Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ways to respond to: "This music is too repetitive"

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    "FUCK OFF" is an option.
    Definitely an option.

All music is somewhat repetitive. It just feels more repetitive when it's perfectly synchronized and sampled by a computer program versus someone playing an instrument. When you see someone playing an instrument live, there's always that chance that they could hit a different chord or melody. With electronic music, you know it's most likely going to be perfect every time. Also, you can say a lot of tracks are repetitive because they have such long intros and outros to make them mixable and DJ friendly.

buy a locked groove of a techno beat then just play it all night long and mix some riffs into it that will piss them off

I remember that Ricardo Villalobos did an April Fool's prank one or two years ago, where he released a podcast with 60 minutes of ...kick - clap - kick - clap - kick...., advertising as breaking the boundaries of minimalism. Until that point is reached again, nobody should be allowed to complain about repetitiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Miec View Post
    I remember that Ricardo Villalobos did an April Fool's prank one or two years ago, where he released a podcast with 60 minutes of ...kick - clap - kick - clap - kick...., advertising as breaking the boundaries of minimalism. Until that point is reached again, nobody should be allowed to complain about repetitiveness.
    would love a link to that.

*and don't link me to a "let me google that for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    would love a link to that.

*and don't link me to a "let me google that for you"
    Can't find it myself right now, otherwise I would've linked it in the first place

Here's proof that it existed though.

"Take this pill, it would make the music feel epic and deep"

Music is - by definition - repetitive patterns of sound. Lyrics - by definition - makes an instrumental a song. Popular songs tend to have a memorable hook that revolves around lyrics. For pop lovers, the hook is the song. In EDM, the hook is the groove that relies on the 4-on-the-floor beat. As such, lyrics are often extra and unnecessary.

While I can enjoy a good pop-track hook, I love EDM's groove more. I hope that EDM can survive once pop-music moves beyond copping EDM's sound and moves onto something else.

Remember when pop copped Eurodance in the 90s and early 2000s? I haven't heard any Eurodance since then... and I loved that stuff too.

I knew Eurodance wouldn't survive once it started appearing in kids shows like this:

-KLH

I agree with the argument that most music is repetitive. It just feels less so when you "understand" it or are in such a state that it pleases your tribal instincts (not necessarily referring to login's comment here :p).
    When it comes to a more subjective answer, I do prefer tracks that have 2-3 beats plus a melody. A couple of words or sentences maybe but preferably no lyrics.
    I was in Ibiza two weeks ago and apart from the fact that it's turning away from electro and welcoming pop I seem to have noticed a slight trend in playing single beats with the bass turned up to the max, and making some juicy transitions every few minutes.
    Get your name out there by being featured in the next TunesLetter! www.tunesletter.com

i dont think repetetiveness is the problem in dance music but just a simple lack of openess to new rhythms

i used to be a trance & techno dj during the 1990s and i used to eat and sleep that music during those days

but to be honest (now being 2012) i cannot believe how people do not get bored with the lack of any real changes in the rhythm over a course of literally decades....

i was at a party on saturday where they played trance and techno for a good portion of the night
    there was a DJ there messing with the EQs to create buildups in the otherwise fairly eventless tracks.

in my humble opinion, thats not DJing.
    staying within one rhythm is easy !!! and now with the "press-of a button" technology, anyone can do it !

the fun is in combining styles and rhythms !!

well thats my own philosophy, not enforcing it on anyone

by all accounts people still enjoy that "same old beat" very much and thats all that counts at a party i guess