Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Mobile DJ'ing, need advice

New to Mobile DJ'ing, need advice

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I'm new to Mobile DJ'ing. For the first time a month or so ago, I DJ'ed for a friend's backyard party. I say "DJ'ing" lightly, because what I was using was an old Mac iBook with songs, an iPhone to request songs through iTunes DJ, and the friend's 75 watt guitar amplifier for the speaker. Yeah, I know, pretty basic . I had a mix of people, all the way up from 10 year olds to their parents at the party. By the end of the night, I had people commenting that I should DJ for so-and-so's wedding, birthday, etc. Needless to say, it went better than I expected, even with the pretty basic setup.

I'm now planning on getting more into it, and have been doing a lot of research on what I need to move forward. I have two weekend parties lined up for next month, both for friends to gain more experience. It will start off as a part-time basis, as I have a full-time job currently. I have the laptop and DJ controller, am using Serato, and am now at the point where I need to consider active/passive speakers. I'd prefer to keep the speaker/sub cost below $1,000. My main issue is that I'm not able to lift over 25 lbs or so, so that limits my options on speakers and rules out most, if not all, subwoofers.

My thoughts are that I should get a partner/partners that can help with this, or hire out moving heavier equipment to someone else. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience that would help on how I should approach this issue? I really want to get into this and succeed, so I'm interested in hearing what you guys/gals have to say.

Thanks in advance.
    Matt

Do you have a GF or BF to help you set up tear down

I'm in between girlfriends at the moment. Hoping to find one though at some of these parties though. (Yes, I'm kidding...mostly ) I've looked at the JBL Eon series, as well as some of the lighter EV speakers, and the Bose L1. Concerned about sound though.

Depends on what you want. I was going to suggest a B-52 Matrix 1000 system (used they go for 500-600)but the 15" sub is HEAVY. Most around here will suggest the RCF Art315A or 312A.
    What kind of music are you focusing on? Pretty much anything will be an upgrade to what you used before.

Active Speakers might be heavier, but they are easier.
    Just out of curiosity, did you just have hernia surgery or something? In the future, will you be able to lift more?

I just bought some M-Audio GSR 10's for wedding ceremony/extra speakers......they are cheap and pretty decent. They also make a 12" version, that should have a little deeper bass.

There are options out there for you, but for your budget there is limited stuff (that sounds good).

P.S., I have never used the JBL's, but if I can remember correctly, you're better off with something different.

I'm focusing on wedding/party type music, so anything from the 50s/60s on up to current. Doesn't necessarily have to be a speaker system that plays dub-step, e.g., but I wouldn't be opposed to it. Lighter is definitely better though if I'm going it on my own.

I didn't have hernia surgery or something similar. I'm pretty much stuck at my lifting capacity. I will have to check out the M-Audio series you recommended. Perhaps I should work on my budget as well.

Budget?

Prefer less than $1,000 for speakers/sub combo (2 speakers, 1 sub), but could go up to $1,500.

2 RCF 312a's and something like a ZXA1-Sub will be perfect and you could probably pull that for $1200.

It's beyond equipment that you should be looking at. You should have a look at some of the older threads that are pretty similar. You need to think about is this $1000 investment really worth it? Is there a market? Do you need insurance? Registered with a business license? You're also looking at more than speakers - you will need at least a wireless mic, lighting and all the odd's and sod's - cabling, road-cases and all those little things that you take with you to make life easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

I agree how long will it take you to recoup your investment.

No offense but cheap DJs are a dime a dozen these days. I made more 10 years ago then I do today for the same jobs.
    Bryan Sokoloskie * Socko Productions * (570)975-4333
    I help the little guy do that massive show they always dreamed about with my production team.