Thread: Up****** speakers

Up****** speakers

I'm getting back into the hobby after 15 yrs out. I have a pair of Peavey Internationals 115's with updated scorpion speakers and P-22 drivers for mains. A pair of SP subcompact 18 in subwoofers(bandpassed enclosures) a pair of JBL GT series 15" subs in probuilt cabinets. And a set of MTX PH12s that I pole mount on the Peavey subs.

Now the question part, cash flow never seems to come quickly enough to upgrade everything. So, do I continue to run what I have until I can save up for higher end speakers ie: Yamaha,JBL,EV,Cerwin, or should I start replacing them as I can and if so which ones do you think should be replaced first. The current ones are all in good to excellent shape and have always been maintained and never over driven but I know that newer tech would have superior sound and be more efficient. Plus active speakers is my goal to save on rack space.

I've also been looking into brands such as Behringer,Mackie and Carvin active subs and tops. My target crowd size is up to 1k but mostly weddings and such at 400 or less so I would like to have enough headroom to cover the larger events. Also looking into outdoor events but there are way to many enviromental issues to address there so that subject will be saved for a rainy day.

Appreciate any input or suggestions Y'all may have

I know you don't have a specific budget, however what's your target budget? 1000 people: 2 JBL SRX722's over 278's will work and 4 RCF NX-L23A over NX-S25's will also work but cost about twice to three times as much.

If i were you, i'd be looking at 2 RCF 722A's a side over RCF 8003 subs, otherwise JBL VRX is always a good choice but all these options are rather pricey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

Well as far as budget goes I would love to say 3-4k but a more realistic budget for this year atleast would be around 2k. I keep looking locally and online for used gear but am afraid of buying someone's abused gear thats been polished up. Unfortunately 2k doesn't go to far when you start pricing high end speakers but I would hate to buy mid level and have to replace them in a year or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

This is my opinion and my opinion only. Not fact based
    What I have been suggesting to a lot of my dj buddies is to not replace but to recondition what they have if they have good speakers.
    On an off weekend, get out the sandpaper and paint. Sand everything down. Repaint em with some nice thick black paint. I like the Duratex personally. If they have carpet on em, take it off and get to sanding. If you have full grills, spray paint em over. If not, I would buy full grills. They look more modern. If you have 1/4 inputs, I would change em to Speakon connectors but that is just my preference.
    Up****** the appearance of your gear will make a huge difference with clients

Oh wow. I just googled the equipment you have and you definitely may want to look into buying new gear. A pair of ART312s and a sub should go a long way for you