Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mixing with out the crossfader

when you're mixing house volume slides are help ! sometimes mixing w/ the crossfader cuts the song your mixing out
    Confidence, and hard work is the key to success in anything. Lost track of battle record
    http://www.soundcloud.com/djarmanicee

the main reason I might use a cross fader over the line faders is because the cross fader is always linear. Some times the volume faders are logarithmic.
    AKA Will Cool -->Soundcloud ... Twitter ... Facebook ... Beatport

Quote Originally Posted by swine View Post
    the main reason I might use a cross fader over the line faders is because the cross fader is always linear. Some times the volume faders are logarithmic.
    Could you explain that? I don't understand.
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by DJNR View Post
    Could you explain that? I don't understand.
    Linear = 1 inch of movement, anywhere on the fader = a set amount of volume
    Logarithmic = 1 inch of movement varies depending where you are on the curve. Just imagine a curve going upwards. The first few movements, usually at the start, don't effect volume much. But as you progress and get closer to the point, a small movement will be large change in volume. So basically the first half inch you moved it, your volume goes from a "1" to a "2". But the second half inch, goes from "2" to a "4". This would be graphed like y=x^2., the linear equation y=x

So basically, by using the crossfader in this situation results in greater mix consistency regarding volume levels.

Hopefully you understand what I'm thinking/describing... and i'm not too far off base.

Quote Originally Posted by spiz View Post
    Logarithmic = 1 inch of movement varies depending where you are on the curve. Just imagine a curve going upwards. The first few movements, usually at the start, don't effect volume much. But as you progress and get closer to the point, a small movement will be large change in volume. So basically the first half inch you moved it, your volume goes from a "1" to a "2". But the second half inch, goes from "2" to a "4". This would be graphed like y=x^2., the linear equation y=x

So basically, by using the crossfader in this situation results in greater mix consistency regarding volume levels.

Hopefully you understand what I'm thinking/describing... and i'm not too far off base.
    Well put, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by spiz View Post

Is that always true, even if you have a curve setting that makes the upfader "linear" (by which I mean the little drawing on the mixer that is a straight line?)?
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Depends on the mixer. Many mixers have not just adjustable crossfaders, but adjustable line faders.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkleen View Post
    Depends on the mixer. Many mixers have not just adjustable crossfaders, but adjustable line faders.
    I've seen some that say they have a linear upfader but wasn't sure if the guy above was saying that none are truly linear.
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish_Fox View Post
    I've seen some that say they have a linear upfader but wasn't sure if the guy above was saying that none are truly linear.
    Yeah, not really sure what he is talking about saying "always"...nothing related to DJ gear is "always"

Quote Originally Posted by mrkleen View Post
    Yeah, not really sure what he is talking about saying "always"...nothing related to DJ gear is "always"
    So if I have my DJM 900 nexus set to linear volume fader, is that the same as the crossfader being linear?
    Equipment: CDJ 2000 Nexus, DJM 900 Nexus, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, AiAiAi TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition.