Thread: Tascam DR-05 comes in loud

Tascam DR-05 comes in loud

I have a Tascam DR-05 field recorder. Whenever I DJ and use it to record, even at the lowest gain level, music comes in really loud. The gain input doesn't take it down to zero, its set at a minimum that I think is too loud to be DJing out of the REC output. Does anybody have a simple remedy for this?
    Check out my Official Website at www.priyonjoni.com
    Voted 2014 Best DJ in Des Moines, Iowa in CityView Magazine's Best of Des Moines

Hi,
    i bought the tascam DR-05 too, because a friend recommended it to me, and i ve got the same problem.
    my mixer is a allen&heath xone 22 and the recorded sound was way too loud... my friend uses the A&H xone 42, (to record the same tascam dr-05),
    he told me that it works if u put the input level in the prerecording setting (press record once) to zero and then, while the recording turn the gain up only to a small level.
    if u still have problems u can also try the setting "peak reduction" with using the button "quick" (in the prerecording setting) and selecting "level adjustment".

i hope that will solve ur problem

regards
    j.phono

It is a known problem with all the smaller Tascam recorders that the line input is designed for lower line levels and DJ mixers are standardized on higher levels.... eg consumer line level standard is -10dBv and most DJ gear is standard 0dBv. The solution is to get an attenuator cable or adaptor at least 10dB up to 20dB would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    It is a known problem with all the smaller Tascam recorders that the line input is designed for lower line levels and DJ mixers are standardized on higher levels.... eg consumer line level standard is -10dBv and most DJ gear is standard 0dBv. The solution is to get an attenuator cable or adaptor at least 10dB up to 20dB would do it.
    +1 - attenuator cable or adaptors required because the DR-05 max input level is too low for the output of a DJ Mixer. Either that or upgrade to DR-40 which can cope with the level.

It's a six years old thread but...you can take the signal from booth out. Or put a Fostex PC-1 on the rec out.

correct, thread is 6 years old and it is safe to assume OP solved his problem.

On A&H mixers you have line out, booth out and master out. Shouldn't be a problem to get a distortion free signal out, or you really need to read the manual.

OP of years ago solved his problem (or gave up) but poster of 2 days ago is having the same problem now.
    So thread is years old, but problem is not solved.. because someone else is having it and needs a solution.

And booth out is not a great solution if you happen to be using that output for the booth. For home users it's a decent solution.
    An attenuator is the right solution, because then you can use the record out anywhere you go.

Hi guys!
    Happy i found this thread and to see its not just me with that problem!
    I always read that people are so happy with the DR-05 but to me that makes no sense... the manual says max. input level is -4dB. My Xone 43 had min. 0dB. So that just can't work.
    My old Xone 22 has an record output between -10 and +10dB, so that could work but will probably distort, too.

I don't know what mixers all these people are using (regarding the output levels), but with my mixers and the ones my friends use, there is no way in getting a proper recording with the Dr-05.

As I said, you can make it work if you use an audio attenuator... Here's one for as little as $10..
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/axxes-2...RoCUSkQAvD_BwE

You can def get nicer ones though.... Sure if you don't have a recorder already don't get the DR05, but if you do have one, that's how you make it work....

The easy solution is to get a digital recorder that has a switch that will let you switch from mic input to line input, but a lot of digital recorders don't have that. It seems that most recorders are mainly made for vloggers, especially the smaller ones, since vloggers just need a mic input. I solved this problem by getting a small DSLR attenuator cable. I can now record my DJ sets, both audio and video, with my Panasonic GH4 camera, and since I record everything on the camera, the audio is synced to the video. The same cable can be used with any Digital recorder that has a mic input. It simply converts the Mic input, to line input, so you can record beautiful audio, straight from your DJ mixer, into your digital recorder. This is the cable I have: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...icrophone.html That cable also has a headphone cable, so you can monitor the audio that is going to your recorder. I have several digital recorders, and that cable works with all of them.