Thread: Mackie HD1801 or QSC KW181

Mackie HD1801 or QSC KW181

Hey guys I have been looking at these two subs for a little while now and can't decide on one. This will be my first sub I will be getting and would like to make the right choice. I know there is a lot of threads like this and have read them and done a search and both have good reviews. My current setup is 2 QSC K10's and my Denon MC-6000 controller. I would like something that wouldn't overpower the tops and actually compliment them nicely. I know the tops have the switch so when using the subs no bass comes out of them and all gets put to the sub. I am pretty new on this higher end stuff since the K10's are my first pair of really nice speakers and have features that I have read up on but haven't actually tried.

Any advice would be great. Also would I still go from the mixer to the tops and then to the sub or do the opposite? I will be getting 2 more 50' cables since I mainly just do small events and my speakers aren't usually that far from me.

Thanks

Vendor
    Get the QSCs. I'd be happy to quote you a price if you'll message me your zip code. As far as the cable hookup, with the QSC sub(s) you could wire it either way, since the subs and tops each have the approptiate filtering. So you could run cables to the sub(s) first, the tops first, or separate cables to each.
    Mike Pyle
    www.audiopyle.com ~ Audio/Lighting Sales
    707-315-6204 ~ mike@audiopyle.com

Sweet I do like the QSC but I haven't heard either in person yet since the stores around here that I know of don't have them out for a demo

Go with the QSC - good solid sound, solid construction, 6 year warranty. The Mackie HD series has had issues with the amplifier modules failing, co-workers band member brought one and it didn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

No question about that one, QSC. One of my local gear vendors used to sell a lot of Mackie gear & the SWA series subs used to line the stores back room as returns waiting to be repaired for customers (at one point the vendor offered me a pair for free that was no longer wanted by a customer who was tired of returning them in for repairs but I turned the offer down), the Mackie HD series also has it's own issues of reliability.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Banned
    Mackie has an awful reputation these days for gear failing time and time again, even after it's been repaired time and time again. Definately go with the QSC.

My residency uses a pair of HD1801s. They stay in repair and Mackie has taken 2 to 3 months just for driver replacements.
    Raising the bar...
    http://www.channelliveproductions.com/
    Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Mackie has an awful reputation these days for gear failing time and time again, even after it's been repaired time and time again. Definitely go with the QSC.
    Hewlett Packard the backbone of Apple data centers.
    I will not read anything in Comic sans