Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People who expect you to "hook" them up...

People who expect you to "hook" them up...

WHY is it that every person who is somehow connected to me expects a break on pricing?

What is your formula for the "buddy" discount? Or do you just not have one?

Here is my formula:

CLOSE FAMILY - I might do your wedding for free as a gift... but don't expect a gift... and expect to see me enjoying myself at the Wedding. I may even have a drink or two.

VERY CLOSE FRIEND / NON-IMMEDIATE FAMILY - Expect a deep discount, but do not expect a freebie... and expect me to be enjoying myself as well.

FAIR WEATHER FRIEND / COWORKER - Expect me to not rip you off. I will give you a VERY fair quote.

FRIEND OF A FRIEND / ACQUAINTANCE - Just because you know my Brother-in-law does not give you special privileges. If I don't know you, don't expect me to hook you up!!!!

I'm tired of getting calls like "Hey this is Frank, John's buddy... we met that one time at his party..." I don't know you! Everybody thinks they're connected to me somehow, I'm beginning to feel like Kevin Bacon!

Its the name of the game. I had a "friend of a friend" tell me. "How dare I charge so much people are trying to pay bills!" I told them "I know, The house I live in doesnt get paid on my good looks alone. I dont go to your job and tell you how much a whopper should cost"
    Michael Hernandez - No Limits DJ
    209-622-3280 - www.nolimitsdjs.com
    TEXT: NOLIMITSDJS to 55469 for more info

Quote Originally Posted by Djmike209 View Post
    Its the name of the game. I had a "friend of a friend" tell me. "How dare I charge so much people are trying to pay bills!" I told them "I know, The house I live in doesnt get paid on my good looks alone. I dont go to your job and tell you how much a whopper should cost"
    You're getting repped tomorrow...

Tell them you aren't running a UNICEF program.

Ha! Really though, it gets old. I had to look like the bad guy just a few weeks ago because my wife's - mother's - friend's - daughter was getting married and I wouldn't give them a "deal". Well, against my better judgement I offered free karaoke and dinner music just to try and be nice. Well, got a call and said they ended up finding something that would just do it for free since they didn't have the money. They were kind of rude about it all too and acted like I was the one calling them trying to get a gig. When, they called me and was pissed at the quote I gave them, a reduced quote for what they were getting at that. Oh well, whatever. Seems to be the growing trend. Spend thousands on cake, thousands on a dress, thousands on decor, etc... But it's a crime for the DJ to ask the least amount. YET, ask people about the last reception they went to and I can about guarantee you that it has to do with the music/dancing/DJ was good or sucked. Or that it was boring or fun. Not, oh...well the chocolate vanilla upside down basket weave cake was to die for. Or, OMG...did you see those awesome tea lights in the vases?

I love the people who think it's your loss when they say they're gonna hire someone else. Let me get out my violin. Go hire someone cheaper then... I am not begging anyone for bookings.

haha yea, I love it when people do that, they all want it free, Its no sweat off my back if my gear thats paid for sits in my closet. When it comes out, I get paid for it!

I treat relatives and AFOAF's (A friend of a friend) the same:

Like with Charity Cases -- I will offer to give them a 50% discount on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

This deflects any "He didn't offer me a break!" arguments. So you come away looking like a stand-up guy!

Now, if its on a Saturday, I will give them 20% due to the lack of marketing costs. That's 2x the discount I give to active military, law enforcement, and firefighters.

Friday or Sunday, maybe 25% would be taken off the regular price ($1000 becomes $750 -- still OK in my book).

DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings

Personally, I've got a minimum amount of money I need to see if I'm going to drag out all of my equipment. This covers my equipment rental and at least a little of my time.
    This is the "best price" that I give to people I think deserve it whether they are friends or friends-of-friends/etc..doesn't matter. I make a personal judgement call on if they are actually poor but good people...or if they are just cheap asses that aren't worth my time and energy. In my experience you never work harder or deal with more bull crap than when you take a gig for way less money than you deserve.

I love threads like these. Keep the stories coming!!
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

"Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

I've been thinking of having this sticker made and putting next to the "NO REQUESTS" sticker on my laptop...
    Music not only changes our mood, but it also changes the way we think and our perception of the world.