Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-recorded mix: how would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by djnotapplicable View Post
    ahhh man..
    I know, I know, but if he’s just going to play a prerecorded mix, and hasn’t learned to mix live yet, Mixmeister would be a quick solution.😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JosepZ View Post
    Pete, I'm halfway through your Russell Davies mix and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Good job!
    I should get more into Deep House. This is good stuff.
    Mixmeister...don't knock it till you tried it.

The only listeners who really care a lot about how a mix is produced are DJs.

If you look at something like 2manyDJs or Girl Talk who use pre-prepared remixes and compare that to something like Enferno who does his liveremixing stuff....at the end of the day they all rock the party so only DJs care about the technique.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Very interesting reply, thank you very much. It helps a lot seeing things from another perspective, as my case is right your opposite. I've been doing audio editing for quite some time (as a hobby, not professionally), but I have zero experience in DJing. So I would definitely do it faster in an audio editor (Audacity) than with DJ tools... unless I get stuck with a transition that I can't seem to pull off properly (that has happened to me a few times working with rock music).
    Generally, I get a track added to a mix in less time than the duration of that track, but not always. Some of them are fairly long rock/metal tracks of which I only use a fragment.

Also, this way it's very difficult to mess up a mix. For 'destructive' editing (working with the waveform: cutting, changing tempo, adding filters, etc.) there's always the CTRL+Z option to undo, and and in 'non-destructive' editing (adding the waveforms to the project) you can always move the fragments around and play until you get the desired results.

Again, thanks a lot for your reply.
    Yea totally, I use Audacity too, but not for DJing.. more for remixing and for postproduction of live recordings.
    But definitely if you do not already know how to use DJ tools to mix live and you do know how to do it in Audacity, then you're totally better off with Audacity or some other software such as has been already suggested. It takes time and practice to consistently do good mixes "by hand" so that's probably not the way to go here.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Mixmeister...don't knock it till you tried it.

The only listeners who really care a lot about how a mix is produced are DJs.

If you look at something like 2manyDJs or Girl Talk who use pre-prepared remixes and compare that to something like Enferno who does his liveremixing stuff....at the end of the day they all rock the party so only DJs care about the technique.
    I'm new to all this stuff, but I suspect proficient DJs can care a lot and appreciate pre-recorded mixes if they're well done and show some talent and skill...

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Yea totally, I use Audacity too, but not for DJing.. more for remixing and for postproduction of live recordings.
    But definitely if you do not already know how to use DJ tools to mix live and you do know how to do it in Audacity, then you're totally better off with Audacity or some other software such as has been already suggested. It takes time and practice to consistently do good mixes "by hand" so that's probably not the way to go here.
    I have an audio editor tool I use if I need to concatenate some snippets of songs together that I intend to play for some specific purpose... like for a special bride/groom dance. I prerecord that stuff so I can record it and give it to the client in advance, and I play the recorded track as-is because I don’t want to take a chance of something going wrong (or messing it up) by mixing it live. For those special moments, nobody cares what the DJ’s doing anyway. If they’re watching me, something’s WRONG!!!😄

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    I know, I know, but if he’s just going to play a prerecorded mix, and hasn’t learned to mix live yet, Mixmeister would be a quick solution.��
    He could also save all the hassle and buy a mix online and play that.

I'm new to all this stuff, but I suspect proficient DJs can care a lot and appreciate pre-recorded mixes if they're well done and show some talent and skill...
    You are wrong - at least for myself. I play live for 2 hours a pop 5 times a week have one send in mix and record a podcast.
    Do I make mistakes live? Yea. Have I train-wrecked the sh out of a mix? Yea. Is it real? Yea.

As much as I hate it, my mistakes signify that I am getting better. It sounds counter-intuitive. The truth is that if you are not making mistakes you are not trying hard enough.

I am usually pretty good getting though a show with only minor mistakes which loom far above me, but I can always learn how to handle that situation better next time.

I think the cool thing about playing live is the human element to it. If something is a bit off for a second, or a drop is rushed in a mix, you know someone is playing.

If all your after is efficient DJing without mistakes, but without taking risks or using creativity for each particular transfer, then yea get an automix and put your tracklist in and get a vending machine mix.

I am not going to knock you for it. Everyone is entitled to their own ways of doing things. (This post could have taken a much darker tone...)

Quote Originally Posted by djnotapplicable View Post
    You are wrong - at least for myself. I play live for 2 hours a pop 5 times a week have one send in mix and record a podcast.
    Do I make mistakes live? Yea. Have I train-wrecked the sh out of a mix? Yea. Is it real? Yea.

As much as I hate it, my mistakes signify that I am getting better. It sounds counter-intuitive. The truth is that if you are not making mistakes you are not trying hard enough.

I am usually pretty good getting though a show with only minor mistakes which loom far above me, but I can always learn how to handle that situation better next time.

I think the cool thing about playing live is the human element to it. If something is a bit off for a second, or a drop is rushed in a mix, you know someone is playing.

If all your after is efficient DJing without mistakes, but without taking risks or using creativity for each particular transfer, then yea get an automix and put your tracklist in and get a vending machine mix.

I am not going to knock you for it. Everyone is entitled to their own ways of doing things. (This post could have taken a much darker tone...)
    Very interesting points, thanks for sharing.
    I am not for automixing, as I said in a previous post. I've made pre-recorded mixes manually using and audio editor, which I don't think is the same thing at all.
    I acknowledge that automated algorithms and filters can be useful for some people, but I choose to learn and do things myself.

Also, I'd like to point out that while you could pass an automated mix made with Mixmeister as your own work, none of my mixes created using an audio editor could be taken for a live session. It's a completely different thing that wouldn't fool anyone in that sense, as I skip entire sections of songs and create some transitions inside every fragment in a way that makes it clear that the mix was planned in a completely different way that has nothing to do with a live session. Or at least that's what I think.

Also, I'd like to point out that while you could pass an automated mix made with Mixmeister as your own work, none of my mixes created using an audio editor could be taken for a live session. It's a completely different thing that wouldn't fool anyone in that sense, as I skip entire sections of songs and create some transitions inside every fragment in a way that makes it clear that the mix was planned in a completely different way that has nothing to do with a live session. Or at least that's what I think.
    OK... but your original post only said you were looking for ways to record a mix for someone else to use at a party or bar mitzvah. If that’s the case, simply playing the songs on a playlist would likely do the trick, and since YOU would not likely be there, nobody would associate it with you anyway.