically 200-1,000 people. Looking to ad some moving heads, one on top of each speaker stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskae View Post

Just so you know, Clay Paky has been really cracking down on people buying and distributing clones of their fixtures. Specifically the Sharpy. There have been charges placed upon companies and people before. Don't support knock-off companies in china. Theres a reason why the Sharpy costs what it does. Support companies with buying their own genuine. Not the Chinese knock-off companies that steal business from the real guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clay-Paky-SH...ht_2643wt_1092. <<<<<<<<<<< Is this what your thinking of buying?

EDIT: Like a previous post said. Design spots are your best option with what your working with. They been proven to have a decent reliability rate. Sharpy's aren't really needed for 1000 person events. Besides Knock-off Sharpy's aren't anywhere near the real deal.
    Last edited by LiteTrix; 04-29-2012 at 09:37 PM.

So the Elation Platinum Spot 5R on Craigslist is probably defective eh?

Another guy just posted a bunch of Elation Design Spot 250s..
    Should I get that instead?
    He's asking 1,200 each.. is that a good price or can I low ball him a bit?

Take a look at Blizzard's Torrent 90 moving head. Under $ 1500.00 delivered.

http://blizzardlighting.com/index.php/torrent90