Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: People who expect you to "hook" them up...

^ Quite a good poster above that i think most mobile DJ's should take with them...

I had to stop doing gigs for family members, especially my wife family members. They always wanted me to lug my equipment to their houses and they pay me in "food" and "beer"...that doesnt by gas for my truck.

CLOSE FAMILY--- Definitly wouldnt charge for it but to be honest I would most likely be partying with them. I couldnt do the party without being able to socialize and have a drink or two. When it comes to fam nothing comes first and I want to be involved. Not just that family member that can do shit like this.

VERY CLOSE FRIEND / NON-IMMEDIATE FAMILY----- This is where I get screwed up. I always end up just banging out the party and hopng for a tip. Id say up until 2009 50% of my gigs and concerts were thrown with no money being made by me. Just because I enjoyed it. Now Im paying for it.

ACTUALLY>>> Next May my wifes best friend is getting married and asked if I could do the party... TVs Photo Booth Uplighting... The whole 9. I said no problem and spoke to my wife after..."What is she expecting??? I hope she doesnt think Im going to do it for free" "I dont know babe, Im sure she does" OOOOOOOOOHHH BY THE WAY... IM IN THE WEDDING. This is going to be fun. Thank the lord that I have 3 wireless mics. Im still trying to figure out how Im going to do this.

FAIR WEATHER FRIEND / COWORKER---- Same idea as you.

FRIEND OF A FRIEND / ACQUAINTANCE ---- I would usually thank the friend for reffering me but Im in no way giving any discount UNLESS the friend is an extremely close friend and they asked me personally.

NOW... A little background and a question. I currently work non-profit, running a day habilitation program that serves the DD population, mainly Autistic adults. One of my guys Im very close with and their family doesnt have much money at all so I am doing their wedding in April of this year for free. My top package that goes for 4650$ and includes photography and my Photo Booth. This will be the only exception I make to my rule, only because this family has grown to be a sorta extended family of mine.
    *Your Event Matters FaceBook * Your Event Matters Website * MixCloud Account*
    DJs Photography Photo Booth Rentals and Beauty services

Everybody wants a break and if I can make them feel like they are getting a special price break they are happy. If they are happy they tell their friends. If they tell their friends I get more business. It's the whole circle of life thing going on here.

The point is you don't have to give someone a HUGE break to make them feel special. Since I set my own pricing on a gig by gig basis I am more than happy to give them a slightly inflated original price to give them a bigger discount. Even if I do give them a genuine discount of 5% to 10% off (for a friend of a friend of-course... genuine friends DO get great pricing if not freebees in my book. They are FRIENDS for goodness sake!) and they are happy with it I always ask for a little something back whether it be barter, referrals, or just permission to promote myself a bit more at the gig PLUS a person who feels they got a deal tend to tell their friends about the great deal they got... more business for me! To me a friend of a friend discount is nothing more than an advertising cost.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Donnie Lewis View Post
    ACTUALLY>>> Next May my wifes best friend is getting married and asked if I could do the party... TVs Photo Booth Uplighting... The whole 9. I said no problem and spoke to my wife after..."What is she expecting??? I hope she doesnt think Im going to do it for free" "I dont know babe, Im sure she does" OOOOOOOOOHHH BY THE WAY... IM IN THE WEDDING. This is going to be fun. Thank the lord that I have 3 wireless mics. Im still trying to figure out how Im going to do this.

I did this last September for a friend. My wife and I have known the bride since grade school. We were both in the wedding. My wife runs the photo booth side of the business and I run the DJ and Lighting.
    She wanted the whole nine. DJ, Photo Booth, Lighting, second setup for the ceremony.
    Wedding started at 5
    Day of we were on site at 10am to set up DJ, Photo Booth and Lighting (outdoor venue we couldnt get in the night before so setting up lighting during the day with no idea what lighting was going to look like.)

I think we were done by 1PM I had to run, shower and change into tux and be back for pictures at 3PM. I ran the night with one guy running sound I MC'd
    To put more presser she invited a local Wedding Magazine producer so I had to make sure I was on my A game.

Wedding was over at 11. We packed up and were out of there at 1 AM.
    No Joke I lost 15 pounds from the day before.
    never again.
    Michael Hernandez - No Limits DJ
    209-622-3280 - www.nolimitsdjs.com
    TEXT: NOLIMITSDJS to 55469 for more info

Quote Originally Posted by Djmike209 View Post
    I did this last September for a friend. My wife and I have known the bride since grade school. We were both in the wedding. My wife runs the photo booth side of the business and I run the DJ and Lighting.
    She wanted the whole nine. DJ, Photo Booth, Lighting, second setup for the ceremony.
    Wedding started at 5
    Day of we were on site at 10am to set up DJ, Photo Booth and Lighting (outdoor venue we couldnt get in the night before so setting up lighting during the day with no idea what lighting was going to look like.)

I think we were done by 1PM I had to run, shower and change into tux and be back for pictures at 3PM. I ran the night with one guy running sound I MC'd
    To put more presser she invited a local Wedding Magazine producer so I had to make sure I was on my A game.

Wedding was over at 11. We packed up and were out of there at 1 AM.
    No Joke I lost 15 pounds from the day before.
    never again.
    WOOOW not looking forward to this. She doesnt have a venue yet so I have noone to call to see if I can set up the evening before and just miss rehearsal dinner or break down the following morning. Not too sure how Im going to do the music but I do have a few friends that I can ask to handle the music during intros. After I should be ok. Its looking to be a pretty relaxed wedding and she wants me to party with them. I figured I could just set the auto on in serato for a few songs here and there, not to sure though. If I can't find anyone to do the music during intros I have no idea what Im going to do. Maybe look for a remote for my 1200s lol. I told her Im going to make it funny when I walk out to the best intro ever with the mic in my hand lol.

Yeah I kinda Lucked out. She is a good friend so my uncle (who is also a DJ) was invited. He MC'd the bridal party entrance for me. I couldnt cause they way the venue was set up we had to walk across a bridge and over a hill. Other than that I mc'd the whole night.
    Michael Hernandez - No Limits DJ
    209-622-3280 - www.nolimitsdjs.com
    TEXT: NOLIMITSDJS to 55469 for more info

Quote Originally Posted by Djmike209 View Post
    Yeah I kinda Lucked out. She is a good friend so my uncle (who is also a DJ) was invited. He MC'd the bridal party entrance for me. I couldnt cause they way the venue was set up we had to walk across a bridge and over a hill. Other than that I mc'd the whole night.
    Sounds like Im going to have a blast lol

Virtual DJ has a remote control app for the iPhone... I'd look in to using that if you run VDJ...

I flat out stop doing gigs for friends - I'll give that some CD's/mix mp3's and that is it.
    But since I do not make a living doing it I will turn down a gig as soon as my stated fee
    is not being met, nowdays everyone is looking for a discount not thinking of the fact that
    this is how most of you eat and pay bills.
    Last edited by Lazerick; 02-10-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    I Have Come Here To Kick Ass And Chew Bubblegum, And I Am All Out Of Bubblegum!