Thread: Noise from Laptop only when A/C Adapter is Plugged In

Noise from Laptop only when A/C Adapter is Plugged In

Hi,

Anyone else have this issue with adapter noise coming out the headphones jack only when the power adapter is in? I bought an old Dell E6400, Win 10 and 4 gigs RAM ... when the A/C adapter is plugged in it gives a lot of static and pops coming out of the headphones; when its just the battery its very quite ... I tried a different wall plug, a different adapter (from a Dell E6500 witht the same specs), unplugged the cable from the powerbrick and I even have the exact same problem with a E6500 I got for back-up?

Thanks, Karma

Search for "ground loop" issue.
    One way of removing hum is to connect via a plug without ground connection.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Most laptops these days don't have this issue. BUT, regardless to that... DO NOT RUN YOUR SOUND FROM THE HEADPHONE OUT OF YOUR LAPTOP. Many of us did it in the past but we knew no better. There's no excuses for it now.

Use a professional audio interface, like 1 of these. https://global.novationmusic.com/launch/audiohub-2x4#

If things are that bad, if you can't afford an interface or a new laptop, as a last resort use a ground hum issolator (click me)

Edit: You can get them with RCA's. Although the issue with laptop noise isn't ground loop, it will remove, fix your problem. But don't forget, the laptop itself will still be quite poor in terms of sound quality. A pro interface or decent controller, is the only option for 'good' quality sound. to most it wont matter and it's entirely up to whether you care or not.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 11-27-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Most laptops these days don't have this issue. BUT, regardless to that... DO NOT RUN YOUR SOUND FROM THE HEADPHONE OUT OF YOUR LAPTOP. Many of us did it in the past but we knew no better. There's no excuses for it now.

Use a professional audio interface, like 1 of these. https://global.novationmusic.com/launch/audiohub-2x4#

If things are that bad, if you can't afford an interface or a new laptop, as a last resort use a ground hum issolator (click me)

Edit: You can get them with RCA's. Although the issue with laptop noise isn't ground loop, it will remove, fix your problem. But don't forget, the laptop itself will still be quite poor in terms of sound quality. A pro interface or decent controller, is the only option for 'good' quality sound. to most it wont matter and it's entirely up to whether you care or not.
    Thanks for that suggestion ... can you recommend a good audio interface (between $50 - $200) ... application is running digitally-composed backing trax for live use with my hybrid band. Thanks!

I did and included the link... the Novation audio hub.

For Dj use the main thing you are looking for is the 4 rca outs, to give the laptop 2 channels to the mixer. If you aren't using the mixer you can use the balanced jack outs and go straight to the amp.

You mention bands. You may want to consider https://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i...s/scarlett-2i4 this instead as you can use it as a recording interface too, it's main intention. Focusrite and Novation are sister companies and are mainly the only ones offering multiple out puts on PRO quality interfaces with minimal inputs. Usually the extra outs only come on the bigger, more expensive interfaces, which have loads of mic pres, inputs. I suspect this to change in the future as many project studio/bedroom users are jumping to dual monitor set ups, but no requirement for lots of inputs.

May I suggest a Pioneer Interface 2, here? it is dedicated especially to DJs.