Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mastersounds v Formula Sound v Bozak

Mastersounds v Formula Sound v Bozak

Looking for a high end analog mixer and was wondering if anyone has experience with these brands. I've had my eye on the Mastersounds Radius 4v, but they are a smaller, newer company, so I'm not sure about customer service, build quality, etc.
    Formula Sound and Bozak are both pretty well established companies so I'm a little less worried about purchasing from them.

The Bozak has a separate EQ unit, so that bumps the price up significantly, so I'm thinking I may be deciding between the MasterSounds Radius 4v and the Formula Sound FF4.2R or FF6.2R.

Any info anyone may have would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

There's a two channel Formula Sound coming out in July, optimized for vinyl. I speculate that Master Sounds may follow with a 2V by the end of the year. Bozak is also preparing a new mixer, I've read.

Afaik Mastersounds is former Allen & Heath employees (and Playdifferently too)

I can't vouch for the newer Formula Sound mixers because I've never played on one but I have a mid/late 90's PM-90 and it's great. DanielS in here knows more about the vintage models as he owns a PM-80 iirc and a rare FS broadcast console with 100mm faders.

I've seen 2nd hand PM-80/90's go for around 500 on Ebay. The FSM/FF line of mixers can't be all that bad seeing they're affiliated with Funktion One but they sure have a hefty price tag.

As for a refurbished Bozak I suggest you ask MarioG on Wavemusic if he has one (I believe he's a former Bozak technician, Buzzy Beck was but he passed away some time ago) The ones on Ebay either appear to be in very poor condition or are overpriced, same goes for original Urei 1620's or LE's.

If I was looking for the ultimate in analog mixer and wanted faders, I'd probably get a Playdifferently. It's overkill on the number of channels for me, but it bugs me that the FFs and the Mastersounds all have Linkwitz-Riley isolators in the signal path no matter what you do.

I prefer to mix on rotary and my favorite overall rotary with the option of doing a path without test waveform mutilation is the DB4 right now, but obviously that's not an analog mixer. The MP2015 has tighter, cleaner, clearer sound, though not as lush as the DB4, but the MP2015 has non-bypassable isolators on the channels, that in my opinion probably should have been normal EQs (since there's already a master iso) or had a bypass at 12 o'clock like the X1800 has.

You want analog, though. A big Bozak or Alpha system is not a bad way to go if you don't mind using up a massive amount of space, but something as simple as a Rane Empath would also work for more on a budget or for a smaller setup. Condessa gets a lot of attention and seems to be the most reputable branding for boutique, handmade rotaries that try to do the Bozak sound in a tabletop. FYI, new Bozak is not old Bozak. Different companies and people.

FYI, the top-measuring analog mixer right now appears to be the Isonoe iso420. It got close to the MP2015's measurements for line in to line out.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 05-17-2019 at 04:45 PM.

to confuse things further, there's always E&S

http://www.electronique-spectacle.com/djr400.php
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Boutique mixers tend to have very long turnaround times, several weeks or even months.

It could be due to many reasons I guess, mainly assembly by hand, unobtanium parts from different companies, bank transfers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    Afaik Mastersounds is former Allen & Heath employees (and Playdifferently too)

I can't vouch for the newer Formula Sound mixers because I've never played on one but I have a mid/late 90's PM-90 and it's great. DanielS in here knows more about the vintage models as he owns a PM-80 iirc and a rare FS broadcast console with 100mm faders.

I've seen 2nd hand PM-80/90's go for around 500 on Ebay. The FSM/FF line of mixers can't be all that bad seeing they're affiliated with Funktion One but they sure have a hefty price tag.

As for a refurbished Bozak I suggest you ask MarioG on Wavemusic if he has one (I believe he's a former Bozak technician, Buzzy Beck was but he passed away some time ago) The ones on Ebay either appear to be in very poor condition or are overpriced, same goes for original Urei 1620's or LE's.
    I don't know where you got the info that Buzzy Beck passed away, but I just talked to him on the phone 5 minutes ago. He said he is still alive and kicking. He also said that he has enough parts to build 4 more complete Bozak mixers. So if you need an original Bozak, built by the master himself, send me a message and I can hook you up. He built my Bozak mixer a few years ago, and it is still going strong and sounds fantastic. He also told me that he is quiting next year and won't make any more mixers. As far as Mario, if you want to get ahold of him, your best bet is the rotary mixer group on facebook, the wave music rotary forum is pretty much dead. Mario rebuilds Urei mixers, most of the Bozak mixers he sells come from Buzzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    I don't know where you got the info that Buzzy Beck passed away, but I just talked to him on the phone 5 minutes ago.

Somehow I missed this whole thread. I'm biased towards Formula Sound, I think they're excellent mixers but you can't really go wrong with any of the mixers mentioned. I think you should just go with the one that has a layout you like. If you want a rotary mixer I'd say go for the Radius, Bozak or E&S. The Formula Sound rotary options have always felt a bit like an afterthought and the mixer layout usually is more suited to sliding faders.
    Last edited by Daniel S; 06-21-2019 at 02:49 AM.