Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Custom made patch panel for rack?

Sween - did you ever build yourself a patch panel? I am almost finished with mine.

-Jason

I'd like to build my own patch panel as well. I don't mind soldering, but I just don't have any idea what to buy!

Where can I buy GOOD, High Quality XLR cable, RCA cable, DMX cable, to use from the connectors of the patch panel to all the equipment in the rack?

What about the Neutrik connectors?

http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-co...is-connectors/

There are 14 different 'series" of connectors? How do I know which ones I should buy? Is there a difference in quality? Some one previously mentioned you should use high quality connectors. How do I know which ones are better than the others?

Will this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S12F/ Fit Neutrik connectors?

@DigitalArtDJs, any chance you can take a picture of the other side of your patch panel?
    Last edited by Synaxis; 07-24-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

"Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    Where can I buy GOOD, High Quality XLR cable, RCA cable, DMX cable, to use from the connectors of the patch panel to all the equipment in the rack?
    I like Monoprice for XLR cables. I have a few of their RCA's as well, but prefer BlueJeansCable or another source for those.

What about the Neutrik connectors?
    I bought all my connectors from Parts Express. If you look on page 2 of this thread I listed all the part numbers and prices from where I purchased mine.

Will this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S12F/ Fit Neutrik connectors?
    Yes.

@DigitalArtDJs, any chance you can take a picture of the other side of your patch panel?
    These are pics before I added my cables, but suspect they provide you what you wanted to see. The RCA's were a bitch to solder (plus I'm not great at soldering) because as you can see there is no wire stress relief on the back. The 1/4" connectors were easier although I "cheated" by adding crip-on ends to my wires, soldering the wire to the crimp-on, then soldering the crimp-ons to the 1/4" terminal - which provided a VERY secure connection. The XLR connectors I purchased required no soldering and I just use a standard 3' Monoprice XLR cable from the connector to their destination in my rack (Driverack or Mixer).

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalArtDJs View Post
    I like Monoprice for XLR cables. I have a few of their RCA's as well, but prefer BlueJeansCable or another source for those.

I bought all my connectors from Parts Express. If you look on page 2 of this thread I listed all the part numbers and prices from where I purchased mine.

Yes.

These are pics before I added my cables, but suspect they provide you what you wanted to see. The RCA's were a bitch to solder (plus I'm not great at soldering) because as you can see there is no wire stress relief on the back. The 1/4" connectors were easier although I "cheated" by adding crip-on ends to my wires, soldering the wire to the crimp-on, then soldering the crimp-ons to the 1/4" terminal - which provided a VERY secure connection. The XLR connectors I purchased required no soldering and I just use a standard 3' Monoprice XLR cable from the connector to their destination in my rack (Driverack or Mixer).

Thanks for your help, Appreciate it. +Rep
    - Synaxis || DJ Archer

"Common sense is not quite so common..." -Voltaire