Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homecoming in a gym

I've got very little experience. But I always say to bring more than enough. I tell customers that for an extra $100, I can hire some additional speakers to make sure its all covered. better to have 6 tops at 50% volume that 4 at 100% and compromising sound quality.
    but don't put yourself out of pocket. explain it to them and let them know that it will cost extra. Hell, they probably have 5 or 6 PA speakers you can link together.
    what?

The cost to hire this out to a production company will be between $3000 - $5000.....

Just for my company to come in and only do the PA I would charge $2000. That would be 4 VRX932LA flown per side, 8 SRX728s subs clustered. Crown Itech Amplification and the power distro and I am probably on the low side....
    Bryan Sokoloskie * Socko Productions * (570)975-4333
    I help the little guy do that massive show they always dreamed about with my production team.

Are you in Boom Entertainment territory? They've set the bar so high in the Illinois area that it doesn't seem fair to the competition.

Some of these guys are making sensable but price lofty recommendations. Won't you price yourself right out the running by going with a 3rd party sound provider?
    Last edited by GaFFLe; 06-19-2012 at 08:50 AM.
    Raising the bar...
    http://www.channelliveproductions.com/
    Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbob182 View Post
    I've got very little experience. But I always say to bring more than enough. I tell customers that for an extra $100, I can hire some additional speakers to make sure its all covered. better to have 6 tops at 50% volume that 4 at 100% and compromising sound quality.
    but don't put yourself out of pocket. explain it to them and let them know that it will cost extra. Hell, they probably have 5 or 6 PA speakers you can link together.
    They approached him asking him to DJ an event with an expected attendance of 1000-2500 people - this sort of size event isn't going to be a cheap one, $100 costs go out the window in this sort of thing.

@OP - if you've got a spare 200k I know someone who's getting rid of a Meyer Milo system good for 60k people, that should sort you out
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rees
    Don't worry about it. Set them up, turn them on, listen to them, adjust if needed. No matter what you do, they're still going to sound like Eons

Quote Originally Posted by djscrizzle View Post
    I wouldn't touch 2.5K people with anything but a line-array system, either flown off the bldg steel or on flying stands (Genie lifts) The lighting would just about have to be 8-10 moving heads and various types of washes, such as colorstrips.
    I think you mean a flown array, not line array. Line arrays are not a magic bullet, and they have a lot of issues when being deployed indoors. They're the flavor of the month in big touring systems, but rock and roll sound guys have never been about what sounds best, but rather what's coolest. Line arrays can offer major advantages in some situations, especially out doors, but there are many situations where a more traditional system is better, if not cooler.

A traditional system with EV X-Array, Meyer MSL-4s, or Nexo Alpha would work just as well and probably better than a line array or constant curvature array (like JBL VRX).

To the OP, Ironman Sound in St. Louis is another large sound system provider in the area - I'm less familiar with them, but I've heard they do good work.

Is the cost quota of $3-4 a student really that pricey, if they charge $10 to get in....
    Bryan Sokoloskie * Socko Productions * (570)975-4333
    I help the little guy do that massive show they always dreamed about with my production team.

Quote Originally Posted by GaFFLe View Post
    Are you in Boom Entertainment territory? They've set the bar so high in the Illinois area that it doesn't seem fair to the competition.

Some of these guys are making sensable but price lofty recommendations. Won't you price yourself right out the running by going with a 3rd party sound provider?
    Not everyone wants to spend the money on a Boom Entertainment show (or has the student base to support it) This sounds like a school that might be able to support a Boom show, but I'd speculate that Boom wouldn't come in for a few grand. The small setups I've seen from them are in the 5-10k territory. Boom has a great thing going, but they aren't the only ones that can put on a great show. =)

Thanks a lot guys, you have all been really helpful. I have contacted the school informing them of my limitations and the options of renting from a larger production company. Hopefully they will bite the bullet and put the money into doing it right, but if they exaggerated the expected attendance then they may feel that my system is large enough considering how much larger it is from what they had last year.

My next question is, now that I'm upgrading my system and will likely have to work with a distro, I was hoping to get some information on these. I was looking at the Furman acd-100. I basically understand how it all works, but what do you consider when deciding what supply cable to fit it with (120V or 240V). Is it what you are going to be plugging into it, or is it what they have available on the venue side of things. Thanks for any help!

Gyms love folded horns. A gig that size would be well served with 6 to 8 folded horns stacked and wall or corner loaded if possible. For tops i would use pair of flown line arrays or 2 pairs of dual 15" 3 way tops.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_EventPro View Post
    Not everyone wants to spend the money on a Boom Entertainment show (or has the student base to support it) This sounds like a school that might be able to support a Boom show, but I'd speculate that Boom wouldn't come in for a few grand. The small setups I've seen from them are in the 5-10k territory. Boom has a great thing going, but they aren't the only ones that can put on a great show. =)
    My sound provider vote is for Nick Event Pro... call those guys, they know what they're doing. (-:

Send my referral fee to djgaffle@gmail.com
    Raising the bar...
    http://www.channelliveproductions.com/
    Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more