Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ways to respond to: "This music is too repetitive"

How much of the issue is the repetitiveness contained within one song rather than the repetitiveness of hearing the "same" 4-to-the-floor beat all night long? Its not that most of the people I talk to can't appreciate a house track, for example, but rather they don't want to listen to 4 hours of house music... they want some variation.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Its like any music you listen to if you arent a fan of it or dont listen to it on a regular basis. To me country all sounds the same, but Im sure if I listened to it often Id pick up on all the nuances people love about it. Same goes for house, theres plenty of variation within tracks and sets, but unless you listen to it and have an ear for it, its all going to sound the same to you, admittedly the differences between and within a house track are more subtle than in a country song, but you still gotta have an ear for either

Quote Originally Posted by ezelkow1 View Post
    Its like any music you listen to if you arent a fan of it or dont listen to it on a regular basis. To me country all sounds the same, but Im sure if I listened to it often Id pick up on all the nuances people love about it. Same goes for house, theres plenty of variation within tracks and sets, but unless you listen to it and have an ear for it, its all going to sound the same to you, admittedly the differences between and within a house track are more subtle than in a country song, but you still gotta have an ear for either
    Great point - how do you express this to someone else though?

Perhaps I'm making it out to be bigger than it is, but it seems that its easier to broadly identify and share those nuances you speak of with pop and more traditional (aka instrument-based) music compared the "electronic" or "computer" music.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

I get to the point now that I literally get sleepy with DJs playing the same music... Some local DJs around here think that they are in Ibiza and want to just play the same crappy house with no one singing, no real melody, just nothing. This is probably one of the reasons why I like latin clubs now more than just top 40 clubs...

here's how to respond......."it's dance music, it's supposed to be repetitive. Have you ever tried dancing to Metallica? You can't now fuck off."

Quote Originally Posted by contra View Post
    "it's dance music, it's supposed to be repetitive."
    Exactly this!

Just remember how this music was developed...

DJs playing Funk, Soul and R&B songs noticed that the people on the dancefloor showed the most ethusiastic responses to stripped down, drum heavy, and repetetive parts of the songs. So they tried to extend those parts, first by using multiple copies of the same song, then by making longer edits that focused on those parts of the records (which, by the way, led to the invention of the 12" single, as the 7" format couldn't hold those longer edits..).

This is also where beatmatching came into the picture, in order to keep that groove going without any interruptions.

Repetive rhythms have always been the back-bone and central element of dance music, everything else (melodies, lyrics) are only ornamental. A dance track can easily go without a lead melodie or lyrics, but it isn't a dance track if it doesn't have that repetetive drum part...

This is what sets dance music apart form other kinds of music. I got a feeling that most people who complain that dance music is too repetetive are people who just came into the scene from other styles and still want to hear what they are used to. This is probably why acts like SHM, David Guetta, etc. are so successful: even though their tracks feature dance music's typical drums, the else largely mimic pop songs (song structures, lyrics, melodies...).

Anyways, if you've never found yourself dancing to repetetive drum tracks for hours and hours, getting sucked more and more into the music until you forget everything around you (and no, that does not neccessarily mean taking drugs...), you've never really experienced dance music - you've just been dancing to some music.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post

Anyways, if you've never found yourself dancing to repetetive drum tracks for hours and hours, getting sucked more and more into the music until you forget everything around you (and no, that does not neccessarily mean taking drugs...), you've never really experienced dance music - you've just been dancing to some music.
    So true. Anyone whose experience of dance music consists of singing along/fist-pumping to some "EDM" at a "DJ concert" or a bottle-service club, or jumping about at a Deadmau5 gig cos everyone else is, or moshing to Skrillex, can STFU until they experience it properly

Ways to respond to: "This music is too repetitive"
    It's dangerous to go sober, drink this!

### Can you find the level of difficulty in this? ###
    Archives: http://jointsubcommittee.com
    Live: http://jungletrain.net/128kbps.m3u -- Tuesdays, 6-8pm MST - Darkstar & Goreteks

Made in NYC,Tested Overseas,Bottled in Miami,Sould to Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    i dont think repetetiveness is the problem in dance music but just a simple lack of openess to new rhythms

i used to be a trance & techno dj during the 1990s and i used to eat and sleep that music during those days

but to be honest (now being 2012) i cannot believe how people do not get bored with the lack of any real changes in the rhythm over a course of literally decades....

i was at a party on saturday where they played trance and techno for a good portion of the night
    there was a DJ there messing with the EQs to create buildups in the otherwise fairly eventless tracks.

in my humble opinion, thats not DJing.
    staying within one rhythm is easy !!! and now with the "press-of a button" technology, anyone can do it !

the fun is in combining styles and rhythms !!

well thats my own philosophy, not enforcing it on anyone

by all accounts people still enjoy that "same old beat" very much and thats all that counts at a party i guess
    Bavo!! Well said Matt. Now, let's get others to think along the same lines and will get back the parties we used to have..... This whole 1-2hrs of the same patterns has got to stop....

Try to mix subgenres and change your speeds ever so slightly as the night progresses. Switch between vocal tracks and instrumental tracks so it doesn't all feel like a constant bass kick with random melody.