Thread: Advice for buying speakers/amp

Advice for buying speakers/amp

Hi all,

I have come across what I think is a pretty good deal..Someone in my town is selling a pair of JBL pro series 46710k speakers for $450. They are about 30 years old, but they sound terrific. Just wondering if anyone has advice on this deal. If I were to buy these, what would be a good amp to buy for them?

Appreciate any help you can give.

Those are quite old but definitely nice speakers.. BUT whether it is wise to buy them really depends on what you want to use them for. They are VERY heavy at >100 pounds each.. they do not have a pole mount socket and are heavy enough that the idea of just drilling in and installing sockets isn't necessarily a good idea. And if you don't get them into the air they won't sound good. Also, while they have great low frequency response and thus would be good without a sub, they have low power handling, and moderate sensitivity for a PA speaker. The other thing to be concerned about with them is that if you do have a broken driver on one of them, then depending on the driver, it could be VERY expensive to get a replacement.. if you can find one at all. And, if you change it to a different driver than the original, the great sound will likely vanish.

These speakers were really designed for permanent installation in situation that are not crazy loud but that require high quality.. eg theatres... They'd probably be really nice at home if you have the room for them. Someplace where they won't get pushed too hard or get knocked around. They aren't really ideal to carry around for DJing.

Personally I would get something else. There are lots of older JBL speakers around at good prices that are better for DJ use.

But if you do go for it, you'll want an amp rated at around 400W/channel. So, there are a lot of options. The QSC GX5 would do the job.

Thank you, that was a ridiculously helpful response