Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing a controller to begin

Choosing a controller to begin

Quote Originally Posted by Gdr998 View Post
    I know, that's because I'm here to ask about. So for the controller choice could i bet on the ddj-400 or are there more convincing alternatives?
    So it comes down to software... If you’re OK with Rekordbox, the DDJ-400 is a good beginner controller. If you prefer Serato, then the DDJ-SB3 is the way to go. Cost is about the same.

If you want Traktor, the Kontrol S2 is a very similar design as the DDJ-400, and similarly (though higher) priced.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 04-15-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks, do you know if they are compatible also with the other softwares (for example can i use DDJ-400 with Traktor and VDJ)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gdr998 View Post
    Thanks, do you know if they are compatible also with the other softwares (for example can i use DDJ-400 with Traktor and VDJ)?
    Well... The DDJ-400 is a MIDI controller, so it COULD work with pretty much any of the DJ apps if you want to take the time to build a map. The better question is will it work with maps that are readily available??? And the answer is; Yes... You can get maps for VDJ and Traktor, and it comes with RekordBox, but not Serato. I suppose you could make your own Serato map?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Well... The DDJ-400 is a MIDI controller, so it COULD work with pretty much any of the DJ apps if you want to take the time to build a map. The better question is will it work with maps that are readily available??? And the answer is; Yes... You can get maps for VDJ and Traktor, and it comes with RekordBox, but not Serato. I suppose you could make your own Serato map?
    My interest is mainly on the possibility of using VDJ and Traktor with a DDJ-400 as alternatives to Rekordbox. Now I don't think that i could have a good feeling with Serato, maybe in the future.

Just another DJ jumping in to validate what DJ Bobcat has already said:

* Choose the software first, then choose the controller that works great with the software.
    * VirtualDJ is a great DJ app, like Serato DJ, NI's Traktor, and others. There are several DJs on DJF that use VDJ.

I'll add my two cents:

* While most controllers have a MIDI mode that works with most DJ apps, jogwheels/platters tend not to work well. It's best to choose a controller made for the software. In VDJ's case, read their forums for preferred controllers. You'll want something that works great out-of-the-box.
    * Once you choose your DJ app, pull it down and start analyzing tracks immediately so that when you get your controller, everything is ready to go.

Probably the most important advice I can give is to not worry about getting the ideal controller. When starting out, there's so much you pick up that after 6-12 months you typically will want to get another controller or TTs/CDJs. Just start and practice. The rest will happen in time. That also means that you WILL want to start saving up for the next gear purchase. It will likely be expensive.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...