Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best system for SALSA (punchy bass needed)

Quote Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
    Audacity has a 31 Band graphic EQ built in, and I always rename the edited copy leaving the original alone. Yes, the "arrays" would be considered full range, but IMHO none will sound like a 18" sub with the exception of a pair of Evox 12's.

Let me be clear about this. I always DJ with a pair of 15" subs, not to dust the drapes and curtains, but to reproduce with some authority the low frequencies that gives music a warm feeling - the overall loudness isn't that high.
    yea, my decision is also influenced by the fact that I do not drive, so Id be organising transport for my events via mini bus or hired driver, (long story, but most of my gigs are in clubs, i dont do mobile stuff regularly enough to need to drive) so this makes me want a compact setup too. but i have heard that the extra bass you get from a 12 or 15" or 18" on the floor vs a 10", is something that you dont necessarily need. Though im sure it does sound very nice.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 09-24-2021 at 04:50 PM.

You can get deep bass from a small sub, if it's designed to go deep.. you just won't get a lot of it.
    And conversely, there are larger subs.. like 18 inch subs.. that do not go very deep at all, but they do give you a lot of "not very deep bass"...

You have to look at the specs of the specific sub you are considering and decide...
    But bottom line is that, if you have been working without a sub, adding a good one will make a vast difference in your sound. PA tops in general do not go very deep, they are not designed to.. if you want deep they expect you will be using a sub.

Of course, if you are playing youtube rips, they don't have much bass anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    You can get deep bass from a small sub, if it's designed to go deep.. you just won't get a lot of it.
    And conversely, there are larger subs.. like 18 inch subs.. that do not go very deep at all, but they do give you a lot of "not very deep bass"...
    Some tubas and clarinets can go very low. (15 Hz which is lower than what most people can hear.)
    But if you remove the sound source (mouthpiece) from the horn (or tube) it starts off high pitched.

There are a few good-sounding hi-fi subs that only use an eight-inch or a ten-inch speaker.

PA subwoofers mainly use fifteen-inch (and eighteen-inch) speakers to push a lot of air for loud volume levels.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

You have to look at the specs of the specific sub you are considering and decide...
    But bottom line is that, if you have been working without a sub, adding a good one will make a vast difference in your sound. PA tops in general do not go very deep, they are not designed to.. if you want deep they expect you will be using a sub.

Of course, if you are playing youtube rips, they don't have much bass anyway.
    lol i am not playing youtube rips ....
    i was just asking on the other thread about it....

I collect salsa in vinyl and CD format and when working digitally i use Wav whenever i can

Well, of the two systems line array systems you mentioned (the EV or the RCF), the RCF would be my choice.. because it goes deeper and has more output. I happen to really like EV.. one of the two systems I mostly use is entirely EV (the other is EAW). But in this case it's really not the right system for DJing, that system was targeted more to live musicians.

There are other companies that make similar systems that are good. Such as FBT.

Either way I'd use two sets.. I cannot imagine too many customers being happy when their DJ shows up with 1 speaker, Stereo music has been the norm for 50 years now, I think people have come to expect it.

As far as your experience with your RCF ART tops, you could have just added a sub to them and would have gotten better results. It is very common that tops without a sub will end up sounding heavy on the highs and this (not always, but often) caused by the need to push them louder than necessary to make for the lack of bass. When you have got that sub in there, you will find yourself not pushing the whole system as hard, which almost always means a more pleasing high end.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 09-27-2021 at 11:45 AM.

Well, of the two systems line array systems you mentioned (the EV or the RCF), the RCF would be my choice.. because it goes deeper and has more output. I happen to really like EV.. one of the two systems I mostly use is entirely EV (the other is EAW). But in this case it's really not the right system for DJing, that system was targeted more to live musicians.

There are other companies that make similar systems that are good. Such as FBT.

Either way I'd use two sets.. I cannot imagine too many customers being happy when their DJ shows up with 1 speaker, Stereo music has been the norm for 50 years now, I think people have come to expect it.

As far as your experience with your RCF ART tops, you could have just added a sub to them and would have gotten better results. It is very common that tops without a sub will end up sounding heavy on the highs and this (not always, but often) caused by the need to push them louder than necessary to make for the lack of bass. When you have got that sub in there, you will find yourself not pushing the whole system as hard, which almost always means a more pleasing high end.
    what about the Evolve 50? to throw into the mix... I wonder if it has the same or better sound than the RCFs, its a LOT more expensive anyways. almost twice the price.
    but the one thing i like about the EV setup is how clean it looks (no speaker pole or cable), though i heard that the RCF maybe have a slight edge on bass, but this is just a maybe..

As far as your experience with your RCF ART tops, you could have just added a sub to them and would have gotten better results. .
    You are right, a friend of mine has this exact setup under my advice, and it sounds delicious.
    But its a little too bulky of a setup for me, and I dunno... I also used to hide the speaker poles behind scrims and, iv grown tired of the scrim look too
    I guess i just want to come out of lockdown with an updated setup
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 09-27-2021 at 02:25 PM.

Def you will get much deeper bass from the Evolve 50 than the 30 and probably more than the J8 as well.
    But I am just looking at the spec sheets I haven't heard them.