Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the garter toss work?

How does the garter toss work?

Woops, correction this is a "bouquet throwing" according to the bride/ her schedule

Noobish, I know, but tomorrow is my first bouquet throwing.

What should I expect? Do I call out all the single ladies? Then count 1,2,3? That sounds awful. How do you guys manage it? What do you say, what do you play?

I know, this is pretty last minute. Which is why I appreciate your help!

If this is your first bouquet toss then I'm guessing it is also your first wedding. LOL.
    Yes, she throws it over her shoulder so she can't aim it at one. Everyone will know what it is. Just tell them it is time for the bouquet toss time and you need the single ladies to assemble at such and such spot (on the dance floor often) and counting isn't a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Number one chosen song for this part of the wedding is Single Ladies by Beyonce.
    Bryan Sokoloskie * Socko Productions * (570)975-4333
    I help the little guy do that massive show they always dreamed about with my production team.

Quote Originally Posted by SockoPro View Post
    Number one chosen song for this part of the wedding is Single Ladies by Beyonce.
    true dat. Here's the DJ Intelligence complete list.
    http://www.djjimstacy.djintelligence...p?list=BOUQUET
    Quote Originally Posted by Elon_Musk
    Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.

Does your schedule look like this?

Garter removal --> Garter Toss --> Bouquet Toss --> Garter catcher puts garter on bouquet catcher
    Bryan Sokoloskie * Socko Productions * (570)975-4333
    I help the little guy do that massive show they always dreamed about with my production team.

Thanks everyone!

Fourth wedding. lol.

Sock Pro- nope, just bouquet. I'm pretty confident knowing the bride that all she plans to do is toss a bouquet. No garter.

Online research indicates after the cake cutting is the best. Reckon I'll just fade in Beyonce, announce it, call on the single ladies, count it down, YAY!, fade out Beyonce, get paid. Not something I'm looking forward to necessarily though!

Any other tips welcome! I'm a little unsure of my MC personality, which is why I don't relish the opportunity to cheerlead, direct attention here, herd people here, etc. I'm hired for my good taste in music, which I'm learning is only part of the battle!

I always do bouquet/garter (if they even bother to do either - very rare anymore) about 45 minutes after dancing starts, but that's the Chicago-style I've been following for years. I like to do cake cutting right after introductions to get the damn thing out of the way and off the dance floor, then speeches/toasts, dinner, first dance/parent dances, then dancing.

Usually the last formality... Check to see if the photographer leaves early as they sometimes do.... If they do, make it the last thing they photograph.

Make sure the photographer is ready... Make sure you count clearly to three, because they need to catch a photo with that thing in the air. I once had a photographer make me redo it 3 times because he kept missing the shot!

Make sure you don't set them up below a giant chandelier or something.

Quote Originally Posted by brawny View Post
    Online research indicates after the cake cutting is the best.
    That is pretty much wrong.

You want to use the garter and bouquet as a break after a set of dancing....later in the night. You dont want to jam all the formalities of a wedding into one time slot. SPREAD them out.

Usually do the Bouquet and Garter 1 hour in the dancing. Play a dance set, play a couple of slow songs, then do the garter and bouquet and then start up the dancefloor again with a big track....and you are back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkleen View Post
    That is pretty much wrong.

You want to use the garter and bouquet as a break after a set of dancing....later in the night. You dont want to jam all the formalities of a wedding into one time slot. SPREAD them out.

Usually do the Bouquet and Garter 1 hour in the dancing. Play a dance set, play a couple of slow songs, then do the garter and bouquet and then start up the dancefloor again with a big track....and you are back at it.
    True... Use it as a break. First break is cake. Second break is bouquet/garter.... At least when I do it.