Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bride & Groom asking me to play these songs

Bride & Groom asking me to play these songs

I'm Djing for a Wedding this Weekend , and the Bride & Groom are Requesting some hard core songs during Dinner . ACDC Shook me all night long / Love in a Elevator / Paradise by the dashboard / Time Warp , and the list go's on . Now these are good songs to play , but not really during Dinner . Yes I called the Customer and they want these songs played during that time . I'm not going to to say no to them either , so Yes I will play the music for them , but I don't want to look like the bad DJ either, and have everyone looking at me like WTF is he doing . Now is there something I can say before hand , so I don't look like the idiot

I've got an wedding reception with the same problem this weekend except its for the background music while people are coming in to the reception from the wedding. I have also talked to the bride & ... well, she wants them played. There is even some cheating songs in the mix. I like to play something a little more low key for background music.

In all honesty, I have tried several scenarios from time to time when I disagree with the client on music. However, the bottom line with me is, its the clients party & if she wants it played.... I play it.... OR either I decline the gig. Don't get me wrong, she has some good music, but while the guests are arriving, isn't the time for this music...especially cheating songs.

I think people sometimes know the music they like... they just don't have a clue what the lyrics are, what its saying or when to play it & not.

But, I too am waiting on serious & reasonable idea's on how to handle this & if we should make an announcement in a tactful & respectful way as not to offend anyone but let the guests know... hey, it ain't my choice of music... this is the clients idea.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Those songs will be okay at a background sound level... I dont think you should stress it too much. I think most guests already assume the music is chosen by the bride or groom.

I have had many B&G's who don't want ANY of the boring background music. They want to dance as soon as they walk in the door. They'll take 10 minutes to eat/hit the bar here and there, but they want their money's worth!

Start playing those songs at normal background volume as Rodney suggests... and then if you get dancers I'd slowly creep up the volume.

No shame in giving them a party from the moment they walk in... that's what you do best anyway, right?

I wouldn't stress it. No one is paying too much attention during dinner, anyway. In fact, Dinner is best time to play the odd requests that the bride and groom have in there.

Play them towards the end of dinner....as you start to transition towards opening the dancefloor and you should be fine.

I totally agree with some of the previous posters. Don't sweat it, it's the best time to play some of those songs, nice and quiet and chances are no one will notice, or most of the guests will know they'd want that type of music played anyway.

Try having to play Too Many D*cks on the Dancefloor by Flight of the Concords for the garter toss, LOL!

I'd turn the volume down, bring the "contour" level up (on my BBE 862 processor), and enjoy the playlist!

Dinner music can be so boring, let B/G have some fun with theirs...

I'd also throw in "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Livin' on A Prayer" as they fit right in with their style!!!
    DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings

Went to a wedding recently and the DJ played "Hoodrat Hoodrat Hoochie Mama".
    DJM-850 | Technics 1210 M5G x 2 | CDJ-900 x 2 | RCF 312A MKIII x 2 - Soundcloud
    1-v-1 Battle Record: 1-0 / 1-v-1-v-1 Battle Record: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    I wouldn't stress it. No one is paying too much attention during dinner, anyway. In fact, Dinner is best time to play the odd requests that the bride and groom have in there.
    +1 Same with the background music. Most folks will be chatting the night away and will not notice the song selections unless you play them too loud.
    3 Owls Entertainment | GTA Toronto Sound, Lighting, and DJ Services
    Weddings, Company and Private Parties
    www.3owls.ca